Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 - NAB Rising Star

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's a good idea Soupa, I guess the question is what is the fall back plan should no eligible player receive a vote in a particular week (which I'd imagine would happen reasonably regularly)?
    That is an obvious flaw and my only solution is in the event that no eligible player records any votes for the round that weeks nomination goes to the next best performing elgibile player based on their efforts prior to that round. So say no one gets any votes in round 3, it would go to the player who has gotten the most votes from rounds 1 and 2, thus doing the whole "rewarding him for consistency" thing.

Another flaw is inequal matches. ie. In a close game there might be roughly half the votes from each coach (so 15/30 all up) allocated to each team. ie. there might be an equal spread of votes given to the two teams because thewy both played well and both had good players. However in a blowout 20-25 of the 30 votes might go to just one team, which could inflate a young players good performance in a blowout over a young players good performance in a close match, when the latter may be more worthy of the nomination.

And finally in my argument against myself there is also the issue that there will be players who will have the "votes" to earn the nomination for multiple weeks, so do you nominate them 2, 3, or 4 times or once nominated are theu struck from the pool.
    Last edited by soupman; 28-07-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Just Hold Steady.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

The Gromit has to be a chance this week!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    The Gromit has to be a chance this week!
    I'd say Gaff has him covered

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Geez howd I forget about him :/ 31 Disposals (87% eff.) and 2 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on SS. West Coast's Andrew Gaff is the Round 19 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

2011 Rising Stars

1. Dyson Heppell - Essendon (Gippsland Power) - Pick 8 - 2010ND
    2. Luke Shuey - West Coast (Oakleigh Chargers) - Pick 18 - 2008ND
    3. Mitch Duncan - Geelong (East Perth) - Pick 28 - 2009ND
    4. Jasper Pittard - Port Adelaide (Geelong Falcons) - Pick 16 - 2009 ND
    5. Brandon Matera - Gold Coast (South Fremantle) - GCDC -2010
    6. Jack Darling - West Coast (West Perth) - Pick 26 - 2010ND
    7. Zac Smith - Gold Coast (Rockhampton) - GCDC - 2009
    8. Shane Savage - Hawthorn (Dandenong Stingrays) - Pick 75 - 2008ND
    9. Reece Conca - Richmond (Perth) - Pick 6 - 2010ND
    10. Jack Steven - St.Kilda (Geelong Falcons) - Pick 42 - 2007ND
    11. Jordan Gysberts - Melbourne (Eastern Ranges) - Pick 11 - 2009ND
    12. Sam Reid - Sydney (Murray Bushrangers) - Pick 38 - 2009ND
    13. Daniel Menzel - Geelong (Central Districts) - Pick 17 - 2009ND
    14. David Swallow - Gold Coast (East Fremantle) - Pick 1 - 2010ND
    15. Luke Breust - Hawthorn (NSW/ACT Rams) - Pick 47 - 2008 RD
    16. Jake Batchelor - Richmond (Dandenong Stingrays) - Pick 30 - 2010ND
    17. Trent McKenzie - Gold Coast (Western Jets) - GCDC 2009
    18. Allen Christensen - Geelong - (Geelong Falcons) - Pick 40 - 2009ND
    19. Andrew Gaff - West Coast (Oakleigh Chargers) - Pick 4 - 2010ND
    Last edited by The Coon Dog; 02-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

As did Fasolo, who has been good for a few weeks now.

Scott Clayton will be nervously shuffling in his chair watching Gaff and Heppell tearing it up at senior level already. Super early days but he'd be hoping like hell that Sam Day, Harley Bennell and Josh Caddy start to improve rapidly in the next couple of seasons, as Gaff and Heppell (and Swallow) look every bit the standouts of last year's crop. Richmond selecting Conca ahead of Heppell is also a cause for concern at this early stage. Polec was the only other non GC selection before Heppell and he looked a very smooth mover before getting injured this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Scott Clayton will be nervously shuffling in his chair watching Gaff and Heppell tearing it up at senior level already. Super early days but he'd be hoping like hell that Sam Day, Harley Bennell and Josh Caddy start to improve rapidly in the next couple of seasons, as Gaff and Heppell (and Swallow) look every bit the standouts of last year's crop. Richmond selecting Conca ahead of Heppell is also a cause for concern at this early stage. Polec was the only other non GC selection before Heppell and he looked a very smooth mover before getting injured this season.
    He was brilliant on Sunday. I went to the game and kept annoying the shit out of nearby Collingwood supporters with “Who the **** is that?”. Kicked a bag of goals and missed out on a nomination. Unlucky that Gaff tore it up same week I guess…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Harsh on Day and Caddy; Day was (and is) always going to take some time, and Caddy's out injured.

Bennell would be a concern though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Gaff is a dead set gun. Going to be a great player in a few years time. Still pretty raw.

Where/when was Fasolo drafted? He's been extremely impressive since making his debut. The fact that Collingwood can still find guns with later picks is a credit to them. I know it's easier to play for such a good side, but he has literally forced his way in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Where/when was Fasolo drafted? He's been extremely impressive since making his debut. The fact that Collingwood can still find guns with later picks is a credit to them. I know it's easier to play for such a good side, but he has literally forced his way in.
    Pick 45, 2010 ND. Looks to be a great value selection thus far, although I could almost look AFL standard playing in such a good side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    You play a game for Collingwood and you are automatically a star no matter how good or bad you are.
    I'll never forget when Cam Wight's dad was at Collingwood and the HS backpage headline was 'Pies star injured'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    You play a game for Collingwood and you are automatically a star no matter how good or bad you are.
    I'll never forget when Cam Wight's dad was at Collingwood and the HS backpage headline was 'Pies star injured'
    He kicked a bag of goals in his sixth game. Pretty impressive around the ground too, he moves with a lot of confidence (yes, probably because he's playing in a good team) and definitely looks the goods with both skill AND effort — a good mix.

I agree though that Gaff looks the better long term prospect.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't watch the game Friday night but judging by the stats and his previous couple of games, Zach Clarke is my tip for the Rising Star nom this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Are you that old? I thought you were in your 20s

Post Thanks / Like

The way they pick them each week I wouldnt be surprised to see Libber get chosen this week.
    Bring back the biff