Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Wallis in mix for Western Bulldogs debut

Jon Ralph - Herald Sun - 30 March

THE Western Bulldogs could give Mitch Wallis his first game against the Brisbane Lions on Sunday, with up to four changes possible after the loss to Essendon.

Wallis is in the selection mix after a poor showing from the established midfield, while fellow father-son selection Tom Liberatore played an excellent game against the Bombers.

Dylan Addison should return after serving a one-match suspension for striking St Kilda's Sam Gilbert in the preliminary final.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitch Wallis in mix for Western Bulldogs debut

already it's looking like the MC are going to have a hard time selecting each week. Finally we seem to have Depth in all areas of the field. Hopefully we can blood enough of the right players throughout the season and rotate enough so as to have the legs left in us at the end of the season

Post Thanks / Like

DFA would have stopped some of the bleeding last weekend, rarely loses a one on one.
    One of the slower developers but his improvement every year means he may well be in the best fit 22 come season's end.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    DFA would have stopped some of the bleeding last weekend, rarely loses a one on one.
    One of the slower developers but his improvement every year means he may well be in the best fit 22 come season's end.
    Gives 120% every week even though he doesn't have the skill level. Don't forget he is from NSW and was not brought up with footy.

Played well in the finals and deserves his spot, but where do you play him?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gives 120% every week even though he doesn't have the skill level. Don't forget he is from NSW and was not brought up with footy.

Played well in the finals and deserves his spot, but where do you play him?

Happy for DFA to play on the ball, forward or back. Similar to Picken, he has an agression about his game that seems lacking at the dogs (only round 1, I know). For mine, his lack of skill at times is more than made up for in effort and agression. A must to be selected this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4by2 View Post
    [/B]

Happy for DFA to play on the ball, forward or back. Similar to Picken, he has an agression about his game that seems lacking at the dogs (only round 1, I know). For mine, his lack of skill at times is more than made up for in effort and agression. A must to be selected this week.
    Do we play him as a defensive forward or does he play in the backline?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be happy to see Mitch out there, and yes, the return of the others is encouraging as well. After reading that article, I was surprised to read that Eade was critical of Hudson??? Huh, I'm no expert, but the MC picked a sole ruckman against two younger fitter guns?? I didn't see the game, so I don't know how Huddo played, but fair crack of the sauce bottle, it's a bit tough to be critical after putting him in that position? Am I wrong? Happy for fellow Woofers to tell me I'm way off track.....

Post Thanks / Like

I think you play him where needed. Would maybe like to see him in a run with role to start with and give Picken the opportunity to start as a defensive forward. Like the look of Picken in the forward line, hard tough and knows where the goals are - just hasn't had the oppotunity up there. DFA in the side might release Picken to play another role than run with.

Can also slot into the backline, although I think Gilbee has to come in and cover for Wood.

Overall, I think DFA is the ideal swingman.

Post Thanks / Like

I know his kicking isn't 100%, but just for something different I'd like to see him play the defensive forward, purely so Picken can play from the half backline and set up attack. DFA'd have Higgins, Grant, Gia, Hall, etc to pass off to once he's forced the turnover, so maybe that could work.

Even though we're all upset about last week, now is the time of year to try shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    Will be happy to see Mitch out there, and yes, the return of the others is encouraging as well. After reading that article, I was surprised to read that Eade was critical of Hudson??? Huh, I'm no expert, but the MC picked a sole ruckman against two younger fitter guns?? I didn't see the game, so I don't know how Huddo played, but fair crack of the sauce bottle, it's a bit tough to be critical after putting him in that position? Am I wrong? Happy for fellow Woofers to tell me I'm way off track.....
    I was surprised too, I thought Hudson battled as hard as ever. Perhaps he didn't follow instructions (whatever good they were when faced with Hille/Ryder), and consequently earnt Eade's wrath. Or, maybe the sly old bugger just doesn't want Huddo getting complacent, and wants to reinforce that there are other ruck options (albeit sans beard).

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree, he was excellent in the finals and busts a gut every time he plays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    As I said in the MC thread I think Huddo was the wrong choice for that game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I know his kicking isn't 100%, but just for something different I'd like to see him play the defensive forward, purely so Picken can play from the half backline and set up attack. DFA'd have Higgins, Grant, Gia, Hall, etc to pass off to once he's forced the turnover, so maybe that could work.

Even though we're all upset about last week, now is the time of year to try shit.
    Football this year looks to have trended much more towards kicking to a contest, where wayward kicking may on occassion be less of an issue than last year. Contested football looks set to increase as well.

Football has trended Addison's way this year and he could become quite an important player for us, especially if Cross/Boyd have a drop in output. DFA is perhaps more versatile than either of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Football this year looks to have trended much more towards kicking to a contest, where wayward kicking may on occassion be less of an issue than last year. Contested football looks set to increase as well.

Football has trended Addison's way this year and he could become quite an important player for us, especially if Cross/Boyd have a drop in output. DFA is perhaps more versatile than either of them.
    More versitile perhaps, but not as good.

Interesting that Addison's kicking doesn't matter but Cross and Boyd's kicking is their problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Given our group I like Dylan as a defensive forward, he's quite good in the air and generally I think his kicking/decision making is improving

In the final against Sydney he hit Hall with a couple of nice passes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    More versitile perhaps, but not as good.

Interesting that Addison's kicking doesn't matter but Cross and Boyd's kicking is their problem.
    I'm not sure how you took "less important on occasion" to mean "doesn't matter".

Boyd and Cross were smashed on Sunday. IF Dylan is able to provide some inside mid cover for the side, then he becomes an important player for us.