Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs plan for a Suns downer

Jon Pierek - The Age - 7 April

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon has said that the club has no choice but to deal with the ''swings and roundabouts'' of an imperfect fixture as the Dogs hope for a solid turnout for Saturday's home clash against the Gold Coast.

Smorgon and chief executive Simon Garlick hope at least 20,000 will head to Etihad Stadium to watch the Suns leave their first imprint in Melbourne although, as Garlick notes, that crowd figure remains an ''unknown''.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs plan for a Suns downer

Interesting article - the financial implications of hosting two Queensland teams so early in the season are enormous! I was shocked to read that we have over 8,000 lapsed members this year - what is going on there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    Interesting article - the financial implications of hosting two Queensland teams so early in the season are enormous! I was shocked to read that we have over 8,000 lapsed members this year - what is going on there?
    There is a half page ad in today's Herald Sun addressing this very topic.

A few years back Cam Rose made mention that we had one of the lowest 'churn' rates in the competition meaning our members sign up year after year... I wonder what has happened in these following years because these figures do nothing to back up this claim.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a thread recently where people were disscussing Bulldog supporters and their loyalty? I got the opinion that all was good.

Post Thanks / Like

Memberships aren't cheap these days. Sometimes loyalty has to take a back seat to the utilities bill.

Also, I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't resign if they don't get value for their membership. Just like SlimPickens and his gym membership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    Memberships aren't cheap these days. Sometimes loyalty has to take a back seat to the utilities bill.

Also, I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't resign if they don't get value for their membership. Just like SlimPickens and his gym membership.
    Hahaha - gold.

I must say - after the Essendon game I thought to myself that the loss could cost us thousands of members. Having such a downer to start the year - and then having two rounds where we are expected to win comfortably - and really gain nothing - a game in Perth, and then Collingwood as a somewhat likely loss - doesn't bode well for the sign ups on match day etc.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people have been hit hard financially, housing prices / rent.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I thought the young man looked like he'd filled out recently. Although the security jacket and ear piece add 10kgs to any under nourished frame.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    There is a half page ad in today's Herald Sun addressing this very topic.

A few years back Cam Rose made mention that we had one of the lowest 'churn' rates in the competition meaning our members sign up year after year... I wonder what has happened in these following years because these figures do nothing to back up this claim.
    Last year was probably the softest of our past 3 prelims. The first round loss to Essendon would have been a huge blow to those on the fringe in renewing memberships. Then games against Brisbane and the Suns doesn't help followed by a bye then a trip to play Fremantle in the West. We lack the strong base of a Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn etc. plus the fact that many of our members would be doing it tough in the current financial climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Should have played both the Brisbane game and Suns game at Kardinia Park. Financially would have made sense.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The last three years we have made finals & played in everything week except the Grand Final, it's a lot of money dished out over three years for families.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post
    The last three years we have made finals & played in everything week except the Grand Final, it's a lot of money dished out over three years for families.
    A lot of cheap entertainment as well compared to other things to do on a Friday, SAturday or Sunday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Revolving door type membership figures are symptomatic of people on the fringe of affordability ie. small changes in their financial situation mean that they can barely afford it from one year to the next, so are more likely to drop off, then sign up, then drop off, rather than it being purely forget-about-it discretionary income.

It's like how entry level luxury cars are the most traded (and badly maintained) items on the second hand market (on average) as people who buy them tend to be on the edge of affordability as well (ie. aspirationals who can barely pay for it; wealthier people generally don't buy entry level luxury cars), so tiny changes in their financial situation means that they cut down on servicing and/or have to sell it off.

In the end, pricing is clearly an issue -- if we are held hostage to a centralised AFL pricing scheme, I would be dumbfounded. Can you imagine the Premier League telling Manchester United or Chelsea what ticket prices to charge, or MLB forcing the Red Sox to sell their tickets for the same price as the Yankees? Or this happening in the NBA, or La Liga?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    A lot of people have been hit hard financially, housing prices / rent.
    Yes, I appreciate that fact and the reality is that if I couldn't pay my membership on a monthly basis, I would maybe have to reconsider. I think the club has done a great deal to try and assist people pay for their membership, but when times are financially tough, a footy club membership is probably considered a "luxury".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Should have played both the Brisbane game and Suns game at Kardinia Park. Financially would have made sense.
    That is never going to happen.