Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Campbell Brown - How many weeks should he get?

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Not sure how many weeks but the first hit on ward lifted their spirits and possibly stopped the game from being a real massacre.
    I disagree, I thought thegoal they scored from the free and 50 after spurred them on a bit more.

As for Brown, he should get 5 for the Ward hit and at least 1 for the head high bump as he has form in these areas. But considering the umpiring yesterday and the fact that one of our players getting knocked out behind play while Higgins lined up for a set shot somehow translated to a Gary Ablett free kick (seriously, how did this happen? I watched the replay and still can't figure it out) Brown'll get a week for everything.

Post Thanks / Like

This bloke has a prior history but as you all point out, GC is the AFL's project this year, so maybe he will only get off with 3 weeks! Should be more like 6 though. He is an absolute sniper - did you see him on Game Day today? Said he has always played like this, and GC knew that when they recruited him and he wasn't about to change his style of play. Interestingly, Brad Sewell was on the panel, and was asked if Brown does this to a Hawthorn player this year, how would you react. He thought there would be remonstration from other players and if I remember correctly, said it was a part of Brown's game that he didn't really approve of!

Post Thanks / Like

I only just saw the replay of the incident, 4 weeks IMO if not more.

Then there is the one on Hall. If it was someone like Monfries he'd get another 4 weeks but Hall just took it and kicked the goal. 1 week but wouldn't be surprised he gets off that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Only by missing Barry's head ( copped him on the shoulder ) means they will probably only dish out a week. I sincerely hope he gets 2
    The original contact is to Barry's head then it glances off onto Barry's shoulder. This is also reflected in Barry's reaction where his hand goes to his head. I also believe he should get weeks for the hit on Grant (though he probably won't), he runs past the ball to take out a player not involved in the actual play. He also collects him high, but doesn't cause any serious damage.

Should get at least 5 all up, but will probably end up with 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Brown is one of those neanderthals still running around from a bygone era where they loosely and falsely get labelled courageous. Brown is not courageous, Crossy is courageous, Lenny is courageous, Ball is courageous. This sniper Brown's actions might well change the course of a game but doesn't make his acts any less illegal and fortunately not in the spirit of how the game has progressed to. Damage from these past neanderthals is now limited to the airwaves, unfortunately and to my shagrin, Darcy too often sounds like one of them.

Having sat yesterday in front of his latest act of courage:

Brown V Victim 1 (Ward)

Conduct: Intentional
    Impact: Medium

7 Activation points
    Level 4 Striking Charge

325 points plus 65 point loading for previous cowardly act
    Total 390 points

3 Weeks

Now the interesting one.

Brown V Victim 2 (Hall)

Impact: Low

6 Activation points
    Level 3 "Bumping or making forceful contact to an opponent from front on whilst that player has his head down over ball" charge
    400 points plus his 20% loading, 80 points.
    Total 480 points

4 Weeks

Total: 7 weeks but dependant on whether he takes an early plea but with a bunch of new carry over points to go with his war chest.
    Last edited by Doc26; 10-04-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Doc26 no offence but its more a lucky dip than anything. Could be nothing to 10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Brown is one of those neanderthals still running around from a bygone era where they loosely and falsely get labelled courageous. Brown is not courageous, Crossy is courageous, Lenny is courageous, Ball is courageous. This sniper Brown's actions might well change the course of a game but doesn't make his acts any less illegal and fortunately not in the spirit of how the game has progressed to. Damage from these past neanderthals is now limited to the airwaves, unfortunately and to my shagrin, Darcy too often sounds like one of them.

Having sat yesterday in front of his latest act of courage:

Brown V Victim 1 (Ward)

Impact: Medium

7 Activation points
    Level 4 Striking Charge

325 points plus 65 point loading for previous cowardly act
    Total 390 points

3 Weeks

Now the interesting one.

Brown V Victim 2 (Hall)

Impact: Low

6 Activation points
    Level 3 "Bumping or making forceful contact to an opponent from front on whilst that player has his head down over ball" charge
    400 points plus his 20% loading, 80 points.
    Total 480 points

4 Weeks

Total: 7 weeks but dependant on whether he takes an early plea but with a bunch of new carry over points to go with his war chest.
    No way known will they classify the Hall one as intentional...put your money on reckless.

Post Thanks / Like

I will put my cash on 4 weeks, the AFL will encourage leniency for the coasters.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone got a link to footage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    No way known will they classify the Hall one as intentional...put your money on reckless.
    I'm a realist and understand that other factors will come into play other than applying the object nature of the AFL's demerit system.

The offence that I believe best fits Brown V Hall's is the charge of "Bumping or making forceful contact to an opponent from front on whilst that player has his head down over ball".

Aside from what the MRP come up with in their version of chook lotto, do you believe Brown 'intended' this act OR as you suggest just 'recklessly' put himself in the position to put it on Hall ? For mine he intentionally bumped and made forceful contact to Hall from front on whilst Hall's head was down over the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    anyone got a link to footage?
    AFL website has a video in their Latest Videos section "Brown moments of madness"
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I just watch the Ward and Hall incident in slow mo and with Ward he clearly has picked Ward off. Brown glanced over the shoulder and lined him up, so with that one I would go with intent.

With Barry he had everything tucked in and was going in with the old fashion hip and shoulder but he had lined him up and I don't think he thought one way or the other were Barry's head was. A free kick and that was all it needed but only if it was 10 years ago, now days he should know better and was very reckless.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Both were low impact. Ward one was intentional, Hall one was reckless.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    How do they assess impact? I'd have said medium at least.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Ward has the hardest head at our club and was knocked flat. That one wasn't low impact.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.