Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The First 3 weeks - where do we need to improve to be a real contender?

The areas that stick out at this stage are the rucks, ie hitouts to advantage and the clearances, as well as forward pressure and tackling.

Players that need to improve or be more consistent are Cooney and Grant and the leaders need to stand up when it counts.

The next few weeks are going to be tough and we will know where we are at.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The First 3 weeks - where do we need to improve to be a real contender?

Skills/execution/decision making were horrible yesterday and pretty bad the rest of the year. We also lacked players willing to take responsibility especially in front of goal.

Post Thanks / Like

I seriously think our centre square has the talent but our ruck doesnt find them enough,Hudson tends to knock it straight to ground and jump on it , thus his second efforts come up big.

I would like to see more power in his tap or knockout work, more Minson like where he hits it harder and wider out than just falling into the centre circle.
    So many time I see us win the tap only for it to be stacks on at the rucks feet, making it just luck of the draw who gets it out.

Griffen and Cooney are great at running through but its no good if they are running into 4 tacklers because its too congested.
    Take the gamble we have excellent outside mids, lets hit it out wider and give them more space.

Post Thanks / Like

Ball delivery into the FWD line. Very ordinary.
    It only seemed to improve a little when the (last two) games have been beyone doubt.
    It's a shame too cause Barry seems to be in great form as far as making good body position or leads.

Post Thanks / Like

Higgins is the worst standing start shot at goal I have seen in ages.
    We hear all the time teams saying they dont have enough time to practice goal kicking, well bugger me I would think kicking straight would be one of the most important part of winning games.

I noticed at training the other day we were practising it, maybe clubs are starting to realize, figures mentioned this year on tv have alluded to the fact how bad shots at goal are missing throughout the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Tackle pressure.
    Skill execution (including goalkicking. A fundamental of the game, and players don't have time to practise it?)
    Hitting targets.
    Forward entries need to be better.

More beards.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Ball delivery into the FWD line. Very ordinary.
    It only seemed to improve a little when the (last two) games have been beyone doubt.
    It's a shame too cause Barry seems to be in great form as far as making good body position or leads.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Forward entries need to be better.
    Is it just the delivery or do we have no structure up forward?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Is it just the delivery or do we have no structure up forward?
    Nah it was delivery. I was at both the Brisbane and GC games and our forwards were getting good separation on the lead and our mids (with the exception of Libba) would constantly kick over on on top of their heads.

Post Thanks / Like

We are a real contender.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love for Minson to be given a chance as our number 1 ruck. Easily our best hit out to advantage ruck man.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

- 4 quarter effort
    - Lift in defensive pressure
    - More direct ball movement
    - Players taking the responsibility of shooting for goal
    - All players adhering to the defensive set up at all times.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    - 4 quarter effort
    - Lift in defensive pressure
    - More direct ball movement
    - Players taking the responsibility of shooting for goal
    - All players adhering to the defensive set up at all times.
    I think Grant's role has to be clearer.. Is he a crumber or a hit-up forward, or both..? One thing is for sure, he isn't a great one-on-one mark when the defender can apply body contact. He was continually pushed under the ball by either Hunt or an eighteen year old yesterday (was it Coad?) I really like his attack once the ball hits the ground and applies great pressure / tackling but we kicked it on his head continually. Maybe he should be looking to get to feet of Hall, Roughead or even Higgins more rather than going for the power mark...

I appreciate he is still learning the caper and is improving each game but I just wonder who is instructing him to play as a power forward.. I get the feeling unfortunately that many of the turnovers we commit are when we kick to him in contested positions?

Post Thanks / Like

* We have the talent and depth to be there at the end
    * We have the will and maturity as a Club.
    * We have some exciting developing players - Libba, Roughead, Grant, Ward, Hill, (Wallis?)
    * We have the skills but at times our by foot exceution is average even casual.
    * We need to work on centre breaks. Minson and Roughead may be our combination as the year progresses. Cooney will improve with more fitness.
    * Back set up with Brian yesterday looked great. Tommy really developing both defensively and attacking (How was that 70m pass to Grant), Murphy is in great form, Morris also looking good, we look strong.
    * Forward structure is also good but may lack a sharp, goal kicking, strong tackling crumber. This may be a resting midfielder - Griffen, Cooney, Sherman.
    * Yet to be seen if we can conquer a strong midfield (Collingwood) which drives a lot of forward entries and set up the forward press. Breaking through a strong structured Forward Press is our greatest challenge.
    * Need to make tackles stick and bring the ball to a 50/50 in our forward half. Eliminate easy opposition defensive possessions.
    * We wont be May premiers (Yippee)
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the banker View Post
    * Forward structure is also good but may lack a sharp, goal kicking, strong tackling crumber. This may be a resting midfielder - Griffen, Cooney, Sherman.
    I don't think it will be ONE resting mid, but a combination of the guys you have mentioned might get it done. Dalhaus played very well for Williamstown yesterday (vs Swans) and certainly looks a future candidate for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by the banker View Post
    * Yet to be seen if we can conquer a strong midfield (Collingwood) which drives a lot of forward entries and set up the forward press. Breaking through a strong structured Forward Press is our greatest challenge.
    It actually isn't the press that worries me. It is our ability to mentally cope with the fact that Collingwood play a 'territorial' game and will no-doubt hold the ball inside their forward half for 60%+ of the game. Dealing with the restricted scoring chances - and maintaining a structure + energy that will allow us to score when the opportunity presents - is a huge challenge. Our mids, defenders and forwards will need to cope with the footy being inside our defensive 50m area for 5minutes at a time and then rather than sighing with relief when we cross the centre, actually break forward with the intent to score.

This is way harder than you think.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think it will be ONE resting mid, but a combination of the guys you have mentioned might get it done. Dalhaus played very well for Williamstown yesterday (vs Swans) and certainly looks a future candidate for that role.
    I watched the game on Foxtel MJP and agree with you that Dalhaus played very well yesterday and has a real appetite for the contest. He should play seniors at some time in the next twelve months and would be a good candidate for the role of crumbing forward who can apply defensive pressure.