Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The First 3 weeks - where do we need to improve to be a real contender?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Coad is a mature aged recruit from SA - he is about 27yo.

Grant is a really interesting player to watch in action. He involves himself in many scoring thrusts for the team (he was credited with another bunch of score involvements on Saturday, which would have been more if a couple of them weren't sprayed OOF) but is almost too unselfish in his desire to bring his teammates into the play. You see his raw stats and think he has been just OK, but his mindset is almost completely team-oriented. I love watching his subtle taps to advantage, his body positioning in a contest to make sure the ball drop to our numerical advantage, and the like. Whilst I'd love to see him impact the scoreboard a little more I don't want to see him lose this team-first mindset. Having said that, if he does mark it inside 30 he should take responsibility to kick the goal.
    The boy has strut. See him go back to take a kick? I like this.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog;208064[B
    ]The boy has strut. See him go back to take a kick[/B]? I like this.

I'd like him to translate that to the scoreboard.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    [/B]
    I'd like him to translate that to the scoreboard.
    I'd like to paint him blue
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Higgins was a deadeye 2 years ago. The only player at the time that I would want kicking for goal if it was to decide a game.
    Exactly what I was thinking and wondering why it had not been mentioned.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

The way we are playing we might scrape through Freo in a fortnight, have a bit of hype going into the Pies game. Then more likely then not, get spanked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danstar View Post
    The way we are playing we might scrape through Freo in a fortnight, have a bit of hype going into the Pies game. Then more likely then not, get spanked.
    Yes, maybe. Rocket decided to go into this year with less miles in the legs and then build the season to a September peak. It was always going to be a slow start on that basis ad I don't think we'll know if we are a contender until round 12 or 13 when the Lake's/Cooney's etc get their match fitness happening. I'm not sure I agree with the strategy but I'll be patient at least knowing that Rocket has a plan. I agree the pies will probably get us on that basis but if we can turn the tables in September then it's been worth the pain yeah?

None of the above, however, justifies the crappy kicking into the forward line that's been endemic over the last couple of weeks. We need a bucketload of kicking drills before we try to smack up the purple people in WA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    Yes, maybe. Rocket decided to go into this year with less miles in the legs and then build the season to a September peak. It was always going to be a slow start on that basis ad I don't think we'll know if we are a contender until round 12 or 13 when the Lake's/Cooney's etc get their match fitness happening. I'm not sure I agree with the strategy but I'll be patient at least knowing that Rocket has a plan. I agree the pies will probably get us on that basis but if we can turn the tables in September then it's been worth the pain yeah?

None of the above, however, justifies the crappy kicking into the forward line that's been endemic over the last couple of weeks. We need a bucketload of kicking drills before we try to smack up the purple people in WA.
    The key is keeping morale up after getting a slow start. But this group have great pride.
    Listened on the radio to Nathan Eagleton, how Barry often contributes in the huddle. Between Boyd, Gia, Barry, we have some great leaders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post

The key is keeping morale up after getting a slow start v Essendon. But this group have great pride.
    Listened on the radio to Nathan Eagleton, how Barry often contributes in the huddle. Between Boyd, Gia, Barry, we have some great leaders.

Post Thanks / Like

With the disclaimer that I've watched only 4 quarters collectively this year, I think we only have to improve one thing to be right in the mix -- our hands. Lots of fumbling at ground level, dropping easy marks, sloppy pick-ups, hurried no-look handballs etc. allowing the oppositing time to close us down and rush our disposal or cherry pick the ball from our otherwise good work. Libba looks tidy, and Murph is always pretty clean, but everyone else seems just 5% off.

Fix this, and our skill level, hardness at the ball, speed and spread of talent will generally see us very competitive against anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    With the disclaimer that I've watched only 4 quarters collectively this year, I think we only have to improve one thing to be right in the mix -- our hands. Lots of fumbling at ground level, dropping easy marks, sloppy pick-ups, hurried no-look handballs etc. allowing the oppositing time to close us down and rush our disposal or cherry pick the ball from our otherwise good work. Libba looks tidy, and Murph is always pretty clean, but everyone else seems just 5% off.

Fix this, and our skill level, hardness at the ball, speed and spread of talent will generally see us very competitive against anyone.
    That is spot on Lantern. I know we have talked clearances and their importance to scoring etc but for me watching the team play it is this exact issue that is hurting us. It stops our run and slowly deflates the confidence as well as deflating the crowd support. Not sure why this is an issue. maybe too much focus on structure and tactics and not enough on the basics at training. Many players seem to be thinking ahead about what they will do with the ball rather than making sure they mark it etc.

The bad part is that it will only get worse against the high pressure teams.