Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dog stars may gain fitness in VFL during bye

Jake Niall - The Age - 13 April

Brian Lake may have another run for Williamstown.

WESTERN Bulldogs, mindful of the 16-day break between games due to their first bye, will today decide whether to seek permission for Brian Lake and Lindsay Gilbee to play for Williamstown this week.

The Dogs' 16-day break between games is the longest any club will experience this season - clubs have played three games in that time in recent years - and the club is adjusting its training program to deal with the long bye, during which it will have match practice next week to compensate for the unusually lengthy period without a game.

Western Bulldogs football operations manager James Fantasia and fitness chief Bill Davoren confirmed last night that the club would decide within 24 hours whether it would ask permission for Lake and Gilbee to line up in the VFL against Box Hill on Sunday.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dog stars may gain fitness in VFL during bye

Sounds like a good idea but I always worry when top line players play in the reserves just to get fit in case they get injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Sounds like a good idea but I always worry when top line players play in the reserves just to get fit in case they get injured.
    I don't have the facts to back this up, but wouldn't players be less likely to suffer injuries in a lesser comp where the pace isn't as quick?

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love our fixture. 16 day break, then a 6 day break traveling from Perth and then a 6 day break for a game interstate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Gotta love our fixture. 16 day break, then a 6 day break traveling from Perth and then a 6 day break for a game interstate.
    I am sure Collingwood would have a similar draw

I mentioned in another thread how interesting it is that a possible contender plays Collingwood after a 6 day break and travel from Perth, it just seems convenient. I am sure there a many people reviewing the draw before it comes out, why wouldnt they move the dogs fremantle game to Saturday instead of Easter Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I don't have the facts to back this up, but wouldn't players be less likely to suffer injuries in a lesser comp where the pace isn't as quick?
    Personally, also without stats - I wouldn't have thought it makes a difference. In theory - in a lesser comp - whilst you may have less pace in the game - you are also more likely to cop a bad handball or kick that puts you in a bad position - or be playing on a ground with more wind exposure which sees blokes misjudge marks etc to bring on more collisions.

Footy is footy - injuries are a risk at any grade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    I am sure Collingwood would have a similar draw

I mentioned in another thread how interesting it is that a possible contender plays Collingwood after a 6 day break and travel from Perth, it just seems convenient. I am sure there a many people reviewing the draw before it comes out, why wouldnt they move the dogs fremantle game to Saturday instead of Easter Monday.
    I think the Monday is actually Anzac day and Fremantle have for the last year or so played games in perth on Anzac day at night.