Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any surprises here from Andrejs Everitt?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    What should have Eade and Co done differently?
    I was too definitive in my 2nd post about Eade. I am not sure Eade could have done anything else, I am just not so quick to base 100% of the blame on Dre that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I was too definitive in my 2nd post about Eade. I am not sure Eade could have done anything else, I am just not so quick to base 100% of the blame on Dre that's all.
    Fair enough. It must have also been frustrating from Eade's point of view as well. Problem was Everitt showed glimpses in 2007 as a loose 3rd man up and perhaps a glimpse in a few games here and there but for a while he was last in, first out rightly or wrongly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    What should have Eade and Co done differently?
    Playing him with some regularity might've been a start. We've been happy to bleed Tom Williams in with regular game time under the guise of being a 'project' player. I remain unconvinced we afforded the same luxury to Andrejs.

Dre never struck me as a type with an abundance of self confidence. By not showing more faith in him when he has shown he does at least have the skills to have made a good go of it, even if not displaying the right attitude, we can only now wonder what could've been. Maybe we will get to see this under Longmire's regime.

Post Thanks / Like

He has played 1 good quarter in 12

Think we should look at him after 10 or so rounds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Playing him with some regularity might've been a start. We've been happy to bleed Tom Williams in with regular game time under the guise of being a 'project' player. I remain unconvinced we afforded the same luxury to Andrejs.

Dre never struck me as a type with an abundance of self confidence. By not showing more faith in him when he has shown he does at least have the skills to have made a good go of it, even if not displaying the right attitude, we can only now wonder what could've been. Maybe we will get to see this under Longmire's regime.
    Could the difference between the two players you have mentioned be that Tom had a defined role and position (in which we lacked players) i.e., that of a key position backman, whereas Everitt did not? Furthermore by all reports Tom is one of the best trainers on our team and has a very good attitude whereas I've never heard this of Dre.

Could this mixture of uncertain role and questionable attitude along with not taking his chances when they were given have forced Rocket to trade Dre?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by way out west View Post
    He has played 1 good quarter in 12

Think we should look at him after 10 or so rounds
    No one on this thread at least is saying he's made it. He still has a long way to go to stamp himself as someone who can reach and stay at the required standard. If he is to be played forward with regularity then the heat will be on Dre when he starts being marked by your Maxwell's, O'Brien's and Co.. How he stands up to this when no longer being some surprise second half switch will be the mark on him ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    Could this mixture of uncertain role and questionable attitude along with not taking his chances when they were given have forced Rocket to trade Dre?
    I always saw Dre's positional flexibility, particularly with the changing face of the game, as an asset.

Think the questionable attitude was his death knell and in the end it needed to be, it's just a shame it had to get to that point, that he couldn't have been coached out of it.

There's a pile of skillful players on the heap that haven't cut it due to sub standard attitude.

And if i might take the liberty of taking a memorable quote from Cool Hand Luke.
    "What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I agree that he has massive intensity issues but any potential blame to Eade for not changing that? We don't question the fact that Dre has intensity issues, no doubt in my mind but I also question Eade for Dre's failure at our club.

The golf swing practice reaction is a bit much IMO. If it was Cooney it would have been seen as somewhat charming.
    FYI, the club tried everything but its in his nature and he won't change.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    FYI, the club tried everything but its in his nature and he won't change.
    Thanks for the info mate. I am not doubting your info at all, just 'we tried everything' line can be very relative. I work as a teacher, not saying it's too much like coaching but that line really does remind me of teachers who say 'I have tried everything, he is just a rotten kid'.

Is it tried everything or tried everything you know player management style?

Really want to stress the point that I am not necessarily putting any blame on Rocket, just find the ''it's totally Dre's fault'' no questions asked belief a tad dismissive. If he fails at Swans, Eade will be proven without a doubt but if he becomes a gun, I will find the 'change in environment' a bit of a convenient out.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone else has said, in the end, he is gone. If he makes it, well and good for him, but he didn't show me enough to feel particularly sad about his trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    As someone else has said, in the end, he is gone. If he makes it, well and good for him, but he didn't show me enough to feel particularly sad about his trade.
    I think that's the best approach to take.

I'm being a devil's advocate at sorts. At worst, I think our share of the blame is minimal anyway. No doubt that Dre's intensity just wasn't up to it and outside of that quarter, he has had the same deer in headlights/aloof look for them that he had for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    Hear hear.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Lazy on the training track and lazy on game day. Yes he has talent but no intensity and very laid back
    He was a laconic type when we drafted him so what changed?
    We had teams interested in trading for him 12 months earlier but thought we could turn it around so it looks like mistakes were made by both the club and the player.

I wonder how is golf swing practise is going
    It's strange because if you practice a few air gold swings you are quickly branded as lazy.
    Surf an esky lid down the street and you are still right in the mix to be the captain of the club.

Players like Everitt frustrate me but I do believe he has the talent to become a good footballer.
    If the Swans take him to another level then our development programme might have missed a good opportunity.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

It's strange because if you practice a few air gold swings you are quickly branded as lazy.
    Surf an esky lid down the street and you are still right in the mix to be the captain of the club.
    One was done in the last training night before the finals by a player hoping to be the last player selected.

The other happened on holidays. Big difference.

If Everitt would do what was asked of him he would still be there; he wouldn't or couldn't.

I hope he plays 200 games for the Swans, it will mean that they're crap for the next 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather focus on what we've got. A ready made top round pick small forward with skill. Goodbye to Dre i say.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023