Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Docklands turf ruined me: Southern

Sam Lane - The Age - 14 April

FORMER Western Bulldog Daniel Southern has revealed he was warned off making a compensation claim that shaped as highly damaging for the AFL, but he remains convinced a poor playing surface ended his career.

Visiting Melbourne to be guest speaker at an AFL Players Association breakfast today after seven years living in Egypt, Southern told The Age how playing five consecutive matches in 2000 at the then Colonial Stadium ruined him physically.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Docklands turf ruined me: Southern

Loved Danny Southern. When I was a kid I used to see him every now and again on my father's building sites, when he was working as a house painter. Bloody nice guy…

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that Colonial Stadium ended Southerns career, Southern's physical degeneration from playing AFL football ended his career.

At the time everyone was complaining that the ground was hard and that players pulled up sore the week after yet were able to continue playing.

Didn't Danny also sue the club for Superannuation payment on top of his contract at the end of his career, even though he was a contractor responsible for his own tax and superannuation?.

Post Thanks / Like

Your a legend Southo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyStyle View Post
    I don't believe that Colonial Stadium ended Southerns career, Southern's physical degeneration from playing AFL football ended his career.

At the time everyone was complaining that the ground was hard and that players pulled up sore the week after yet were able to continue playing.

Didn't Danny also sue the club for Superannuation payment on top of his contract at the end of his career, even though he was a contractor responsible for his own tax and superannuation?.
    How many players have complained about the same issue during that era, ie that the surface ruined their career. If it was an issue then why ahven't others players had the same problems?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How many players have complained about the same issue during that era, ie that the surface ruined their career. If it was an issue then why ahven't others players had the same problems?
    It's always been said it was hard. They used to aerate the surface to try and soften it.

It sounds like the surface was the straw that broke the camel's back though. He had his 10th knee op, but the 9 before weren't due to the surface.

The Lions used to always say that the hard Gabba surface would shorten their players' careers/predispose them to OP etc. Not sure if that ever actually eventuated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    It's always been said it was hard. They used to aerate the surface to try and soften it.

It sounds like the surface was the straw that broke the camel's back though. He had his 10th knee op, but the 9 before weren't due to the surface.

The Lions used to always say that the hard Gabba surface would shorten their players' careers/predispose them to OP etc. Not sure if that ever actually eventuated.
    Luke Power yesterday said the ground staff inject gel into the surface when they aerate it.
    The curse is dead.