Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs recruiter looking to the future

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I agree it's a pointless argument! Let's re-enter this debate in 12 months.
    It's not like a young bloke is set in stone either. It really depends a great deal on their ability to work at it mentally, on the quality of their training and the people around them. Take Dale or Boyd for example.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    What I don't understand about the 'filling needs' hypothesis in this case is that he's only meant to come on in 2013. Surely filling a need on the list is a short-term play, or even maybe a one, two year thing? Five years just seems like such a ridiculous lag -- our entire half-back line may be retired before he even starts to get a game. Look, this may well come off and the recruiters look like geniuses, it's just weird when you pick a medium/small and expect a 5 year development period before you can tell if he's any good -- you would generally expect a quicker return on a small/medium type than half a bloody decade. Heck, that's longer than most AFL players' careers -- it just sounds too much like an excuse.
    Team balance is about filling current holes, but also about future holes.

They would have been looking 2-4 years ahead and thinking of boyd, cross, gilbee being on the way out and libba, wallis and howard on the way in. Whats wrong with that? Most young players take 2-4 years to establish themselves, if they are going to at all. Any sooner than that and the player wither unusually talented/physically developed or the team is unusually crap.

Howard has had 2 seasons so far hasnt he?
    Last edited by stefoid; 16-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember back in the day when blokes like Dipper and Tuck played 100 games in the reserves before their debut. We would be freaking out if they did that now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Remember back in the day when blokes like Dipper and Tuck played 100 games in the reserves before their debut. We would be freaking out if they did that now!
    If they were first round picks we would. Rookie listers? Not so much (though I agree, it would be closer to 50 games than 100 that they would get to show improvement/make an impact).

Even 'back in the day' talented young players debuted and made an impact before their 20th birthdays...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If they were first round picks we would. Rookie listers? Not so much (though I agree, it would be closer to 50 games than 100 that they would get to show improvement/make an impact).

Even 'back in the day' talented young players debuted and made an impact before their 20th birthdays...
    Some were only 15 or 16 (Grant,Watson) so now I suppose due to the TAC being a more proffessional competition than a metro league, I would expect them to be ready to play at about 20, at the latest.
    I wonder if we looked back ,say 20-30 years, is the first game players age still rating around the same age nowadays?

Post Thanks / Like

err, whoops:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...3/default.aspx

Thats not a thumbs up for the recruitment of Howard. (at this early stage)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    err, whoops:

Are they really linked? He was always going to be a longer term project.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    err, whoops:

Going a bit early eh stefoid.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

These draft debates are always interesting. It's easy to take a pot at the recruiters if a kid hasn't debuted after a couple of seasons. It's also easy to say "give the kid time". I guess the reality is that you never know until you know.

It's definitely not great having a first round pick not come on immediately, but we had quite a few not come on at all during the Clayton era, so while it was Dalrymple's first draft he's not necessarily done any worse than might have happened anyway.

This last draft seems to have gone very well (F&S helped but the other kids seem to be doing well) so our depth of young players looks OK.