Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does war and footy mix? ANZAC day footy

On one hand, a respectful commemoration of our veterans, their sacrifices and an important opportunity to raise money for important causes, chance for families and veterans to come together.
    Historical, hugely popular event and one day where Australians actually are prepared to be humble and respectful to what the older generation had to experience.

On the other, a bit crass, commercial, celebrates a day where we invaded another country, a military disaster, nationalistic jingoism, does not commemorate real 'war', (where is the Turkish perspective? Vietnamese perspective? etc etc.)

What's your view? Interested to know if any ex-serviceman or women here, or relatives of have a view.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does war and footy mix? ANZAC day footy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    On one hand, a celebration of our veterans, their sacrifices and an important opportunity to raise money for important causes, chance for families and veterans to come together.
    Historical, hugely popular event and one day where Australians actually are prepared to be humble and respectful to what the older generation had to experience.

On the other, a bit crass, commercial, celebrates a day where we invaded another country, a military disaster, nationalistic jingoism, does not commemorate real 'war', (where is the Turkish perspective? Vietnamese perspective? etc etc.)

What's your view?
    It's just a game of footy to me. Comparing it to war is ludicrous IMO. The bolded bit is a good description for mine...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    On one hand, a celebration of our veterans, their sacrifices and an important opportunity to raise money for important causes, chance for families and veterans to come together.

What's your view? Interested to know if any ex-serviceman or women here, or relatives of have a view.
    As for the first bit, isn't that what the day itself is for? Do we really need a game of footy to illustrate the point of the day?
    I just think it is about the AFL's ability to worm its way into an occasion to make itself seem like some righteous and pious entity whenever it can. The problem is that Anzac Day isn't at it's core a nationalistic, jingoistic day, it's about the real experiences of war veteran's and respect for those who fought and those who died. But jeez the AFL and the wider media can turn it into a jingoistic show of patriotism like nobody's business.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    As for the first bit, isn't that what the day itself is for? Do we really need a game of footy to illustrate the point of the day?
    I just think it is about the AFL's ability to worm its way into an occasion to make itself seem like some righteous and pious entity whenever it can. The problem is that Anzac Day isn't at it's core a nationalistic, jingoistic day, it's about the real experiences of war veteran's and respect for those who fought and those who died. But jeez the AFL and the wider media can turn it into a jingoistic show of patriotism like nobody's business.
    Some good points. To see the Anzac badge appear on advertising, TV commercials and other parephanalia to promote a sporting match does not sit well with me personally.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly off topic, but a huge sledge to whoever scheduled our game to be on at 6.45 tonight. If I wasn't such a diehard , I'd have lost interest by now. I was initially happy to have an ANZAC day game, but that late, it's hardly worth it.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the idea of motivating footballers with imagery of war...the day isn't about that.

In terms of bringing community recognition to the vets (and those currently serving) I do think it is worthwhile and as such don't have an issue with the use of ANZAC badge to promote the game. This from someone who cringes at southern cross tattoos and the nationalistic push of the last decade or so...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't like the idea of motivating footballers with imagery of war...the day isn't about that.

In terms of bringing community recognition to the vets (and those currently serving) I do think it is worthwhile and as such don't have an issue with the use of ANZAC badge to promote the game. This from someone who cringes at southern cross tattoos and the nationalistic push of the last decade or so...
    The Howard years continue to haunt us.

There's a lot of very keen astonomer's out there judging by the number of Southern Cross' I see around. My brother had the hilarious idea to get a tattoo of the Saucepan, his favourite constellation.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

The big dipper?? ...well, at least it's original.

Notice the club had some SAS soldiers giving our players a rev up. Agree with MJP, not sure I like the idea of using war imagery to inspire players.
    Then again, Leigh Mathews did use 'Predator' ( if it bleeds, we can kill it ) ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    The Howard years continue to haunt us.

There's a lot of very keen astonomer's out there judging by the number of Southern Cross' I see around. My brother had the hilarious idea to get a tattoo of the Saucepan, his favourite constellation.
    They do. The current wave of over the top patriotism makes me very uncomfortable. I don't remember every single person at the big day out (for example) when i was younger running around with an australian flag tattoo, or the australian flag as a cape or bikini or whatever...the ugly phrase un- australian i also dont really remember being so prevalent before Howard. And dont even get me started on the issue of asylum seekers ...He has left an ugly legacy.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the recent nationalistic push is that it's a bogan concept driven by bogans.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be Australian. And I'll gladly discuss/debate the merits of our country over others.

But I'll never get (nor will I understand) a bumper sticker that says "we're full" or, "if you don't love it leave". To me, that couldn't be further from what being Australian is all about.

Back on topic though, I'm fine with footy and Anzac day. I don't like the war/football comparisons. They're not even remotely related. But if footy is used as a vessel to commemorate and honour our service people, I'm ok with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    They do. The current wave of over the top patriotism makes me very uncomfortable. I don't remember every single person at the big day out (for example) when i was younger running around with an australian flag tattoo, or the australian flag as a cape or bikini or whatever...the ugly phrase un- australian i also dont really remember being so prevalent before Howard. And dont even get me started on the issue of asylum seekers ...He has left an ugly legacy.
    Un Australian has to be one of the most over rated and over used phrases.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly the public back up the footy/Anzac footy by going to it.

Post Thanks / Like

To me the footy is just the footy, but with the diggers getting less and less I think it's good to let future generations know what ANZAC day is about. I just hope footy doesn't overtake the remembrance.

Less we forget.....
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I remember going to watch us play Collingwood on ANZAC day at Victoria park and being pissed off the reserves were scheduled for the same time at a different ground. All due to the 1pm or after kickoff. This was in the 80's and no one cared so much about ANZAC day.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with that word for word.