Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs look to SAS for Anzac inspiration

Craig O'Donoghue, The West Australian

The Western Bulldogs have enlisted an SAS soldier and the emotion of relatives with war experience in a bid to topple Fremantle in tonight's Anzac Day game at Patersons Stadium.

The Bulldogs have played only one game on Anzac Day in the past 20 years despite it falling on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday 10 times during that period. They lost that game, against Port Adelaide in 2004. In contrast, Fremantle have been Anzac Day regulars and have won six of their eight games on the big stage.

Bulldogs assistant coach Peter Dean said the players understood the significance of the day because injured defender Easton Wood's brother was serving overseas.

"The club has organised a gentleman to be around the club. The boys are very respectful. A number of them have got relatives who have been in wars. Easton Wood's brother is in the army," Dean said.

"It's the ultimate sacrifice. Everyone knows that. You go to war and you don't know what's going to happen. We go out here and we know that the worst thing that can happen is you get an injury, you might do a knee or get knocked out.

"To be out there on Anzac Day, the whole nation showing that respect and the players having the ability to play on that day, they love it. They liken themselves to soldiers in a way. You don't get killed, that's the ultimate sacrifice, but these guys go out and give their all."

The Bulldogs arrived in Perth on Saturday afternoon and trained at Patersons Stadium yesterday.

Key forward Barry Hall, midfielder Adam Cooney and full-back Brian Lake barely participated, but Dean said they always had light duties the day before a game.

The match will be notable for the debut of Mitch Wallis, son of former Bulldog captain Steve Wallis.

Best on ground in last year's Victorian under-18 grand final, Wallis will join Tom Liberatore as the second father-son debutant for the club in 2011.

Dean heaped praise on the youngsters and predicted they would become a dominant midfield duo.

"They're two ripper kids, two very professional kids and are probably going to have a good and long career," Dean said.
    "Him and Tommy in club football, representative and State football - I liken them to my era as a Greg Williams-Gerard Healy combination. Tommy's an inside who gets the ball, like a Greg Williams. He'll dish it out to Mitch, who can still get it himself, but they complement each other really well."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs look to SAS for Anzac inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Western Bulldogs have enlisted an SAS soldier and the emotion of relatives with war experience in a bid to topple Fremantle in tonight's Anzac Day game at Patersons Stadium.
    If they need to do that to get up for a game, our season is in strife already.

"It's the ultimate sacrifice. Everyone knows that. You go to war and you don't know what's going to happen. We go out here and we know that the worst thing that can happen is you get an injury, you might do a knee or get knocked out.
    The above is a contradiction of this ridiculous statement:

They liken themselves to soldiers in a way. You don't get killed, that's the ultimate sacrifice, but these guys go out and give their all."
    Not having a dig at you bornadog, just at the comparison made in this article - war and football.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I hate this time of year, the football media & the comparisons with war, just ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrewp6 View Post
    if they need to do that to get up for a game, our season is in strife already. [/Quote=andrewp6;209517]i

Ok Andrew, I'm usually on your side, but this time I'm not sure.

I'm not one who wants to hype war, while the whole thing (war) is ridiculous, and my grandfather's brother died as a result of his injuries in that conflict (ww1) and my grandfather kept the ambulances working through all the nine battles of the somme, which affected him long term; how much blood and gore can any person stand?.

But we are still left with the conundrum that idiots send us to war and then our poor/brave troops do amazing things. I want to celebrate their heroism and I want others to acknowledge all that and not forget the stupidity of those who think the bullet solves things.

It's not a moral confusion as long as we remember the absurdity of what they were sent to do and the beauty of what they did.

We must remember that on two occasions in WW1 at least 5,000 of our boys died on a single day after being sent on stupid engagements for which they were just cannon fodder, and their commanders knew that reality in advance.

We need also to remember that very soon after arriving in France our soldiers were recognised as crack troops and that they quickly got their act together and refused to do things they thought were stupid, until other forces predominated.

Given that 90+% of the game these days is fought above the ears it is not a totally silly thing to remember that spirit, while recognising that it makes us all small in comparison, and to ask if the qualities that made us recognized as different still survive, and if that spirit is something we can not only admire but also seek inspiration from.
    QUOTE=AndrewP6;209517]If they need to do that to get up for a game, our season is in strife already.

OK Andrew, I'm usually on your side, but I'm this time I'm not sure.

I'm not one who wants to hype war, while the whole thing (war) is ridiculous, and my grandfather's brother died as a result of his injuries in that conflict (WW1) and my grandfather kept the ambulances working through all the nine battles of the Somme, which affected him long term; how much blood and gore can any person stand?.

But we are still left with the conundrum that idiots send us to war and then our poor/brave troops do amazing things. I want to celebrate their heroism and I want others to acknowledge all that and not forget the stupidity of those who think the bullet solves things.

It's not a moral confusion as long as we remember the absurdity of what they were sent to do and the beauty of what they did.

We must remember that on two occasions in WW1 at least 5,000 of our boys died on a single day after being sent on stupid engagements for which they were just cannon fodder, and their commanders knew that reality in advance.

We need also to remember that very soon after arriving in France our soldiers were recognised as crack troops and that they quickly got their act together and refused to do things they thought were stupid, until other forces predominated.

Given that 90+% of the game these days is fought above the ears it is not a totally silly thing to remember that spirit, while recognising that it makes us all small in comparison, and to ask if the qualities that made us recognized as different still survive, and if that spirit is something we can not only admire but also seek inspiration from.[/QUOTE]
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    OK Andrew, I'm usually on your side, but I'm this time I'm not sure.
    That's fine. No disrespect intended to your relatives.

That's the part I'm stuck on. In days gone by, people were conscripted, but still people choose "the bullet".

Absurd I agree with, but I can't see any beauty whatsoever in the killing of others, whatever the cause.

Given that 90+% of the game these days is fought above the ears it is not a totally silly thing to remember that spirit, while recognising that it makes us all small in comparison, and to ask if the qualities that made us recognized as different still survive, and if that spirit is something we can not only admire but also seek inspiration from.
    I see your point, I just think professional sports people shouldn't have to rely on this sort of extrinsic motivation to get themselves in the right mindset to compete in their chosen sport. It should be within them, and if it isn't, that raises serious issues, IMO.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Not a Big Fan of Anzac Day Football, especially when it's supposedly likened to what our diggers did.
    I marched in the Melb Parade proudly behind the 2/24ths banner (Wangaratta's own) to honour my father and all his mates. After a great Luncheon at Pascoe Vale RSL all I copped was Pies & Bombers with no obvious realisation as to what the day stands for.
    I did watch our game because I am Reid, White & Blue, but I'd prefer in future years to let the Pie & Bomber muppets have it to themselves because unlike popular belief Anzac Day Footy is NOT the Ultimate Sacrifice