Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Niall Kicks Cooney out of bounds

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I was very happy when I saw this article because Cooney needed a public clip over the ears for his sub-standard performance on Monday. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Niall's article whatsoever - balanced and objective criticism that was well researched, unlike 99% of Bulldogs articles in the newspapers that aren't written by Mark Stevens.
    He's been escaping it a lot and I'm also happy to see something written about his poor form. Lets hope that he comes out against Collingwood and has a blinder and then strings some consistent football together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I disagree and think it is a good article.

And how very unlike Luke to defend a Bulldogs player.

When did Adam last impose himself on a big or important game?

Jake is normally pretty circumspect with his views and has every right to question our best and highest paid player when he feels that he isn't pulling his weight.
    Luke knows what's going on in the Kennel more than most. I guess that's why they asked him.

If Adam had slotted those he would have been the hero of the game. It was a difference of a few kicks on a dewy night where lots of players had butterfingers.
    Sure, he gets paid enough to slot those, but he didn't in that game. Thems the breaks and we all know he's more likely to slot them than not.
    If the MC didn't feel he couldn't impose himself on big games he wouldn't be in the team.

QUOTE=ratsmac;210433]Cooney was disappointing on Monday with his disposal only I thought. His efforts are certainly there. We expect a lot from Cooney and so we should therefore this criticism is warranted.
    [/QUOTE]

Jake Niall has started to branch into other non-sports related journalism I see. " Melbourne is better off with a bigger population" for example ( 23rd April )
    Wonder where he lives....
    I rate him right up there with Hutchy personally.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 28-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Cooney has been missing easy shots for way too long now, you can even tell from those photos on the article that he is leaning back too much when he is taking the kick.
    Yep, even as far back as the 2009 qualifying final, we had a small chance to run over Geelong in the last quarter but as usual couldn't convert straight forward chances on the big stage. Cooney missed a set shot from 25m out directly in front.

Post Thanks / Like

What I took from that article was Jake Niall analysing Cooney based on what other players had done or achieved, too busy trying to make the point he's no Chapman instead of looking at:
    • His preseason form — it IS only Round 5
    • Any injuries he might be carrying
    • The fact it was humid and slippery and everybody was butchering the ball on both sides

Luke Darcy tried to make those points to actually add some fact to the discussion and is decried as a “cheerleader”.

Here's what I think when I think of Cooney: We got absolutely smashed in the 2010 finals without him.

I hear the same crap about Gia on a constant basis, but watch what happens this week against Collingwood when Maxwell, O'Brien and the entire Collingwood defense rack up 160 SC points each.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    What I took from that article was Jake Niall analysing Cooney based on what other players had done or achieved, too busy trying to make the point he's no Chapman instead of looking at:
    • His preseason form — it IS only Round 5
    • Any injuries he might be carrying
    • The fact it was humid and slippery and everybody was butchering the ball on both sides

Luke Darcy tried to make those points to actually add some fact to the discussion and is decried as a “cheerleader”.

Here's what I think when I think of Cooney: We got absolutely smashed in the 2010 finals without him.

I hear the same crap about Gia on a constant basis, but watch what happens this week against Collingwood when Maxwell, O'Brien and the entire Collingwood defense rack up 160 SC points each.
    How do either of those situations differ from the last 2 years when both of those players played?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the article . Just wondering why people are so defensive, as it's clear Adam has to find another gear. He should have nailed that goal deep in the game.
    Making flimsy excuses doesn't cut it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I agree with the article . Just wondering why people are so defensive, as it's clear Adam has to find another gear. He should have nailed that goal deep in the game.
    Making flimsy excuses doesn't cut it.
    The reason people are defensive is because they have an emotional attachment to the team and take it personally when a player is criticised.

I personally think until Adam "wants" to be elite, he will be a very good player.
    It is no coincedence that Swan & Pendlebury became "A" graders last season. We need the same from Griffen, Cooney, Ward & Higgins to name just a few.
    They all have the ability to become elite, it would make us challenge the best teams.

Post Thanks / Like

his form is not terrible. I feel the article over does it

Great contest and Hand pass off to Sherman for a goal against two defenders ( Q3 13:20 )

Some good tackles... he was right in it in regards to intent.
    What's not excusable is the really poor decision making. It's a team sport coons!
    Not passing off to players in a better position with an open goal. And spraying it out of bounds. Trying to do too much perhaps.
    but...he got the ball and took a shot.

Who needs the lable 'elite' anyway? It's just a label and comparing players, who is better than who is all good. But it's a flag we want. I'm sure Adam doesn't give a stuff if people think he's as good or worse than Chapman, Judd etc etc. If he puts in his best effort that's good enough for anyone.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 28-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    The reason people are defensive is because they have an emotional attachment to the team and take it personally when a player is criticised.

I personally think until Adam "wants" to be elite, he will be a very good player.
    It is no coincedence that Swan & Pendlebury became "A" graders last season. We need the same from Griffen, Cooney, Ward & Higgins to name just a few.
    They all have the ability to become elite, it would make us challenge the best teams.
    He should be an elite player in the comp period.
    Very highly paid player stuff it if he "doesn't give a stuff" it's a business (so we're told) and it's the job of a highly paid employee to perform under pressure in any industry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

Great contest and Hand pass off to Sherman for a goal against two defenders ( Q3 13:20 )

What's not excusable is the really poor decision making. It's a team sport coons!
    Not passing off to players in a better position with an open goal. And spraying it out of bounds. Trying to do too much perhaps.

Who needs the lable 'elite' anyway? I'm sure Adam doesn't give a stuff if people think he's as good or worse than Chapman, Judd etc etc. If he puts in his best effort that's good enough for anyone.
    Its what could make the difference in winning a premiership, I need to label him elite as the best players perform when the heat is on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Yep, even as far back as the 2009 qualifying final, we had a small chance to run over Geelong in the last quarter but as usual couldn't convert straight forward chances on the big stage. Cooney missed a set shot from 25m out directly in front.
    He's also got that high ball drop when he kicks the ball.
    I'm sure that doesn't help his set shots and i'm certain it's a big part of his poor kicking when he is on the run at full speed.
    He kind of slams it on the foot from high up and he misses the timing or drops it poorly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

Yeah, I thought much of the same.
    As I posted somewhere else, I thought he worked and ran well on the weekend (or Monday), but what caused him to have a stinker was his disposal and goal kicking.

Post Thanks / Like

To compare Jake Niall with hutchinson is ridiculous! Niall 's articles are analytical, informative and about the tactics of the game.. I don't imagine him hopping on a plane to hound a recovering drug addict a la Hutchinson. Niall has a valid well reasoned opinion, he is not stooping to personal abuse or innuendo, he makes a clear case. Time will tell if Adam's misses were the product of an unfit guy, one who is too laconic, or one who regularly doesn't deliver on the big stage. I'm not sure myself, but its perfectly legitimate to ask the questions.

I thought the article was fair though it hurt to read it. Watching hawks/cats I thought exactly the same when I watched their leaders nail critical goals. I am really not sure which bulldog player has that sort of temperament...which sadly is part of our long stanfing problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    To compare Jake Niall with hutchinson is ridiculous! Niall 's articles are analytical, informative and about the tactics of the game.. I don't imagine him hopping on a plane to hound a recovering drug addict a la Hutchinson. Niall has a valid well reasoned opinion, he is not stooping to personal abuse or innuendo, he makes a clear case. Time will tell if Adam's misses were the product of an unfit guy, one who is too laconic, or one who regularly doesn't deliver on the big stage. I'm not sure myself, but its perfectly legitimate to ask the questions.

I thought the article was fair though it hurt to read it. Watching hawks/cats I thought exactly the same when I watched their leaders nail critical goals. I am really not sure which bulldog player has that sort of temperament...which sadly is part of our long stanfing problems.
    Questioning Boyds ticker? Bobs? Morris? Cross?

Sure it's not great he missed those shots. But the article unfairly insinuates that he alone is the player that could have 'iced' the game. We weren't good enough as a team.

Higgins, Grant, Barry. All of our fowards had fairly standard shots on goal that went begging.

did you get anything new out of the article? Missed goals are easy to spot but he did plenty of other gutsy things on the night and every hawk ( buddy, roughead ) or Cat ( Hawkins, Mooney ) has a dirty day.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't disagree with the general gist of the article (unfortunately)
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]