Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wounded Dogs forced to shuffle

Emma Quayle - The Age - 29 April

THE Western Bulldogs have called on Will Minson for the first time this year and will ask Liam Jones to provide the ''physical presence'' in their forward line after losing Barry Hall to an ankle injury and Shaun Higgins and Ben Hudson to general soreness ahead of their clash with Collingwood on Sunday.

The Bulldogs were unable to recall Daniel Giansiracusa and may lose defender Tom Williams, who was subbed out of Monday night's game against Fremantle at three-quarter-time after suffering back spasms.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wounded Dogs forced to shuffle

Well " The Rocket" ( poster )
    you got your wish. Liam Jones is our KF in a game V the Pies.
    Doesn't get much bigger than that. Going to cut his teeth on this one for sure!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well " The Rocket" ( poster )
    you got your wish. Liam Jones is our KF in a game V the Pies.
    Doesn't get much bigger than that. Going to cut his teeth on this one for sure!
    Maxwell and co will tear him a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Maxwell and co will tear him a new one.
    He cant be expected to dominate, Hall would struggle as a lone hand as well. It needs to be a team effort.

All the forwards need to attack the ball carrier and force him to handball to a teammate, and not be allowed to run free unattended, it requires a very defensive mindset.

In Jones & Addison we have 2 players that can apply that forward pressure. Sherman & Grant have pace to worry them. I would be tempted to play Lake forward as well.
    Play Roughy on Brown, Markovic on Dawes and Williams on Cloke. Nothing to lose....
    Last edited by Desipura; 29-04-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    He can be expected to dominate, Hall would struggle as a lone hand as well. It needs to be a team effort.

All the forwards need to attack the ball carrier and force him to handball to a teammate, and not be allowed to run free unattended, it requires a very defensive mindset.

In Jones & Addison we have 2 players that can apply that forward pressure. Sherman & Grant have pace to worry them. I would be tempted to play Lake forward as well.
    Play Roughy on Brown, Markovic on Dawes and Williams on Cloke. Nothing to lose....
    Yes there is — 4 points.

Post Thanks / Like

He can be expected to dominate, Hall would struggle as a lone hand as well. It needs to be a team effort.

Jones is pretty reactive in his pressure, and Addison is slow as treacle...I'm not sure we should be hanging our hats on these two as lifting the forward defensive game. Particularly when they aren't likely to get much of the ball themselves.

I am glad that Jones is playing - he will continue to benefit from being given games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Yes there is — 4 points.
    I will simplify it..........we are not expected to win and with a number of players out, our chances are slimmer, therefore we having nothing to lose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Jones is pretty reactive in his pressure, and Addison is slow as treacle...I'm not sure we should be hanging our hats on these two as lifting the forward defensive game. Particularly when they aren't likely to get much of the ball themselves.

I am glad that Jones is playing - he will continue to benefit from being given games.
    I do agree with your summation of Addison & Jones however I think their defensive game is stronger than Hall & Higgins and even though they do not get alot of the ball as you say.
    Against Collingwood especially, its important that their opponents dont get alot of it. I think these 2 are a better chance of ensuring that this does not happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with your summation of Addison & Jones however I think their defensive game is stronger than Hall & Higgins and even though they do not get alot of the ball as you say.
    Against Collingwood especially, its important that their opponents dont get alot of it. I think these 2 are a better chance of ensuring that this does not happen.
    Thats fair enough - they probably are better defensively than Hall and Higgins.
    There is obviously some give and take there - that Higgins and Hall have a bigger focus on getting the ball. Hopefully Addison can find it at least 14 or 15 times himself and get on the scoreboard if he is forward.

Nothing would make me happier than Jones taking a couple of nice grabs and kicking 3 or 4 - that could elevate his game for the rest of the season - but it will be very very hard for him on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

He cant be expected to dominate, Hall would struggle as a lone hand as well. It needs to be a team effort.

And we will need goals from the midfield and backmen. Back to double digit numbers on the goal scoring list.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones is pretty reactive in his pressure.
    I'm not sure I follow Ozza, are you saying he should chasing, and tackling even if we have the ball?

Isn't all pressure reactive?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I'm not sure I follow Ozza, are you saying he should chasing, and tackling even if we have the ball?

Isn't all pressure reactive?
    No, all pressure isn't reactive - an element of pressure (particularly in today's footy of 'forward press' etc) is your positioning when the opposition have the ball, and closing down potential targets.

Essendon were extremely good at this against us in round one. Collingwood are the yardstick.

The best pressure is when players look up - have no clear options and have to bomb the ball....thats what Collingwood (and now Essendon) thrive on.

Post Thanks / Like

No, all pressure isn't reactive - an element of pressure (particularly in today's footy of 'forward press' etc) is your positioning when the opposition have the ball, and closing down potential targets.
    It's also having the ability to predict where the ball is about to head and start moving in that direction.

Liam watches the play unfold and as you say reacts then.