Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs can cause AFL upset: Griffen

Sam Lienert

Midfield star Ryan Griffen is treating Sunday's AFL clash with Collingwood like a final, which is good news for the Western Bulldogs.

The 24-year-old has been an outstanding big-game player since starring in his first final - at age 20 - a commanding elimination final win over the Magpies in 2006.

Since then, the line-breaking, goal-scoring midfielder has been a regular amongst the Dogs' best in his 11 career playoff matches.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    That includes a heroic performance in a qualifying final loss to Collingwood last season, when despite being in doubt with a knee injury, Griffen shone with 34 touches and two goals.

As in that match, when the Bulldogs were missing stars Adam Cooney and Dale Morris, they will enter Sunday's MCG clash injury-depleted and as rank underdogs.

This time, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa, Ben Hudson and Shaun Higgins are unavailable.

But reigning club best and fairest Griffen said they were still confident of an upset.

He said they were buoyed by Monday night's performance against Fremantle in Perth, despite giving up a seven-point lead deep in the final quarter to lose by seven points.

"Even though we didn't end up getting the four points, I truly believe that we are taking massive steps forward," Griffen said.

"In that last quarter, they kicked the first three goals.

"To show courage and spirit to be able to fight back, get us in front and just to compete and really take on the game and get back to our running game, just the spirit the boys showed was the main thing."

Griffen said getting on top of Collingwood's deep and star-studded midfield would be the key.

The Bulldogs have improved their own depth of players capable of midfield stints since their last meeting, with the addition of first-year players Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis and ex-Brisbane recruit Justin Sherman.

Griffen said he took a lot personally out of his finals performance against the Magpies last year.

"I do put a lot of pressure on myself to perform," he said.

"I was very pleased with the way I attacked it and it did give me a fair bit of confidence.

"I get really excited when there's a big game and I do really want to perform in those games.

"To date I think I have performed and hopefully I can keep performing."

He classed Sunday's match firmly in the big-game category.

"I'll be going into that game just like I'd be going into any finals game," Griffen said.

"It would be a massive win for us.

"It's going to be tough, we know that, but if we stick to our structures and get that right, if we can get this win, it will give us a lot of confidence going into the next game and through the season."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs can cause AFL upset: Griffen

Just saw our odds for a win. Over $7! outsiders indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

tempted?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    tempted?
    I have had a go. $7 in a 2-horse race? Collingwood aren't that good and we aren't that bad!

Mind you, I haven't exactly risked the mortgage on it!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Their fullback being out as a late change will shorten the odds before the game

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry did not get back online, we all know Tarrant did not play

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Sorry did not get back online, we all know Tarrant did not play
    no problems, thx

I believe Griffen had a problem during the game with his calf or something in the first half. Had a great 3rd quarter to get us back into the game,
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what Griffen must think to himself when some of our leadership group stand up in meetings and make big speeches to the playing group about their expectations of them. Probably something along the lines of "too bad you don't walk the talk"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I have had a go. $7 in a 2-horse race? Collingwood aren't that good and we aren't that bad!

Mind you, I haven't exactly risked the mortgage on it!
    Well, re your flutter, when we hit the front you must have had palpitations MJP.....
    Only the Bulldogs know how to break a man's heart like that.

Are the Bulldogs in Rugby any good? Not that I know much about it, Maybe I can do a code transplant and save myself some grief.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I wonder what Griffen must think to himself when some of our leadership group stand up in meetings and make big speeches to the playing group about their expectations of them. Probably something along the lines of "too bad you don't walk the talk"
    Some players can play well injured, Griffen is one of them.
    Higgins & Cooney, umm I am not so sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well, re your flutter, when we hit the front you must have had palpitations MJP.....
    Only the Bulldogs know how to break a man's heart like that.
    Had a selection meeting on at the same time as the game so watched it on delay...unfortunately people know who I support and like to torture me with score updates whenever things AREN'T going our way. The texts came think and fast in the last quarter.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.