Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team Round 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team Round 7

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Anyone else as puzzled by the moves with Stack as I am?

Is his selection this week an acknowledgement that he shouldn't have been dropped or did he do 'something' unrelated to footy that led to the demotion? I don't understand this one.
    Only thing I can think of is the consecutive 6-day turnarounds from Freo to Collingwood to Sydney meant we were going to rest some players for the Collingwood game and bring them back in this week, resting some who played in both matches against Freo and Collingwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Is his selection this week an acknowledgement that he shouldn't have been dropped or did he do 'something' unrelated to footy that led to the demotion? I don't understand this one.
    Nope, he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place and I see it as an acknowledgement of that.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Our 6th game and already we have Libba, Wallis, Markovic, and Skinner debuting. With Schofield, Tutt and maybe Howard to come, this could be the biggest year of débutantes we have had for a very long time.

Add to that DJ, Jones, Stack and Roughead with less than 20 games, plus Vez to come, the future is looking bright.
    I hope our senior coach gets to share in these spoils in the future. He is making some ballsy decisions this year that are anything but short-term, brave to do this in the last year of a contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    No idea either. He didn't play particularly well for Willi on the weekend, he fumbled a couple of times under pressure in defence, then spent the second half across half forward.
    Likewise a bit puzzled. I think Greystache is understating a little Stack's sub par performance and attitude against Coburg last week. Against that opposition he should've burnt it up as both Will and Mitch have been doing. He obviously didn't want to be out there, which I understand and can appreciate, as he gave this appearance and played somewhat dispiritedly. If based simply on last week's performance for Willy, then there was nothing there to suggest he deserved a call up which leads me to believe he was demoted for either matchup or disciplinary reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Skinner a no-brainer for the sub, or am I way off?

I recall Stack playing well in Canberra last year....likely not a consideration for this game, was just a thought that came to me.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Never commented about Stacks game against Freo because i never saw the game. It does seem strange however that he got dropped from the firsts, plays for Willy and doesn't perform and then gets re-selected when there is no obvious match up.

Maybe it was the MC plan to give him a break along the way
    So I assume you saw williamstown last week? I doubt he is in the side for a specific matchup, I would have thought it's more about his run off hb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Is Skinner a no-brainer for the sub, or am I way off?

I recall Stack playing well in Canberra last year....likely not a consideration for this game, was just a thought that came to me.
    He did.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    So I assume you saw williamstown last week? I doubt he is in the side for a specific matchup, I would have thought it's more about his run off hb.
    No, I was there and we spoke about the game in detail.

I assume from your comments you were there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    No, I was there and we spoke about the game in detail.

I assume from your comments you were there?
    I never commented about the williamstown game. I did see the freo game though.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say I'm surprised by the inclusion of Skinner. He's had 1 good game for Willy so far, and whilst I'm keen to see the promotion of kids into the team as opportunities arise (and are earned) I do not think that given our current win/loss record that now is the time to be experimenting with someone who could be either hit or very much a miss.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe guys like Skinner etc.. are doing what the coaching staff want, while not necessarily being stand outs for Williamstown.

It could be possible that these guys are getting games because they want them to play a specific role in the senior team, and they have done everything asked of them by the coaches at Williamstown. Skinner might have had one stand out game, but that doesn't mean the previous weeks he hasn't done what the coaching staff have asked of him, much like what Rocket said about Grant earlier this year.

Who knows what the directive was by the coaches to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair point G38

Post Thanks / Like

Picken going to BP states quite clearly that the Hard Tag role has changed to a defensive/ offensive screen role, in the backline he will be moving laterally across the 40m line in front of the forwards to cut off the ball, this defensive screen works higher up the ground. On the rebound he will provide an offensive screen to block/ pressure the opposition from making tackles or forcing a turnover. How we use Skinner will be interesting, I,d prefer to see him working with Jones as a double lead from the 40 to 50 metre line about 10 metres apart. Minson has to spend some time in the goal square, even if all he does is drag Mumford with him

Another interesting match , again , effective disposals, only kicking to a lead and defensive pressure are the key

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about timing... my Air Zephaniah T-Shirt came today! You bet your arse I will be wearing it to work tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone brave enough to nominate a sub? Looks set up for Zeph, he might struggle to run out the four quarters but could be a massive handful fresh for a quarter and a half.