Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rodney Eade puts Western Bulldogs on notice after third-straight loss

Glenn McFarlane
    May 07, 2011

FRUSTRATED Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said he was prepared to be brutal at the selection table for a second successive week after yesterday's eight-point loss to Sydney in Canberra.

Eade claimed the Bulldogs' inconsistent performance this year was more mental than physical, saying it was too easy to blame consecutive six-day breaks for the club's form.

The Bulldogs have only won two games in the first seven rounds, with those victories coming against Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Asked if he planned to be brutal ahead of Sunday's crucial clash with Richmond, Eade said: "We've got to be ... it doesn't matter who it is, if they can't play the role or do what they're expected to do, we've got to be able to find people who can."

The Bulldogs made four changes for the Swans match, including dropping three players including All-Australian Brian Lake.

He promised more changes this week, with Barry Hall, Shaun Higgins and Tom Liberatore possible inclusions against the Tigers.

"We're going to make some changes, no doubt," he said. "Hall and Higgins will be right next week, so they'll certainly be in. Young Libba (Liberatore) should be OK, so there's three and there might be some debutants. We made four (changes) for this game, so we're not afraid to make some changes."

Eade said the stuttering start to the season came from a lack of willingness to work hard. "Obviously it's a bit mental. It's just work rate," he said.

"We just got outworked in the second and third quarters. In the third quarter it was horrendous, and with the lack of work rate, obviously skills can drop off.

"We've just got to find players who are prepared to work and work consistently. That's why young (Lucas) Markovic's done extremely well, because he's prepared to give a contest and he works, even if he's exhausted. We haven't got enough players who are doing that."

He said the Bulldogs didn't deserve to win yesterday's game, despite kicking the first three goals of the game and finishing strongly in the last term to turn a 26-point deficit into an eight-point defeat.

"In the last quarter we probably had our chances to win. We didn't deserve to win but we had our chances and again, we need to be able to take those chances, but that's not the issue."

Ben Hudson was subbed out of the game midway through the third term to try to bring more run into the team, but debutant Zeph Skinner had marginal impact.

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade puts Western Bulldogs on notice after third-straight loss

Higgins and Hall would be welcome additions and against a quick side like the Tigers maybe it's time to select Djerrkura and Schofield.
    Getting more from Cooney would be a huge gain.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if any senior players are in the gun? Or will it be another case of we thought about making changes but we had a good talk and they trained well, I'm sure they will bounce back.

He said this after the essendon game and he said it a number of times last year.

I have no problems if no changes are made, but dont continue to suggest changes will be made when they are not.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter who makes up the 22 when they don't know their roles, or aren't willing to perform them. We follow the ball around like a team of Under 10s at the moment.

And please, Rocket, FFS use the sub properly, don't bring first-gamers in as substitutes, not allowing them time to settle. If they're not ready for a full 4 quarters don't pick them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Doesn't matter who makes up the 22 when they don't know their roles, or aren't willing to perform them. We follow the ball around like a team of Under 10s at the moment.

And please, Rocket, FFS use the sub properly, don't bring first-gamers in as substitutes, not allowing them time to settle. If they're not ready for a full 4 quarters don't pick them.
    Here Here BAS

Where's GMo7? He was repeating this all week in other threads
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The MC will have a hard task this week. Swinging the axe, though tempting, could be counter productive. To me it looks like confidence is well down, and some hard-to-define ingredient..flow? The intuitive thing that comes from guys who've played together a lot? For example, while individually, markovich, stack, hill and murphy have done fine things at times in the back line, they don't have that instinctive knowledge, style and chemistry that we had when lake, Morris, gilbee, hargrave etc had gelled together over many years.

So if we bring in still more new players, that will increase that lack of cohesion which is hurting us at present.

Yet persisting with out of form players has risks too. A difficult task for selectors, but wholesale changes might make it still harder for us to get our zest and confidence back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    The MC will have a hard task this week. Swinging the axe, though tempting, could be counter productive. To me it looks like confidence is well down, and some hard-to-define ingredient..flow? The intuitive thing that comes from guys who've played together a lot? For example, while individually, markovich, stack, hill and murphy have done fine things at times in the back line, they don't have that instinctive knowledge, style and chemistry that we had when lake, Morris, gilbee, hargrave etc had gelled together over many years.

So if we bring in still more new players, that will increase that lack of cohesion which is hurting us at present.

Yet persisting with out of form players has risks too. A difficult task for selectors, but wholesale changes might make it still harder for us to get our zest and confidence back.
    There is a real lack of willingness in the players to work hard, take risks and take the opposition on. Perhaps it's the style of play with the tighter zones and the forward press, but i think we are definately lacking some running drive out of the back half. Easton Wood is probably the only one ready for that role when he's not injured. Schoey and Dahlhaus will also add some much needed pace but are they ready yet?

We've all heard Rocket talk about changes in the past. I doubt he will drop any major senior players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    There is a real lack of willingness in the players to work hard, take risks and take the opposition on. Perhaps it's the style of play with the tighter zones and the forward press, but i think we are definately lacking some running drive out of the back half. Easton Wood is probably the only one ready for that role when he's not injured. Schoey and Dahlhaus will also add some much needed pace but are they ready yet?

We've all heard Rocket talk about changes in the past. I doubt he will drop any major senior players.
    Hi Cyberdog
    Dahlhaus is on the rookie list so that's not an option. I think we've been fair - ok taking the game on but basic skill errors are what's costing us dearly. Ball use, hitting targets and 4 quarter effort.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Wonder if any senior players are in the gun? Or will it be another case of we thought about making changes but we had a good talk and they trained well, I'm sure they will bounce back.

He said this after the essendon game and he said it a number of times last year.

I have no problems if no changes are made, but dont continue to suggest changes will be made when they are not.
    What senior players from the Sydney game do you think deserve to be dropped?

Boyd - safe but needs to work on basic skills.

Cooney - safe but only just, needs to impact the game more and work on basic skills. A run at Willi might be a wake up call. But easily still in our top 3 players, needs to show it.

Griffen - safe, has been consistently good.

Cross - safe, as always foot skills an issue.

Picken - safe, 120% at the contest every week but throws the ball on the boot too often and ending up as a turn over.

Ward - safe, like Picken 120% at the contest but need to impact the game a bit more.

Murphy - safe, need two of him.

Stack - safe, I thought his game was OK without being great, improves all the time.

Gia - safe, so important to our forward set up. Noticed the difference when he's not there.

Hill - ? Could be very important part of the team, I'd love to see him put his head over the ball.

Morris - safe, so so important especially without Lake down back.

Sherman - safe, was quite on Saturday but has shown how dangerous he can be. Needs to get more ball in the midfield though.

Williams - safe, would like to see him take more marks ala Brian Lake style.

Grant - ? Needs to work harder. Looks as if he has a chip on his shoulder. Needs to be more competitive and to learn to hate losing. Training wheels are off.

Jones - ? Lucky to get a game, probably doesn't deserve it but needs the game time. Needs a break out game. Always tries hard though.

Hudson - safe, but looks to be labouring, although Mumford is probably the second best ruckman getting around at the minute, so a tough day at the office. If Roughead was in form, could be pushed out.

Minson - safe, I like the way he's going about it right now. He's ahead of Hudson at the moment IMO.

Moles - ? Kicked a good goal but might not be enough to keep his spot.
    Might just need a few games at senior level to get continuity though.

Wallis - ? Looks to be at little out of his league at the moment. Probably get dropped for Libba.

Markovic - Safe, I love this blokes endeavour. Lucky we have him since Lake has been underdone.

Skinner - ? I don't think a playing a first gamer as a sub has worked. Would like to see him given another crack for four quarters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    What senior players from the Sydney game do you think deserve to be dropped?

So based on your analysis, we have Grant, Jones, Moles, Wallis and Skinner. You are probably right. Not sure if Grant and Jones would both be dropped. If Hall is right, Jones might lose his spot. Although, I don't think Skinner should have played, now that he is in, he must get another game. Therefore that leaves two changes Jones and Moles, maybe Grant.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure Hudson and Gilbee are 'safe.' They would have to be the most vulnerable among the 'senior citizens'. But agree with the basic point, that despite the rhetoric, it is more likely to be kids that get dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Cross is providing any value. He consistently stops the flow every time he gets the ball. I know he is courageous but while he runs all day it does take him all day, because lacks any speed and he is not a decisive user of the ball.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I wonder if Cross is providing any value. He consistently stops the flow every time he gets the ball. I know he is courageous but while he runs all day it does take him all day, because lacks any speed and he is not a decisive user of the ball.
    Every time he gets it, I'm rapt — they need to stop the flow sometimes. There is absolutely no point running the ball as fast as we can into our forward 50 when there's nobody there to receive it.

This is how I see it played out time and again — correct me if I'm missing some deeper strategic goal, OK? — the ball's in the D50, we have 14 players in the D50 swamping the contest and 3 or 4 players on the HB line. We force the turnover, handball it out to a running defender who picks a player on the HB line or in the centre. They spin around and without looking, play on immediately, regardless of the situation around them, only to quickly realise there's nobody (or just one bloke against 4 or 5) in the F50 to kick it to, and no structure to run it forward.

Solution? They bomb it in and pray that the football gods will be kind.

If they had've stopped, taken the mark and waited for those 14 players to run back forward, we'd have far more options running to goal.

Cross is vital. He may be slow, he may be a better handball than a kick, but the man has 700% heart, effort, workrate, all the things we need, and is too harshly judged (IMHO) on this forum in general.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 11-05-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Every time he gets it, I'm rapt — they need to stop the flow sometimes. There is absolutely no point running the ball as fast as we can into our forward 50 when there's nobody there to receive it.

Cross is vital. He may be slow, he may be a better handball than a kick, but the man has 700% heart, effort, workrate, all the things we need, and is too harshly judged (IMHO) on this forum in general.
    Problem is that after stopping and waiting an eternity, he then gives it to the opposition or someone under so much pressure they turn it over.

I take your point about kicking it blind and about his heart and workrate, but Cross just not use it to advantage in many situations.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Well if we dont win this week after Eade has mentioned all this where does it lead next?