Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Smorgo - Dogs 'still alive and kicking'

Michael Gleeson - The Age - 10 May

THE Western Bulldogs didn't expect to be here. But they still believe they will get to where they thought they were going.

''I think we can still make the top four,'' club president David Smorgon said yesterday. ''To do that we probably need to win 12 out of our 16 games and I think that is do-able. While it's possible you keep hope alive and I don't think it's a forlorn hope.''
    Advertisement: Story continues below

The Bulldogs are at once comforted and confronted by the fact that after six games last year they had won only one more game than this season. But last year they entered a phase of three straight victories on their way to winning 10 of 13 games.

Consequently the Bulldogs president acknowledges his side confronts a similarly defining period now.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smorgo - Dogs 'still alive and kicking'

If Williams is out this week then this could happen:

"Lake could return on Sunday to play on Jack Riewoldt but having lacked so badly for form before being dropped, the question will be whether he rediscovered it in one VFL week."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they need to work out how they're going to win the flag from outside the Top 4. Only way we'll get one this year, by the look of it so far.

Post Thanks / Like

sigh...if only
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I think they need to work out how they're going to win the flag from outside the Top 4. Only way we'll get one this year, by the look of it so far.
    I know the argument about double chances etc when finishing top 4, but over the past 3 seasons we havent won in 1st week of the finals, so we end up playing 3 weeks in a row anyway, and if we made the GF then 4 weeks.

If we come from the lower end of the final 8, there is no reason why we shouldnt be optimistic, especially if we come into the finals on the back of some good form. If we dont have any further serious injuries, and get some match fitness into the players who are currently injured, who is to say we wont hit the finals running.

It all depends on the next month, if we can get a couple of wins we may be able to regroup for the 2nd half of the season. I read somewhere that we have won 14 quarters for the year, which is a lot more than the teams around us on the ladder, so it shows we are still being competitive.

We also need some luck.....(for a change)

Post Thanks / Like

History says that trying to get into a GF from the lower reaches of the eight is practically futile.

Post Thanks / Like

We have to make finals first

ezekiel89 Guest

We could always do an adelaide in 98 they finish fifth, also they robbed us of 2 premierships (97 and 98)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We have to make finals first
    Exactly. My confidence in what i have seen so far this year doesnt paint a good picture with Rich, WC (perth), Geel (SS) and Haw in the next month. Could easily be 2-8 after that lot, and wouldnt make the 8 from that point.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Banana View Post
    I know the argument about double chances etc when finishing top 4, but over the past 3 seasons we havent won in 1st week of the finals, so we end up playing 3 weeks in a row anyway, and if we made the GF then 4 weeks.

If we come from the lower end of the final 8, there is no reason why we shouldnt be optimistic, especially if we come into the finals on the back of some good form. If we dont have any further serious injuries, and get some match fitness into the players who are currently injured, who is to say we wont hit the finals running.

It all depends on the next month, if we can get a couple of wins we may be able to regroup for the 2nd half of the season. I read somewhere that we have won 14 quarters for the year, which is a lot more than the teams around us on the ladder, so it shows we are still being competitive.

We also need some luck.....(for a change)
    I would argue that finishing 5th and getting an "easy kill" against the team that finishes 8th (or any type of kill really) would be better than finishing 4th and copping Collingwood and losing. Obviously the ideal situation would be to make the four and win round 1, but would it have been better to make that Prelim with momentum on the back of two wins (and an "easier fixture in the first round of finals) in the last few years? I would think so.

The history argument will always be there. But sooner or later there will be an exception to every rule, just like Adelaide from 5th example.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is, in the prelim you're playing a team who's had a week's rest, and they invariably run over the top of you in the third or fourth quarters.

Make top four, win the first final, you've almost guaranteed yourself a GF berth.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is, in the prelim you're playing a team who's had a week's rest, and they invariably run over the top of you in the third or fourth quarters.

Make top four, win the first final, you've almost guaranteed yourself a GF berth.
    Yes thats been our major problem, we keep losing the first final (except in 1997/98)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree, facing a team who have had the week off seems a mighty mountain to climb. My argument was more that I think we would be better placed doing that off the back of two wins with momentum (possibly with the first being an "easier game") than copping a kick in the guts (and confidence) in week one.

Ideally you want to win round 1 and get the break, but coming to the prelim with two wins from fifth would surely have to be the next best thing.