Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hargrave a chance to return

By Jennifer Witham

WESTERN Bulldogs defenders Ryan Hargrave and James Mulligan are being considered to bolster the backline this week against Richmond in the expected absence of Tom Williams and Brian Lake.

Hargrave played his first game for the year last weekend in the VFL after overcoming two bouts of off-season surgery on a serious foot complaint.

Mulligan, 21, is a former rookie in his fourth season at Whitten Oval. He started this season in the Williamstown reserves but has since played four matches in the VFL seniors.

With Williams likely to miss with the ankle he rolled against the Sydney Swans last Saturday and Lake expected to spend a second week gathering match fitness and form in the lower league, the Dogs could call up one or two of the defenders to take on the Tigers' forward line, which includes last year's Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt.

"Hargrave has played one game but he's trained for four or five weeks with pretty solid conditioning," Bulldogs general manager of football James Fantasia told afl.com.au this week.

"I dare say he'd come under consideration, especially with Tom hurting his ankle last week."

Mulligan, who at 199cm and close to 100kg is Barry Hall's usual pre-season match-up, could break through for his AFL debut almost four years after he made his way from Queensland club Southport to the club through the 2008 NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

"I love the fact we're talking about him. He's had some genuine form and I think that's a real positive for any player if they're going to get selected because it gives them confidence," Fantasia said.

"He's very realistic and in the mix, and I wouldn't rule him out."

The Dogs won't make a final assessment on Williams until later in the week but it appears unlikely the key back will play despite playing out the loss to the Swans.

"His ankle started to blow up through the game and you're never really sure because they sometimes go down very quickly or other times it takes a bit longer," Fantasia said.

"We're hopeful he can still get up for it and it's helped that it's a Sunday game with an eight-day break."

Hall is a certainty to miss as he continues to work his way back from an ankle operation after the round five loss to Fremantle, while Shaun Higgins will be assessed again but is likely to nurse his groin through another weekend.

"Hall's got to get a bit more of rest into that ankle and start light training, which is what he's doing now," Fantasia said.

"Shaun will be a test this week. We're not ruling him out but he's the same as last week; we don't want to be in a position where we're rushing him back."

Fantasia said the club's doctors were closer to working out how to manage Higgins' groin issues and believed they were on top of his treatment.

"You either rest it or have surgery on it. From the managing side, we're hoping it's going to come good itself and I think that's happening because he's getting more and more movement," he said.

"He's feeling good and that's the best part."'

Tom Liberatore is a chance to return after missing last week with general soreness while Jayden Schofield could debut after being named as an emergency in the past two matches.

Fantasia also said the match committee would discuss the merits of giving last week's first-gamer Zeph Skinner a longer opportunity to show his wares after he was substituted into the Swans' game in the third quarter.

"It's more about team balance and what's good for him as well," he said.

"We're probably not keen to play a player starting off as the sub a couple of weeks in a row.

"That's the talking point at the moment; do we keep him in and give him more game time or do we change things altogether? That'll be one of the decisions made in the next couple of days."

Patrick Veszpremi will return from a broken finger this weekend in the VFL.
    for westernbulldogs.com.au
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hargrave a chance to return

Debut yet another player? The bottom of the barrel has some deep finger marks in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently then Mitch Hahn is below the bottom of the barrel.

We need forward pressure (amongst other things), a goal kicker and someone who will go hard all day. I would have thought this was tailor made for Mitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Apparently then Mitch Hahn is below the bottom of the barrel.

We need forward pressure (amongst other things), a goal kicker and someone who will go hard all day. I would have thought this was tailor made for Mitch.
    Mitch Hahn's a rookie, and can't be played unless a senior player goes on the LTI and the coaches elevate him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Mitch Hahn's a rookie, and can't be played unless a senior player goes on the LTI and the coaches elevate him.
    Mitch is also injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Then we should play Dahlhaus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Then we should play Dahlhaus.
    He's a rookie, can't play unless we add someone on the Primary List onto the Long Term Injury List.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    He's a rookie, can't play unless we add someone on the Primary List onto the Long Term Injury List.
    I know. Should have put a rolleyes after my post.

Touché to you TCD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Mitch is also injured.
    and slow

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and slow
    He has been in great touch this year and would've been very close to selection if he didn't get injured.

The slow comment is so 2010..... You really need to go and watch him play... or even train.

Post Thanks / Like

He has been in great touch this year and would've been very close to selection if he didn't get injured.

The slow comment is so 2010..... You really need to go and watch him play... or even train.
    I haven't seen him at all this year - what has he done to improve in areas that he's perceived to be lacking in (pace/mobility) Has he trimmed down at all (not that he was too bulky)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I haven't seen him at all this year - what has he done to improve in areas that he's perceived to be lacking in (pace/mobility) Has he trimmed down at all (not that he was too bulky)
    He just looks to be in good shape... reports were that he was pretty banged up towards of 2010, but he looks fit and healthy and is moving well.

Post Thanks / Like

He just looks to be in good shape... reports were that he was pretty banged up towards of 2010, but he looks fit and healthy and is moving well.
    A Mitch Hahn circa 2008 would be handy right about now
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you are saying but he was never super quick.

Post Thanks / Like

He is named for Willi this week, I the knock on his knee likely to keep him out?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I know what you are saying but he was never super quick.
    He doesn't look much slower this year than Higgins or Gia to me.