Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Morris cites Callan Ward as hero of Dogs win

Michael Horan

TOP defender Dale Morris says Western Bulldogs youngster Callan Ward was one of the heroes of the side's imposing 35-point win of Richmond yesterday.
    Ward had a season-high 27 possessions plus six effective tackles to play a key role as the Bulldogs broke a three-game losing streak, ending a three game winning run for the Tigers in the process.

The Bulldogs have been repeatedly queried - and tested - for a lack of leg speed but Ward's effort did much to remedy that perceived deficiency yesterday.

''He was really, really good,'' Morris, who stood Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt, told SEN today.

''He stood up when it matter and just the way he hit the ball with speed. We all know his courage and stuff like that, but he added another dimension to his game last night with the way he was bursting out of packs.

''He was our best, or one of the best yesterday.''

Morris agreed it was the best performance of the 21-year-old Ward's 45-game career.

The Bulldogs defender said the players made a pact during the week to lift their intensity to get the essential win.

''We've been pretty close the last few weeks and just haven't been able to close out the games. So we all got together and identified some focus area we really wanted to improve on.''

''It all worked really well yesterday and it was good to walk away with the four points.''
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Morris cites Callan Ward as hero of Dogs win

Glove, I think we all agree - Ward was sublime yesterday - a joy to watch!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    Glove, I think we all agree - Ward was sublime yesterday - a joy to watch!
    Another reason to thank Richmond. Not only did they take a fading Jordy in return for the Ward pick 19, they went ahead and picked Rance with pick 18 (and probably did us a favour as we probably would have picked Rance if he was still available). Now, Rance may well turn out to be a honest speedy half-back flanker, but Ward on yesterday's form will become an elite centreman for years to come, and I know which one is harder to find (and wins you premierships).

Post Thanks / Like

and which ones are likley to be lured to GWS....touch ward...I mean wood.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best 4 quarter performances I,ve seen from a young player , tough, aggressive , effective . The sort of player you label a building block for the future , GCS and GWS can bugger off, he's staying with us

Post Thanks / Like

LOL @ the photo.
    Should make a comp. out of it.

E.g. in my edit of the photo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danstar View Post
    LOL @ the photo.
    Should make a comp. out of it.

E.g. in my edit of the photo
    "If I can get past this clown, I'm gonna use the hair as a battering ram"
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like