Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Eade calls for Dogs to be ferocious, intense

Michael Horan - Herald Sun - 17 May

MAINTAIN the rage. That's the mission of the Western Bulldogs as they embark on a searching three-week campaign that may well define their season.

After showing signs of the sparkle that took them to last year's preliminary final when they thrashed Richmond by 35 points at the weekend, coach Rodney Eade said it was essential his players kept that same level of intensity through crucial games against West Coast in Perth, Hawthorn at Etihad and then Geelong at Skilled Stadium in the coming weeks.

''There's no doubt about that,'' Eade said on 3AW.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eade calls for Dogs to be ferocious, intense

Agree with Rocket's call on Ward re: not spending enough time in the centre square. He showed his worth on Sunday; the pace at which he hit the contest was most pleasing.

Also liked that Cross spent more time in there and hope this continues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Agree with Rocket's call on Ward re: not spending enough time in the centre square. He showed his worth on Sunday; the pace at which he hit the contest was most pleasing.

Also liked that Cross spent more time in there and hope this continues.
    Yes, very happy to see them (by them, I mean coaching panel) analysing their own tactical mistakes and successes and rectifying them, instead of laying the entire blame at the feet of players. Good signs, hope they keep it up…

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed at one stage our starting 4 were Minson, Cross, Addison & Liberatore.

Maybe not a lot of class but certainly some hard heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I noticed at one stage our starting 4 were Minson, Cross, Addison & Liberatore.

Maybe not a lot of class but certainly some hard heads.
    You don't think Libba's two-footed precision in heavy traffic counts as class? Point taken though -- almost Sydney-like, that set-up.

Post Thanks / Like

ps.

Quote from the article: ''He showed his worth at the weekend, His attack on the footy and his attack on the opponent was terrific. it's marvellous, isn't it, but we expect a lot of younger players but once they play 25, 20 or 40 games it seems a lot easier for them. they make good decisions.''

Interesting one, almost related to Sockeye's 20-game rule.

Is it also an insight into his changed stance this year with younger players? We seem to have played quite a few more than usual (probably forced to) and they are starting to respond, with Jones, Ward, Grant and Stack (yes, Stack) starting to contribute. We still need to get the balance right (ie. Minson on current form over Roughead every day of the week) but it's good to see the development focus this year while still being very competitive. (In fairness, some of our senior players from years past -- Johnno, Aker etc. -- were absolute guns that would have been hard to drop. Hahn last year and Eagle were probably the two that stood out a bit though.)

I think it's actually the right way to go about development -- have young players come in around a hardened side, so even losses are pretty close and they contribute to wins regularly, as opposed to Dean Bailey's ridiculous "we'll lose by 100 points every week for three years but wait till they grow up!" tanking strategy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    ps.

Quote from the article: ''He showed his worth at the weekend, His attack on the footy and his attack on the opponent was terrific. it's marvellous, isn't it, but we expect a lot of younger players but once they play 25, 20 or 40 games it seems a lot easier for them. they make good decisions.''

Interesting one, almost related to Sockeye's 20-game rule.

Is it also an insight into his changed stance this year with younger players? We seem to have played quite a few more than usual (probably forced to) and they are starting to respond, with Jones, Ward, Grant and Stack (yes, Stack) starting to contribute. We still need to get the balance right (ie. Minson on current form over Roughead every day of the week) but it's good to see the development focus this year while still being very competitive. (In fairness, some of our senior players from years past -- Johnno, Aker etc. -- were absolute guns that would have been hard to drop. Hahn last year and Eagle were probably the two that stood out a bit though.)

I think it's actually the right way to go about development -- have young players come in around a hardened side, so even losses are pretty close and they contribute to wins regularly, as opposed to Dean Bailey's ridiculous "we'll lose by 100 points every week for three years but wait till they grow up!" tanking strategy.
    hey Well put Lantern
    Boy, they are under the pump and rightly so.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    You don't think Libba's two-footed precision in heavy traffic counts as class? Point taken though -- almost Sydney-like, that set-up.
    Libba has practically overtaken Gia already as our best user of the football in heavy traffic. Teams will start to put some work into stopping him kicking with his left foot soon enough.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Libba has practically overtaken Gia already as our best user of the football in heavy traffic. Teams will start to put some work into stopping him kicking with his left foot soon enough.
    I have no idea on the actual stats so this is all anecdotal, but I view Lib as the inside 50 king. He just seems to find someone with a forward entry.

He also seems to have what a lot of good midfielders have... time.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    His right foot goal was nice as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I have no idea on the actual stats so this is all anecdotal, but I view Lib as the inside 50 king. He just seems to find someone with a forward entry.

He also seems to have what a lot of good midfielders have... time.
    On the weekend he had 6 inside 50's, third to Ward 10 and Boyd 8
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    On the weekend he had 6 inside 50's, third to Ward 10 and Boyd 8
    Any idea how many ended up with a mark for all 3? Or a goal / point if a shot from outside 50 is counted as an i50?

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be too harsh but why have we waited til this week to show some ferocity and intensity? Where was it from round one.

Did we take too much of a long term view regarding how we approach this season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought Cross played his best game this year.
    Bornadog, isn't it funny the 5 min interview on AW has turned into an article. As you said the interview was a waste of time, yet an article has come from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Any idea how many ended up with a mark for all 3? Or a goal / point if a shot from outside 50 is counted as an i50?
    I can remember he kicked two goals, plus passed a beautiful kick to hit (can't remember) on the chest resulting in another goal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.