Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Current Best 22

Who do you all think is our best 22? With a lot of our injured players due to come back next week/week after i am struggling to see who we can omit. We have Lake, Williams, Wood, Hall and Higgins to come back. You would think Addison, Moles, Hill and probably Stack would go but who else? Tough choice but good to see the squad so competitive! I would have the following (not a ranking):

1. Hall
    2. Higgins
    3. Wood
    4. Lake
    5. Murph
    6. Sherman
    7. Libba
    8. Grant
    9. Jones
    10. Boyd
    11. Cross
    12. Picken
    13. Ward
    14. Cooney
    15. Griffin
    16. Williams
    17. Markovic
    18. Hargrave
    19. Gilbee
    20. Morris
    21. Minson
    22. Hudson

I have no idea who i would make sub. probably libba or sherman though. and still need room for wallis down the track. And yes there is a noteable absentee in Gia! i am sorry but he just isn't pulling his weight

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Current Best 22

Gia is better than Wood. Wood has played 14 games and has proven nothing yet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Gia is better than Sherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Gia in for Grant or Jones at this stage.

I actually see only 2 of Jones, Grant and Hall playing at any one time this season. Minson provides cover in this area. And yes I know Grant plays like a tall small.

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult at this stage of the year as we have still not seen a lot of some of our new recruits (except Libba and Sherman) and we have had numerous players out with injury making it tough to get a good form line. I will have a go at a team based on my opinion of what their likely potential is this year. This is going to be based on highly subjective judegments on how much they may develop or worsen over the course of he year.

FB: Ryan Hargave Brian Lake Dale Morris
    HB: Robert Murphy Tom Williams Easton Wood
    C: Justin Sherman Mathew Boyd Ryan Griffen
    HF: Callan Ward Barry Hall Jarrad Grant
    FF: Pat Vezpremi Will Minson Shaun Higgins
    FOll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Daniel Cross

INT: Liam Picken, Daniel Giansiracusa, Lindsay Gillbee SUB: Nathan Djerkurra

Lucky
    Jarrad Grant: Has had an up and down season and will need to show some improvement to hold this spot. His upside though is enormous with his speed, agility height and leap. Plays much better when he is the third tall so requires two other genuine targets to take the pressure off him.

Pat Vezpremi: Based on hope this selection but he marks well for his height and is a good kick and strong over the ball. If he can get fit and show some pace and defensive pressure he will add considerable firepower.

Easton Wood: His best has him in the team with his line breaking run and defensive intensity critical to a well balanced backline. Will need to stay on the field and look after his disposal though to hold his place. Could lose out to Gilbee, Stack or Hill as the second starting defensive runner.

Justin Sherman: Attacking potential and goal scoring keep him in but he needs to calm down, be cleaner and play to the team role. Nedds to take the Justin Sherman out of team, but if he can do that will add some grunt, pace and firepower.

Nathan Djerkurra: Is included as the sub becasue of his flexibility to play midfield or forward, the tank to play a whole game if we cop an injury, and the pace and aggression to come on and make an impact. Will have to fight off others for this spot including Wallis, DFA and Brodie Moles.

Borderline
    Gia: Is in because of his experience and class but his lack of pace is a continuing concern.

Higgins: See above, still needs to prove his body can hold up at AFL level.

Gilbee: His forward line reinvention gives him the flexibility needed to support selection but will need to hold his form.

Very Unlucky
    Tom Liberatore: has been a revelation so far and could well force his way in. For mine he is competing with Cross as an inside midfielder and Gia as a distributor and could overtake either. As a first year player his inside game and exquisite passing have him ahead of Wallis so far. He is out becasue I am not sure how his younger body and lack pf pace will cope with a final against some of the tougher teams. He could very well be our Joel Selwood though (without the annoying buckle the knees get a free habit).

Lucas Markovic: Has done absoultely nothing wrong and has been a defensive godsend. Simply put Williams and Lake in theory offer greater mobility and counter attack from defense improving our attacking balance. He could overtake either key defender if Williams' form drops off or he gets injured, or if Brian can't address his, injury/form/attitude issues. Could come in at the expense of Wood/Hargave if we are concerned about some opposition forward lines but I would argue he shouldn't, we have had success in the past playing attacking players on slower opposition talls and I like slections that supports our style of play not selection that reflects the opposition.

Unlucky
    Liam Jones: Has shown some glimpses of talent so far but also evidence as to why he is not yet ready. His marking is a feature but he is not yet strong enough to get front spot on a consistent basis, his pressure is good but he sticks relatively few tackles and he still is inconsitent in his goal kicking and disposal. Another year in the program will hopefully have him knocking on the door by year's end and ready to take 2012 apart.

Brennan Stack and Josh Hill: Have both been ok and poor in patches and either could add some x factor but there is too much inconsistency in perfromance so far to put them ahead of other players.

Problems
    Dinorucks: AFL 2011 is a game that requires a good ruckman/ruck combo with an increase seen so far in the number of stoppages. For evidence look at Collingowwd both with and without Jolly. The penalty we pay with the Dinoruck combo of Will and Ben is their lack of utility. Will is a stop gap up forward but without him in the side we have seen Hudson worn down and dominated by Sandilands and Hille. Jordan Roughead may be the eventual answer but he looks like he may need another year in the gym to compete consistently at this level. Playing Dinorucks will help stop us getting monstered at stoppages but means we will be at a disadvantage compared to some teams in terms of utility and run.

Slow forward line: With Minson, Hall, Higgins and Gia, we have a potentially very slow forward line at various times. While careful rotation might be part of the answer to this problem we will also depend on support from our midfield to help set up a strong defensive press. The quicker forwards in Grant and Vezpremi will need to play with high intensity with faster rotated players in Griffen, Cooney, Djerkurra and Sheman also laying tackles. The other answer to this problem is to be more efficient in scoring, simply put, more marks and better accuracy reduce our exposure to opposition's running it out.

Strengths
    This team should be faster and harder running then Bulldogs 2010 with a good mix of contested ball winning, attacking firepower and defensive run.

Theteam has some positional flexibility with Gilbee, Murphy and Lake all capable of going forward or back if we want to mix things up. Minson, Gia, Griffen, Cooney, Sherman, Ward, Higgins and Djerkurra should all be able to rotate both forward and midfield providing more rotations and more minutes of TOG for running players.

Tactics
    In terms of tactics we need to pick our moments, when we are 'on' we should have the confidence to attack through the middle and put big scores on opponents, when we need to though we need to switch to low risk tactics using the wing and conservative passing options and and contested ability. An improvemnt on better protection of our ball carriers should also be a focus of the rest of the Home and Away season to prepare for finals.

Obviously there is a lot of optimisim in this team and review, however ask me in four weeks and this could all change.

Post Thanks / Like

I think not having a "best 22" is a good thing in the modern game, as different opposition should mean different players in the line up. We've got a lot of players now in the 12-30th players on the list bracket that can come in and play a role which is going to be a big advantage.

Whilst covering key players is always difficult, our depth is better and more tested/prepared than it has been in previous years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Gia is better than Sherman.
    yeah, look I noticed when a few other players kicked goals Sherm didn't jog in and give them a pat on the back like others did. Maybe he could learn to be a little more team orientated. Anyone else notice this?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gia is better than Wood. Wood has played 14 games and has proven nothing yet.
    How can you even compare the 2?

They play completely different roles and in different areas of the ground and wouldn't be competing for the same spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How can you even compare the 2?

They play completely different roles and in different areas of the ground and wouldn't be competing for the same spot.
    The point is the op has left out GIa and included Wood. I am not comparing the two, I am saying GIa is in our best 22 and miles ahead of Wood as a best 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Gia is better than Grant.

Grant needs to do much much better.

He was very poor for most of the game against the Tigers and redeemed himself late in the third by getting on the end of others work.

For all the pot shots at Gia, he tackles more, takes more contested marks and sets up play. All areas where Grant needs to improve significantly.
    Gia can also take a turn in the middle and make an impact.

Too many supporters under rate the efforts of Gia, Gilbee etc. who do what is needed for a team game, sometimes to the detriment of their own game.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

My best 22:

FB: Markovic Lake Morris
    HB: Murphy Williams Hargreave
    C: Ward Boyd Griffen
    HF: Giansiracusa Jones Grant
    FF: Higgins Hall Sherman
    FOll: Hudson, Cooney, Cross

INT: Picken, Gilbee, Liberatore Minson

Looking at the above team, I'd have 6 subs if I could. Brodie Moles is doing an amazing job as a sub at the moment IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

He was very poor for most of the game against the Tigers and redeemed himself late in the third by getting on the end of others work.

For all the pot shots at Gia, he tackles more, takes more contested marks and sets up play. All areas where Grant needs to improve significantly.

Too many supporters under rate the efforts of Gia, Gilbee etc. who do what is needed for a team game, sometimes to the detriment of their own game.
    Agree with every word of this

Post Thanks / Like

As usual it's all about balance. I think you have to choose between Gia and Vez as both essentially play the same role. Can you aford to have Gia in the side at the expense of Grant with the impact it would have on our pace up forward? Selection decisions are never straight forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

If you are going to compare Grant and Gia, you may want to talk about Gia game against Richmond as well, not just Grant's.
    Either way, currently both are in our best 22

Post Thanks / Like

Just thinking aloud, if Gia's role up forward is questionable with Gilbee playing there and Higgins coming back - is it worth considering Gia in a midfield role - perhaps at the expense of Cross?