Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Current Best 22

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Just thinking aloud, if Gia's role up forward is questionable with Gilbee playing there and Higgins coming back - is it worth considering Gia in a midfield role - perhaps at the expense of Cross?
    Are you suggesting that Cross misses out? Each of these players brings something very different to the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Are you suggesting that Cross misses out? Each of these players brings something very different to the team.
    I'm just brainstorming balance-wise. Gia isn't usually seen as a midfielder - but played 3 games in the guts last year when Boyd had a broken hand. In those three games he averaged 32 possessions, we know he has a pretty big tank, and him getting the ball 30 times will invariably yield better results than Crossy's 30.

I know the game is about far more than just ball use - and Crossy has some great qualities. But with the game being played as it is now - I'm not 100% convinced we can have as many one-paced type smalls in the side. And at absolute full strength I don't think - Boyd, Libba, Cross, Higgins, Gia and Cross can all fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    If you are going to compare Grant and Gia, you may want to talk about Gia game against Richmond as well, not just Grant's.
    Either way, currently both are in our best 22
    It seems you are suggesting Gia didn't contribute, but he did at least as much as Grant without the goals.

Gia was much more involved across the full game.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Who do you all think is our best 22? With a lot of our injured players due to come back next week/week after i am struggling to see who we can omit. We have Lake, Williams, Wood, Hall and Higgins to come back. You would think Addison, Moles, Hill and probably Stack would go but who else? Tough choice but good to see the squad so competitive! I would have the following (not a ranking):

1. Hall
    2. Higgins
    3. Wood
    4. Lake
    5. Murph
    6. Sherman
    7. Libba
    8. Grant
    9. Jones
    10. Boyd
    11. Cross
    12. Picken
    13. Ward
    14. Cooney
    15. Griffin
    16. Williams
    17. Markovic
    18. Hargrave
    19. Gilbee
    20. Morris
    21. Minson
    22. Hudson

I have no idea who i would make sub. probably libba or sherman though. and still need room for wallis down the track. And yes there is a noteable absentee in Gia! i am sorry but he just isn't pulling his weight
    I agree with this summation, although do not expect too much support from Woof subscribers who have a fascination with Giansircusa irrespective of how many poor games he puts in. The jury is still out on Sherman who has been handy but eventually you will see the likes of Wallis taking his place. It is good to see Minson emerge in 2011, when one considers that he was offered as trade bait at the end of 2010. Our lack of depth beyond the 22 you have named is still a concern. We should have 30 players capable of playing consistently well at a senior level, which we still do not have at our disposal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Gia is better than Grant.

Grant needs to do much much better.

He was very poor for most of the game against the Tigers and redeemed himself late in the third by getting on the end of others work.

For all the pot shots at Gia, he tackles more, takes more contested marks and sets up play. All areas where Grant needs to improve significantly.
    Gia can also take a turn in the middle and make an impact.

Too many supporters under rate the efforts of Gia, Gilbee etc. who do what is needed for a team game, sometimes to the detriment of their own game.

Well said

Post Thanks / Like

How about you tell me what 22 we are playing against and I will tell you what our best 22 is? If it is just a list for the sake of a list, then does it really matter?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Gia is better than Grant.

Grant needs to do much much better.

He was very poor for most of the game against the Tigers and redeemed himself late in the third by getting on the end of others work.

For all the pot shots at Gia, he tackles more, takes more contested marks and sets up play. All areas where Grant needs to improve significantly.
    Gia can also take a turn in the middle and make an impact.

Too many supporters under rate the efforts of Gia, Gilbee etc. who do what is needed for a team game, sometimes to the detriment of their own game.
    Absolutely spot on, i have that many arguments about Gia it's unbelievable.

Well said.

Post Thanks / Like

What are we basing our best 22 on. This years form, previous years form, reputation or future potential?

Because some of the seleftions have come from each of these criteria.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I know the game is about far more than just ball use - and Crossy has some great qualities. But with the game being played as it is now - I'm not 100% convinced we can have as many one-paced type smalls in the side. And at absolute full strength I don't think - Boyd, Libba, Cross, Higgins, Gia and Cross can all fit.
    Maybe I'm underrating the speed of Geelong, and to a lesser extent Collingwood(who I think are a bit quicker than Geelong), but I wouldn't say their midfields are overly quick either. Yes, they both have some quick players, but both have quite a few guys who I'd call one-paced. Maybe some of our guys are slower than their slowest mids(?), but I don't think it's significant or that every one of our guys is slower than theirs.

Winning the ball and moving it quickly and effectively still trumps leg speed, and we have just about enough guys who I'd call quick who can run and carry anyway (admittedly, losing Harbrow has hurt in this area).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    How about you tell me what 22 we are playing against and I will tell you what our best 22 is? If it is just a list for the sake of a list, then does it really matter?
    well i would have thought that if we were a premiership threat then we wouldn't have to worry about what team our opposition fields but rather have our best 22 out there and have our opposition worry about matchups. if we keep needing to make adjustments to our lineup to matchup against our opposition then that indicates our opposition is superior. We need to be the threat not the other way around otherwise we will continue this mediocre trend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post
    What are we basing our best 22 on. This years form, previous years form, reputation or future potential?

Because some of the seleftions have come from each of these criteria.
    well if our premiership window is still open, which i think it is, then its based on current form.

Post Thanks / Like

well i would have thought that if we were a premiership threat then we wouldn't have to worry about what team our opposition fields but rather have our best 22 out there and have our opposition worry about matchups. if we keep needing to make adjustments to our lineup to matchup against our opposition then that indicates our opposition is superior. We need to be the threat not the other way around otherwise we will continue this mediocre trend.
    Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Just 5 posts in and we ain't accepting mediocrity already.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea. We'll just make their forwards pick up our backmen then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Good idea. We'll just make their forwards pick up our backmen then.
    i understand what you are saying and yes defense is a different area. But our best 22 would include a backline that can cover any forward setup. i dont see the likes of St.Kilda (from previous years) or geelong or collingwood tinkering with their backline week after week to suit their opposition. At most it should only require 1 change due to an exceptionally tall forward line. But even in that case, a good defensive strategy should overcome this such as playing a zone and having speedy running backs take the ball out quicker than it came in. similar to what stkilda and collingwood implement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Gia is better than Sherman.
    They are different players playing different roles. What is your comparision based on?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.