Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do players really play for the club nowadays?

I'm probably naive on this topic but I've always liked to think that beyond the individual rewards, there is a strong underlying principle of playing for the club. Everyone's pretty emotional after yesterday's debacle but it's made me question what sort of pride our blokes have in the jumper, the club and the constant effort of all those associated to survive and succeed.

Is it really only about the money? I expect my team to play for the people behind the scenes who work tirelessly. I expect them to play for me and the thousands of members who have stuck by the club through decade upon decade of disappointment. Do they really the understand the character it takes to back up every year with our hard earned hoping that this will be our year. They can mouth all the platitudes they like but losses like yesterday should never happen if they truly care about the club and it's band of loyal supporters.

We simply don't deserve this shit.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do players really play for the club nowadays?

I believe that a good team plays for each other and the operative word is team. I don't believe they really care about the club itself but rather playing together with mates and mateship.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I believe that a good team plays for each other and the operative word is team. I don't believe they really care about the club itself but rather playing together with mates and mateship.
    Mostly this.

However, if you look at a side like Richmond (and even Essendon), they are passionate about their club. I enjoy watching Richmond play because there's raw emotion for the jumper, fans and players. I think Collingwood and Geelong are similar, and Hawthorn to a lesser degree.

Clubs like ours, North Melbourne, Melbourne etc. I'm not so sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Mostly this.

However, if you look at a side like Richmond (and even Essendon), they are passionate about their club. I enjoy watching Richmond play because there's raw emotion for the jumper, fans and players. I think Collingwood and Geelong are similar, and Hawthorn to a lesser degree.

Clubs like ours, North Melbourne, Melbourne etc. I'm not so sure.
    Do you think the fans help this. Our fans are very quiet during a game and the only time you hear them is when we lose and they whinge on forums and radio talk back
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you think the fans help this. Our fans are very quiet during a game and the only time you hear them is when we lose and they whinge on forums and radio talk back
    Most other teams fans have periods of success or even eras of success to hang their hats on.

We have??

Performances like yesterday don't help the cause.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you ever feel guilty for making your children barrack for this club. Must admit I did yesterday. I could never walk away but I can't say I'd blame my children if they decided to follow another club. I'd be shattered but could understand.

Been a shitty Monday. My staff are walking on egg shells.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Do you ever feel guilty for making your children barrack for this club. Must admit I did yesterday. I could never walk away but I can't say I'd blame my children if they decided to follow another club. I'd be shattered but could understand.

Bad news gets around - people at work have been gagging to have a chat to me about yesterday
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Bad news gets around - people at work have been gagging to have a chat to me about yesterday
    After copping it off one person too many at work, I've spent the rest of the day with my ipod glued into my ears. I really gets my goat that I personally don't give anyone lip when their team is doing badly, but I cop back off everyone regardless!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

Must say, we had a laugh about just that last night. My little bloke is 7 months old - and he doesn't know what he is in for!

His team just got belted by 120 points - And his Mum's team is on top of the ladder!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    After copping it off one person too many at work, I've spent the rest of the day with my ipod glued into my ears. I really gets my goat that I personally don't give anyone lip when their team is doing badly, but I cop back off everyone regardless!
    It's the worst when those people who bag you are the least interested, most bandwagon jumping supporters going around. I'm talking about the guys that follow Essendon, think Lloydy is still at full forward, go to a match once every two years and wouldn't even know who they're playing and yet they still manage to get in your face with all the usual crap. There needs to be a law implemented that states that you cannot bag someone over sporting results unless your emotional investment to said sport is of a comparable or higher level.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Today I had a Fremantle supporter consoling me........a bloody Fremantle supporter

We are living in dark times indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

No-one believes me that any game against West Coast is the most important game of the year!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

My father-in-law is staying with me this week, and he has not let up.(finally did after a few home truths)
    Could be worse though he is a Hawks supporter and he could be staying next week.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question in the OP... I think that players do still play for the club, but that in this era of big money, exorbitant concessions to establish new teams, and upcoming free agency, it's lessened the loyalty somewhat. After all, money talks.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

On the ribbing from others, I got into a bit last night with some mates on FB, but not too much at work today. Of course, the kids sure let me know about it, and the guy next door is a Weagles fan. I have ONE Dogs supporter in my class.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]