Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Open letter to Western Bulldog Members and Fans

David Smorgon

Everyone at the Western Bulldogs knows that yesterday’s loss was totally unacceptable - the players, coaches, management, staff and the Board of Directors - and we all apologise to our Members and Fans.

We all share the disappointment and embarrassment of losing a game by 123 points, our fourth worst loss in the clubs history and our worst since 1996.

The players are aware they have let you, the Club, themselves and the jumper down but despite this loss our season is NOT over.

With 14 rounds to play, I want to re-iterate that we will continue to support and encourage Rodney Eade and the match committee to make whatever changes they feel necessary to ensure we again start playing consistent footy every week and every quarter.

We set ambitious targets this year based on our consistent record over the past three years and achieving these targets is the responsibility of everyone at the Western Bulldogs and not the responsibility of any one individual. We are all in this together.

The most critical issue now is to review what went wrong yesterday and start planning positively so that we regain the respect that the red, white and blue jumper deserves - against the Hawks this Sunday.

As always, I urge you to join me to get behind our team because now more than ever we need you.

David Smorgon OAM
    President, Western Bulldogs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Open letter to Western Bulldog Members and Fans

It's all good coming out and saying that but when words are not put into actions, well they're just words.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done to Smorgon for coming out with a strong message of support to the coach and the players. I understand that our supporters had invested a lot emotionally in what should have been a good year for us so I share their frustrations.

Sacking a coach mid season though as some are suggesting is an overly emotional response and good clubs like ours should work through the rough patches and eventually come out of it in a stronger position. We have done it before and we will no doubt do it again.

I have no problem with our supporters being as frustrated as they are but lets stay on course and stick with the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

An open letter to David Smorgon

Dear D. S.

Delighted to get your letter. I hope my multiple calls to the switchboard did not overwhelm the wonderful staff at Whitten oval. The receptionist was awfully patient with my rantings. you may have also noticed my multiple emails of a concerned nature. So kind of you to reply.

David, I read in a recent study that many doctors now concur that Soap Operas have a positive affect on people's health. It's true!
    The research says that in being engrossed by them, people feel a sense of familiarity with the characters, a sense of belonging is created and people also take on the actors as ' imaginary friends', helping to underpin a sense of security in our humble lives! Imagine that!!.

So it's of no surprise that Football clubs affect us humble members in the same way. I am at one with the players. I know every stat, all the ins and outs and I am ENGROSSED.

In my imaginary world, I go for a jog with Crossy in the morning and lift a few weights with Barry in the evening. All in my head mind you. When Bob pumps his fist with trademark grin, I like to pretend that he's doing it just for the pleasure of us members and little ol' me.

Nutty as hell Davo, I know, but I kid you not.

So David, you can imagine what a 120+ pasting does to my internal workings . It makes me cranky, like an old man who got skipped by meals on wheels. The button on the photocopier becomes a punching bag and all my co-workers wonder if there's been a death in my family. Well David, in a sense, there has.

On my run today, all my imaginary, normally red white and blue friends were sort of gray, pink and a faded bluey crappy colour.

Crossy was trying to run, unsmiling, wearing two left boots. Barry sulked around the gloomy gym, grinding his teeth, walking stick in hand, looking for his dentures. Callan ward was wearing curlers in his hair.....

David....my internal world is falling apart! AM I GOING MAD???

Please David, for the sake of my mental health, my internal wellbeing and sense of security....we MUST beat the living bjesus out of Hawthorn this week or surely they will have to come for me in the straight jacket

Oh, Do they have red white and blue straightjackets for sale at Whitten Oval David?

Dogged-ly yours

Ghostly Dawg
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 23-05-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    A

David....my internal world is falling apart! AM I GOING MAD???
    Quite possibly...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

The Whale Guest

Having been a supporter and member for over 40 years I have to say it was one of the most pitiful displays I have ever witnessed. The real issue here is that we as a club are on the whole unsuccessful. I look at clubs like Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, all go through lean periods, yet they have enough character within to recover. We have spent nearly ten years building to what appears now to be our pinnacle, two preliminary finals and that is an issue. We were outclassed, out muscled and outcoached and it was obvious the players have lost the desire. The truth is there is a major issue at the Western oval and it needs to be addressed. Sunday has been brewing since our handling of the Akermanis issue last year. We have not been on track since. I love the Bulldogs but I am getting very tired of the excuses year after year. We cannot recruit players with strong bodies who can win Grand Finals. Gotta say they are struggling to hang onto my investment next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Sacking coaches now i agree is not going to prove nothing now, but show consistancy to the fans and beat some top sides, STOP the crap!

Post Thanks / Like

Get behind us? Is he f#####g joking or what?

I did get behind you David. I travelled 6,000kms and cheered the entire match, all the way to the final siren. I copped the flak from the Eagles fans. I reassured my kids, who still sang the song anyway onthe way out.

Get behind me. Recruit players who are going to do their jobs. Send the others the way of Aker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
    what appears now to be our pinnacle, two preliminary finals and that is an issue.
    Don't know if you have been watching but it was three.

Gotta say they are struggling to hang onto my investment next year.
    Way to show the club, and if we get a few more like you the Doggies won't exist.

Having been a supporter and member for over 40 years I have to say it was one of the most pitiful displays I have ever witnessed. The real issue here is that we as a club are on the whole unsuccessful. I look at clubs like Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, all go through lean periods, yet they have enough .
    Would agree on the other three, but the Tigers have been pitiful for 30 years and don't even dare compare them to us.
    Last edited by KT31; 24-05-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

The Whale lost me at Richmond

Post Thanks / Like

Having been a supporter and member for over 40 years I have to say it was one of the most pitiful displays I have ever witnessed. The real issue here is that we as a club are on the whole unsuccessful. I look at clubs like Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, all go through lean periods, yet they have enough character within to recover. We have spent nearly ten years building to what appears now to be our pinnacle, two preliminary finals and that is an issue. We were outclassed, out muscled and outcoached and it was obvious the players have lost the desire. The truth is there is a major issue at the Western oval and it needs to be addressed. Sunday has been brewing since our handling of the Akermanis issue last year. We have not been on track since. I love the Bulldogs but I am getting very tired of the excuses year after year. We cannot recruit players with strong bodies who can win Grand Finals. Gotta say they are struggling to hang onto my investment next year.
    I understand what your saying, but I think you erred including Richmond, who have been in two finals for the past 30 years.

Edit: Sorry repeated KT31 and Remi posts I should have read on.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen an open letter from a club president apologising for a performance in a home and away game before, which suggests how terrible we must have been. It was a real shock to the system when I saw the final score. We Dogs fans are a hardy breed, but boy they don't make it easy, do they. It's hard to know where to go from here, or even how to react to such an outlier of a result. I guess all we can do as supporters/members is to wait in hope for a better showing next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I've never seen an open letter from a club president apologising for a performance in a home and away game before, which suggests how terrible we must have been. It was a real shock to the system when I saw the final score.
    I know we have had some bad losses over the years, and some very bad losses at that, but Sunday would have to go down as one of the worst days in the history of the club.

To be only 22 points down at the 12 minute mark of the 3rd quarter and go on to lose by 123 points is quite staggering. In 48 minutes of football, we allowed the opposition to score 19 goals to our 1. That's a goal every 2 and half minutes.

Hence the letter from Smorgon.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I know we have had some bad losses over the years, and some very bad losses at that, but Sunday would have to go down as one of the worst days in the history of the club.

To be only 22 points down at the 12 minute mark of the 3rd quarter and go on to lose by 123 points is quite staggering. In 48 minutes of football, we allowed the opposition to score 19 goals to our 1. That's a goal every 2 and half minutes.

Hence the letter from Smorgon.
    and we allowed Collingwood to score 8 goals in 20 minutes after we drew level in the last quarter. Something is wrong in the heads of these players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and we allowed Collingwood to score 8 goals in 20 minutes after we drew level in the last quarter. Something is wrong in the heads of these players.
    Thats when your leaders are supposed to step up. The game has passed a number of them, we need to retire the likes of Huddo, Cross, Gia, Gilbee and Hall over the course of the year.
    Thats alot of experience to lose in one season, I just dont see any other way we can move forward.