Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dog fight between Brian Lake and Nathan Eagleton resolved

STAR Western Bulldogs defender Brian Lake has finally resolved a protracted battle with former teammate Nathan Eagleton that threatened to spill into court.

The Dogs hope last week's settlement over the proceeds of a childcare business might be the mental release Lake needs as he fights to return to the AFL.

Lake hopes to return to the Bulldogs side against Hawthorn on Sunday, although the lack of a suitable match-up and his moderate VFL form might count against him.

The Bulldogs would be unlikely to play Lake on Lance Franklin, who is making regular forays upfield to find the ball.

The Dogs believe the penny has dropped for Lake, who struggled with his professionalism as he tried to rehabilitate his knee.

Eagleton's wife Angela had threatened legal action after squabbling over the distribution of money from the sale of North Altona childcare business Kidz Play Shak.

But last week all parties agreed to terms and signed off on the distribution of assets.

It was the end of a messy battle, which saw Eagleton and Lake fall out over the business they bought for their wives.

While the rift has been compared with the Andrew McLeod-Tyson Edwards rivalry at Adelaide, the Dogs do not believe it harmed their effort last season.

Both players are relaxed personalities who avoid confrontation, even if their wives were in a pitched battle about the direction of their childcare centre.

The resolution comes as the Bulldogs emphatically deny Lake postponed any off-season surgery to holiday overseas.

That accusation was thrown at Lake by former teammate Jason Akermanis, who said the dual All-Australian refused to reveal his injuries to medical staff then had his pre-season postponed as a result.

Lake required immediate knee surgery in Grand Final week, had hip surgery upon his return from holiday, then needed shoulder and bicep tendon surgery.

But he was among several players who had immediate surgery post-season, with Ryan Hargrave ordered into the operating theatre despite his forthcoming marriage.

Lake could not have both the knee and hip surgeries at the same time, and had his hip surgery just days after returning from holidays.

It was only after he resumed pre-season training that the shoulder began troubling him, with surgery revealing bicep tendon damage, which required attention.

But while Lake can be frustratingly relaxed, at no stage do the Dogs feel he was trying to deceive them about his injuries. What was annoying was the lack of attention paid to his fitness in the season's early weeks.

Finally, after a heated discussion that followed his demotion and Akermanis's barbs, he committed to doing everything possible to get back to full fitness.

As insiders say, it was "the kick up the a--- he needed".

Now comes a decision on whether to ignore his VFL form, especially given the Dogs' season is on the line against the Hawks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226061492241

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dog fight between Brian Lake and Nathan Eagleton resolved

Interesting article, and I am glad that the dispute has been settled without going to court. Now for the big question, can Brian get back on track and should we include him this week? Also interesting to read about the final "wake-up Brian" call - hopefully he can get back on track and on the park playing good footy - heaven knows we need him!

Post Thanks / Like

Come Brian, get out there and show us some AA form, for gods sake half the season is almost over.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see this past him and Eagleton.

I dont understand this part

"although the lack of a suitable match-up and his moderate VFL form might count against him."

Sorry but Buddy and Roughie are a handful and can't expect Williams and Morris to cover them without Brian's helping hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least that's good news. If that has been that much of a distraction that he hasn't concentrated on his footy, it's good that it resolved. I hate to say it but it seems that Aka is right and he was only the scape goat. Anyway, find your happy place Brian and steady this sinking ship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Well at least that's good news. If that has been that much of a distraction that he hasn't concentrated on his footy, it's good that it resolved. I hate to say it but it seems that Aka is right and he was only the scape goat. Anyway, find your happy place Brian and steady this sinking ship.
    SOOOO now ever one wants him back in the side,to steady a sinking ship,still not fit but HAY we dont care bring him in the season is over any way.Lake would also know this and you all wonder why players get a little disgruntled.And Aka being right he was the scape goat (who him or Lake).If him what a load of croc sh##t.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by porkie View Post
    SOOOO now ever one wants him back in the side,to steady a sinking ship,still not fit but HAY we dont care bring him in the season is over any way.Lake would also know this and you all wonder why players get a little disgruntled.And Aka being right he was the scape goat (who him or Lake).If him what a load of croc sh##t.
    I don't like aker as much as the next bloke by what he's done since his sacking. But he did say at the time that there are other issues and not just him at the club. He 's right, why weren't Eagleton and Lake bought out in front of the group to sort out their issues. There is shite going on in the inner sactum of the club that we don't know about and it's easy to kick out the one who is up front and voices their opinions. Aker was out of line and I don't deny that but to be singled out when there are other issues not being dealt with is "Scapegoat" criteria IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like aker as much as the next bloke by what he's done since his sacking. But he did say at the time that there are other issues and not just him at the club. He 's right, why weren't Eagleton and Lake bought out in front of the group to sort out their issues. There is shite going on in the inner sactum of the club that we don't know about and it's easy to kick out the one who is up front and voices their opinions. Aker was out of line and I don't deny that but to be singled out when there are other issues not being dealt with is "Scapegoat" criteria IMO.
    Do you honestly believe Aker was the only player to sit in the front of the group last season?

That's the kind of shit Akermanis and Sam Newman have been spouting to those incapable of their own independent thought. Aker appeals to a specific audience and that audience is, shall we say, not exactly at the top of the intellectual league tables.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Do you honestly believe Aker was the only player to sit in the front of the group last season?

That's the kind of shit Akermanis and Sam Newman have been spouting to those incapable of their own independent thought. Aker appeals to a specific audience and that audience is, shall we say, not exactly at the top of the intellectual league tables.
    Well that's true we don't know who was sat on the chair. Don't get me wrong I'm not sticking up for Aker but what I am saying is that maybe he was hard done by when he wasn't the only one that was a disruption. If Lake and Eagle were having problems and weren't even on speaking terms, why weren't they sent back to Williamstown (although Eagleton's form saw him back there). Aker probably got his just deserves but was he the only one getting disciplined? well this is my point.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's true we don't know who was sat on the chair. Don't get me wrong I'm not sticking up for Aker but what I am saying is that maybe he was hard done by when he wasn't the only one that was a disruption. If Lake and Eagle were having problems and weren't even on speaking terms, why weren't they sent back to Williamstown (although Eagleton's form saw him back there). Aker probably got his just deserves but was he the only one getting disciplined? well this is my point.
    Because there 'spat' wasn't played out infront of the media like Aker's was.

Post Thanks / Like

There was one reason Lake wasn't going to be playing at Willi last year regardless of him being a distraction or not, and we all know what that is.

A club can try and instill as much discipline as they like, but outside of exceptional circumstances (eg Cousins) on field form will always rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news is only about 3 people listen to Akermanis on that station.
    As you say the difference is Akermanis Is a Human Headline who can't shut up where as the other players don't sprout to the media throngs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Because there 'spat' wasn't played out infront of the media like Aker's was.
    and I'm guessing that the following from the article also is a reason.

the Dogs do not believe it harmed their effort last season.

Both players are relaxed personalities who avoid confrontation, even if their wives were in a pitched battle about the direction of their childcare centre.
    If they don't believe it is a problem it must not have gotten too heated between the pair. Again if the club don't believe it is a problem why would they "put them in the chair"?

Post Thanks / Like

A club can try and instill as much discipline as they like, but outside of exceptional circumstances (eg Cousins) on field form will always rule.
    WCE acted on Cousins when his behaviours varied from those agreed to by the playing group - basically, he starting being late to training and eventually missing sessions. The core values stuff that Aker tripped over were also what got Cousins.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.