Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: James Fantasia

Post Thanks / Like

James Fantasia

I've read a lot of criticism and frustration leveled at Eade, Smorgon and the players but nothing directed to the Football Operations Manager. How does Fantasia escape the same level of scrutiny?
    No doubt he has done some good things at the club but we have bungled a couple of trades since Clayton left and now we are having a bad run so surely Fantasia should be put under the microscope as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: James Fantasia

Excellent thread topic GVGjr.

Fantasia is largely derided by Adelaide supporters for being a poor recruiter, and I personally struggle to come up with anything of value he has brought to the table at the Dogs other than to lighten Rocket's non-core footy load (which to be fair was out of control in 2007, so someone was needed to fill this role).

Upgrading Mulligan and giving a fringe player like DJ a 3 year deal rank among the more ridiculous decisions that Fantasia has signed off on - 3 years!! I don't think DJ has even played 3 games in the last 3 years.

He certainly didn't handle the Lake contract negotiations particularly well either to be honest. Clayton's expert contract negotiation skills have been missed as sorely as his eye for talent, perhaps even more so.

When it was Rocket and Clayton together, I had supreme confidence during trade week that we won't get reamed (we never did) and that we will keep everyone we want to - I don't feel anywhere near as confident with Fantasia and Dalrymple behind the wheel alongside Rocket.

Post Thanks / Like

I would Imagine that the coach would surely get together with the recruiters and contract makers in some form to discuss worth of a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've read a lot of criticism and frustration leveled at Eade, Smorgon and the players but nothing directed to the Football Operations Manager. How does Fantasia escape the same level of scrutiny?No doubt he has done some good things at the club but we have bungled a couple of trades since Clayton left and now we are having a bad run so surely Fantasia should be put under the microscope as well.
    And Dalrymple as well?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Excellent thread topic GVGjr.

Fantasia is largely derided by Adelaide supporters for being a poor recruiter, and I personally struggle to come up with anything of value he has brought to the table at the Dogs other than to lighten Rocket's non-core footy load (which to be fair was out of control in 2007, so someone was needed to fill this role).

Upgrading Mulligan and giving a fringe player like DJ a 3 year deal rank among the more ridiculous decisions that Fantasia has signed off on - 3 years!! I don't think DJ has even played 3 games in the last 3 years.

He certainly didn't handle the Lake contract negotiations particularly well either to be honest. Clayton's expert contract negotiation skills have been missed as sorely as his eye for talent, perhaps even more so.

When it was Rocket and Clayton together, I had supreme confidence during trade week that we won't get reamed (we never did) and that we will keep everyone we want to - I don't feel anywhere near as confident with Fantasia and Dalrymple behind the wheel alongside Rocket.
    The even crazier thing is we even traded for him when we could have just picked him up for nothing.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    And Dalrymple as well?
    He would report to Fantasia and yet we have been caught out with some trades. Now I can accept a miss or two by the new boy but recruiting was Fantasia's main claim to fame and we have made at least one too many errors.
    In this instance I'm more interested in why the Footy Operations Manager isn't copping the same heat in the media and by our supporters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

He upgraded or signed off on Mulligan when we clearly had the opportunity to just give him another season as a rookie.
    We upgraded Hooper too early from my perspective. 3 year to DJ is an unnecessary risk and really our list management isn't great. As you say, the Eade and Clayton partnership was a good one although my views have been that we never cut into the list deep enough before Clayton's departure.

Rocket might be part of the problem with some player retention etc but in my opinion if Rocket doesn't get another contract Fantasia's position should be untenable as well.

Post Thanks / Like

He would report to Fantasia and yet we have been caught out with some trades. Now I can accept a miss or two by the new boy but recruiting was Fantasia's main claim to fame and we have made at least one too many errors.
    In this instance I'm more interested in why the Footy Operations Manager isn't copping the same heat in the media and by our supporters.
    That's fair enough and understandable.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question GVGjr, to be honest it's probably because the average supporter calling for Eade's head doesn't actually know what Fantasia's job is.

Like we've discussed in other threads, there's been some strange list decisions in the past 2 years and Eade wasn't the final decision maker.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read a lot of criticism and frustration leveled at Eade, Smorgon and the players but nothing directed to the Football Operations Manager. How does Fantasia escape the same level of scrutiny?
    No doubt he has done some good things at the club but we have bungled a couple of trades since Clayton left and now we are having a bad run so surely Fantasia should be put under the microscope as well.
    In my opinion, the whole football department, management, coaches and leadership are at fault for Sundays performance. So Fantasia should be a big part of a review.

Post Thanks / Like

So what does he actually do?

Post Thanks / Like

The list is fine, the application has been inconsistent. I read last week we had won more quarters than anyone, and just been smashed in lapses. Eade hasn't got the players following instructions. The list is not that different to last year, its underachieving this season.

I'm not calling for Eade's head, but he and the players have a job ahead of them.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I have considerable support for the main thrust of this thread and I would expect a thorough review of the Football Department to occur at season's end, but I don't think that recruiting is responsible for recent performances.

It might not help in seasons to come, but for now we need to look closer to the coal face.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    So what does he actually do?
    I was thinking the same thing. Is he responsible for hiring the assistants or does he leave that to Rocket? Does he have the final say at the MC meetings?

I know for a fact that in recruitment, Rocket doesn't have a lot to do with it. He will indicate the type of players he feels he needs, and the recruiters will come back with a list. Rocket may go through a few tapes and give his input and opinion but has to rely on the recruiters assessment on the player. But things like list management, salary cap contract negotiation is down to Fantasia.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    I have considerable support for the main thrust of this thread and I would expect a thorough review of the Football Department to occur at season's end, but I don't think that recruiting is responsible for recent performances.

It might not help in seasons to come, but for now we need to look closer to the coal face.
    Neither do I. From my perspective, Eade's boss has been under performing and I believe the example of two trades periods where Dalrymple didn't quite nail the agreements is a direct reflection on Fantasia's management. Surely someone who comes from a recruiting background like Fantasia did hasn't lost the art of dotting the i's on trades.

He's been getting an easy passage as far as I am concerned.

Lets hope any review of the footy department is independent to Fantasia's position.