Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Eade keen to stay a Dog

By Jennifer Witham

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade says he wants to extend his career at Whitten Oval beyond 2011, even if the goal of making the final eight isn't achieved this year.

Eade, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has pledged his commitment to the club and says he wants to be part of next year and beyond even if the Dogs miss the finals for the first time since 2007.

"That's what I want to do. I love coaching and there are some terrific people here but we'll have to wait and see," he told The Footy Show on Thursday night.

"There's high expectations and certainly this organisation, we want success and we're driven by success.

"At this stage, we're still striving to make the eight and that's what we want to do, and that's our whole focus.

"If we don't do that, I think as a coach, you get assessed on a whole range of things about developing lists, etcetera etcetera, and there can be extenuating circumstances.

"Certainly from my point of view, our focus is on the end of the year and if we don't make the finals, hopefully they know I'm here for the long haul, I want to be here, I've got belief in the club and belief in the list.

"The past two examples show we've been able to build lists and I think we can build this list pretty quickly."

Eade entered the season under pressure with president David Smorgon stating the Dogs needed to progress beyond the preliminary final hurdle, which they've fallen at over the past three years.

He also indicated a contract extension for Eade would be hard to come by if the club missed the eight altogether.

Eade said he still felt the support of both Smorgon and CEO Simon Garlick, and was confident they knew of his commitment to the club beyond this season.

"I think there's some smart and intelligent people who are good support at the moment. David [Smorgon] and Simon are terrific," he said.

"Those things are down the track but certainly from my point of view, I've got strong belief in the club."

The Bulldogs had a tough week following their humiliating 123-point loss to West Coast at Patersons Stadium on Sunday, which included a ferocious contested training session on Tuesday.

Eade admitted the club had been "embarrassed" by the landslide result and that the mantra this week had been focussed on "less talk" and more action.

"As a club we are [embarrassed]. It's across the board, right from the top right down to the boot-studder," he said.

"We're all involved together and I think we've all got to take some responsibility for it and we have to do something about it."

The Bulldogs now face Hawthorn on Sunday evening at Etihad Stadium, with the Hawks looking to win their fourth straight game.

The Dogs are looking to arrest their disappointing slide into 11th position, having won just one game from their past five starts.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eade keen to stay a Dog

I would give Rocket a two year contract now, plus I would hire an assistant that he must mentor to take over. Of course he has to agree with this. The assistant must be someone that has played in a grandfinal over the past 10 years and has been working as an assistant currently.

That rules out anyone like Leon, West etc.

If we do this it will stabilise us for the rest of the season and it will be about the time to make a change anyway, plus the advatange is you know who will be the coach for the next say 5 years. The other advanatge is the mentoring and education from a coach who has coached over 300 games with a good win loss ratio.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to read this on 2 fronts
    1. He wants to stay.
    2.The players obviously dont feel his time is over.

When I look at the new players Eade is bringing into the seniors, is this a rebuild year for another assault in the next couple of years?
    My worry is still how did last week happen and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    My worry is still how did last week happen and why?
    Not just last week. How did we let Collingwood kick 8 straight when we were level with them at the 10 minute mark of the last quarter. How did Essendon beat us by 71 points?

Why didn't we beat Freo and Sydney.

Lots of questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would give Rocket a two year contract now, plus I would hire an assistant that he must mentor to take over. Of course he has to agree with this. The assistant must be someone that has played in a grandfinal over the past 10 years and has been working as an assistant currently.
    I absolutely hate this model for appointing a new coach and can't see what benefit it will give either party.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I absolutely hate this model for appointing a new coach and can't see what benefit it will give either party.
    What model do you like, untried new coach or proven current coach?

Post Thanks / Like

What model do you like, untried new coach or proven current coach?
    It's really up to the decision makers to determine what's the best fit for the group they are hiring for.

Time has shown that a proven coach works best with a mature group whereas a young coach can grow with a developing group.

Where our list is at the end of this year is anyone's guess so the picture isn't all that clear at the minute.

Post Thanks / Like

PLEASE sign him.

Post Thanks / Like

By Jennifer Witham

Rodney Eade says he wants to extend his career at Whitten Oval beyond 2011, even if the goal of making the final eight isn't achieved this year.
    WTF?
    Goal to make the final eight?
    That might be the goal now, but when the hell was just making the eight the goal for this year?????
    I thought Top 4s and premierships were bantered around in the pre-season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    WTF?
    Goal to make the final eight?
    That might be the goal now, but when the hell was just making the eight the goal for this year?????
    I thought Top 4s and premierships were bantered around in the pre-season?
    I think at this point in time he has conceded that it's might be a hard slog to the finals, I wouldn't be surprised that we may see a few different players tired to see were our list is at. I'd be happy for Rocket to go around again.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

If we do this it will stabilise us for the rest of the season and it will be about the time to make a change anyway, plus the advatange is you know who will be the coach for the next say 5 years. The other advanatge is the mentoring and education from a coach who has coached over 300 games with a good win loss ratio.
    As much as I believe it is wrong to give him the flick mid season it is extremely short sighted to offer Rocket a contract extension based on what we have seen this season. I know you can see no wrong with Rocket and that he has your unequivocal support no matter what but it actually defies any real logic B-A-D to sign him up.

Let him go through the normal process at the end of the season and if he is still judged the best person then he of course would have my full support but unless he makes the 8 then a professional search must be conducted.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

That would be playing with fire IMO. What if we keep having the same results as Sunday?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As much as I believe it is wrong to give him the flick mid season it is extremely short sighted to offer Rocket a contract extension based on what we have seen this season. I know you can see no wrong with Rocket and that he has your unequivocal support no matter what but it actually defies any real logic B-A-D to sign him up.

Let him go through the normal process at the end of the season and if he is still judged the best person then he of course would have my full support but unless he makes the 8 then a professional search must be conducted.
    represents my view pretty much
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know you can see no wrong with Rocket and that he has your unequivocal support no matter what but it actually defies any real logic B-A-D to sign him up. .
    No your wrong there. I just don't criticize coaches to the extent that others do because I don't know the reasons for decisions on player selection etc. I do express my opinion on some things like round one I thought the ruck combination was incorrect and there are other bits and pieces, but generally I say little about the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    That would be playing with fire IMO. What if we keep having the same results as Sunday?
    Fair enough, I was just proposing a model that may work for us.

Post Thanks / Like

No your wrong there. I just don't criticize coaches to the extent that others do because I don't know the reasons for decisions on player selection etc. I do express my opinion on some things like round one I thought the ruck combination was incorrect and there are other bits and pieces, but generally I say little about the coach.
    I still can't see the logic in your proposal that he should be signed up now for 2 more years. At what point would your unwavering support potentially start to place more conditions on his re-appointment?

My preference is to work through whatever challenges we have to get this team back on track and have Eade re-signed again but in a contract year for the coach and with the team under performing we just can't ignore the need to explore our options.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"