Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett Jnr is a superior footballer to his father Ablett Snr: Malcolm Blight

HOw do you define great? Is great the ability to perform consistently at a high level over a long period of time? Or is great the ability to do the freakishly amazing things consistently?

Junior is a great player. But I wouldn't pay to go to the footy just to watch him play. I would though pay just to see Gary Ablett Snr play. His ability to do the amazing - things his peers couldn't do - consistently makes him a true great of the game. He didn't need to play 350 games to be a great.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett Jnr is a superior footballer to his father Ablett Snr: Malcolm Blight

Snr played in a different time, and was a different footballer. Again, an unhelpful but natural comparison between eras.

Jnr is a great of the game, and played a lot of his best footy off Broadway.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Top 5 but his Dad is still the best. I'm biased though I saw a lot of Snr live living opposite KP in the early 90s.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a really hard question. I think Jnr has had the better career overall, but line them up in the playground....there's probably nobody that I've seen that you'd pick before Snr....maybe Carey - but there's a whisker between them.

I'd have both Ablett's, Carey and Lockett as my best 4 players ever, and my order probably depends on what day you catch me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Its a really hard question. I think Jnr has had the better career overall, but line them up in the playground....there's probably nobody that I've seen that you'd pick before Snr....maybe Carey - but there's a whisker between them.

I'd have both Ablett's, Carey and Lockett as my best 4 players ever, and my order probably depends on what day you catch me!
    I'd have Ablett sr first but Templeton ahead of any of the others. I don't rate Ablett jr as highly as almost anyone else does. He's good but he's not in my top 10.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Individually Ablett snr was a more brilliant player but Ablett jnr was a better team player. Ablett jnr played in a Premiership and won 2 Brownlow Medals which his Father was unable to achieve.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Templeton 1978-1980 seasons as the best I've ever seen.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

I didn't see Matthews play aside from when I was about five or six and he tore our hearts out in a preliminary final, but being too young to think too much about anything other than little league and my next meat pie I don't remember much of it!

My list is pretty much the same as yours given that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'd have Ablett sr first but Templeton ahead of any of the others. I don't rate Ablett jr as highly as almost anyone else does. He's good but he's not in my top 10.
    I'm so surprised to read that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I didn't see Matthews play aside from when I was about five or six and he tore our hearts out in a preliminary final, but being too young to think too much about anything other than little league and my next meat pie I don't remember much of it!

My list is pretty much the same as yours given that.
    Leigh Matthews must have been phenomenal if he is regarded as (arguably) the best ever. Retired when I was 2 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

More surprised by that or there is a contract thread? Or that TD knows a thing or two about teaching how to kick at goal?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

24 shots at goal in one game. Kicked 6 on debut as a 17 yo. 118 goals in a team that wins 7 games and finishes 2nd last. 91 goals off the back of no preseason at all in 1979, 2 Colemans, a Brownlow. His career effectively over at the age of 23.

How can a player have a better career than that when he's robbed of the best 7 years then that? Wayne who? Oh Carey? Saw them both play, KT was twice the player. Without the injury and if he'd played the same amount of years that Ablett did he would have kicked 2000 goals and won 5 Brownlows.

16. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    24 shots at goal in one game. 118 goals in a team that wins 7 games and finishes 2nd last. 91 goals off the back of no preseason at all in 1979, 2 Colemans, a Brownlow. His career effectively over at the age of 23.

How can a player have a better career than that when he's robbed of the best 7 years then that? Wayne who? Oh Carey? Saw them both play, KT was twice the player. Without the injury and if he'd played the same amount of years that Ablett did he would have kicked 2000 goals and won 5 Brownlows.
    He was unbelievable
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    More surprised by that or there is a contract thread? Or that TD knows a thing or two about teaching how to kick at goal?
    I'm unsure. Just flat out flabbergasted. So flabbergasted that the gut Jake Stringer's running around with after four weeks of footy seems normal to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He was unbelievable
    Sure was.