Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett Jnr is a superior footballer to his father Ablett Snr: Malcolm Blight

Quote Originally Posted by hughy31 View Post
    Better wait on that
    Why? because Jobe won an umpires award?
    I'd still take Watson Snr over Jnr any day of the week.
    As for Ablett Snr over Jnr.... yep just on pure football freakish ability.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 25-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett Jnr is a superior footballer to his father Ablett Snr: Malcolm Blight

I think Jnr is one of the best midfielders I have ever seen, the kid is a freak.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Either would have been great in a Doggies jumper.
    Ablett Snr was more of a match winner and a lot of the x-factor but he certainatly wouldn't hold up under todays professionalism,
    Ablett jnr seems to be a better leader and plays a more consistant brand of footy.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I know which highlights package would be more exciting to watch, seniors!
    Perhaps my reasoning is due to the fact I have a copy on DVD of Seniors 1993 season where he kicked 124 goals for memory.
    It's great to bring out at a party and having it playing in the background whilst playing pool or having a chat.
    I wish I could replace it with a DVD of a bulldogs premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Having a Geelong supporting dad I got to see both play a heap. I would have Senior in front as the better player. His 89 final series was pretty phenomenal.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

If your looking for a player to drag you over the line week in week out with his all game input and hardworking it's junior.

If your looking for a player to do incredibly freakish things to get you through a game it's senior.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Its not a fair comparison as football is not the same as it was 20 odd years ago.. The standard is alot higher now and alot faster.. Because of this JNR would be a better all round player

Both guns though and it shouldnt even be a talking point as they are 2 different types of players with 2 different roles..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Its not a fair comparison as football is not the same as it was 20 odd years ago.. The standard is alot higher now and alot faster.. Because of this JNR would be a better all round player

Both guns though and it shouldnt even be a talking point as they are 2 different types of players with 2 different roles..
    If we made this a rule, Woof would be a very baren site..
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine Gary snr one out in the goal square with today's rules. He would kill them.

Post Thanks / Like

Both Champions, snr more spectacular, jnr more consistent, both play different positions and styles so how do you compare? Snr was certainly alot dirtier! Just ask Rohan Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Snr for me. On the basis that he dominated as all types of forward positions in his time, and that I know if he was trained and coached (though, possibly he was uncoachable in some respects) to play as modern players are he'd be head and shoulders above the competition.

Mid-size forward is the hardest area on the ground to dominate and senior did it very very well. I'm sure Jnr could do it very well, but with a midfield dedicated to protecting you, you really should dominate if you have Jnr's ability.

It's always hard comparing players of different eras because the game has changed so much in the last 15 years or so. For mine, I look at talent versus impact on a game, and with that I choose Snr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Imagine Gary snr one out in the goal square with today's rules. He would kill them.
    I think these comments are just plain wrong.

Gary sr was a master of using his hands in the back, as were many of the past great forwards, not so sure he'd enjoy the rules.
    Not to mention, he'd get suspended every second week with the physicality he played with.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

Gold Coast champion Gary Ablett is set to draw level with his dad on 248 games

Junior really is a champ and fast approaching 250 games and still going strong. 49 disposals versus Collingwood shows how good he is.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And some great old footage of Snr's career highlights on Footy Flashbacks this afternoon. Forgot how muddy the grounds used to be at times!

Post Thanks / Like

Both snr and jnr are Champions of our great game. Gary Ablett senior was a brilliant spectacular individual, who probably lacked the endurance of his brilliant son, who can run all day. I believe the son was a better team player and it was those qualities that brought him ultimate success with the Cats. This same success was denied Gary senior who played in equally strong teams at Geelong. Gary senior had more foibles and was engaged in many doubtful incidents in his career. Gary junior was a far more disciplined footballer. The senior coaches during Gary senior's time had huge problems with his carefree attitude to training which suggested the approach of an individual rather than a team approach.
    Both have been gifted with incredible abilities but if I had to make a choice difficult as it is I would opt for junior.