Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett Jnr is a superior footballer to his father Ablett Snr: Malcolm Blight

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bump

Gold Coast champion Gary Ablett is set to draw level with his dad on 248 games

Junior really is a champ and fast approaching 250 games and still going strong. 49 disposals versus Collingwood shows how good he is.
    Only 29 this year as well. Would surely have at least 2 or 3 years left in him, which would take him to 300, especially given GC will surely be playing finals in 2 years if not next year.

After his extraordinary performance against Geelong his case grows stronger and stronger all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Ablett Jnr is a superior footballer to his father Ablett Snr: Malcolm Blight

I was thinking with the Operation Get Tom Boyd, we should go after Gary Ablett Jnr Jnr, NOW,

1. Recruit Jnr when he retires from GCS, giving him a five year multi million dollar deal
    2. Name Jnr as the sub for all 110 games - he doesn't even need to turn up, just qualify for F/S
    3. After his 5 seasons, sign him as senior coach for 15 years, on massive dollars
    4. When his boys are making decisions on where to play, they choose WBFC to play under their dad
    5. Reap the rewards
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was thinking with the Operation Get Tom Boyd, we should go after Gary Ablett Jnr Jnr, NOW,

1. Recruit Jnr when he retires from GCS, giving him a five year multi million dollar deal
    2. Name Jnr as the sub for all 110 games - he doesn't even need to turn up, just qualify for F/S
    3. After his 5 seasons, sign him as senior coach for 15 years, on massive dollars
    4. When his boys are making decisions on where to play, they choose WBFC to play under their dad
    5. Reap the rewards
    Unfortunately he's not in our target age bracket

Points for the lateral thinking though.

Post Thanks / Like

Part of Senior's superiority is the aura that was built around him.
    His gifts were universally idolised.
    Not so Junior's.
    The mythology of Senior will last forever and will be stronger than Junior's will ever be.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The irony of Malcolm Blight asking this question is that Blight is the player who's skill set was closest to Gary Ablett sr's.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping that Gary Junior finishes the last couple of years predominently as a forward - and kicks bags of goals. Could you imagine if footy these days enabled him to have the whole 50m arc to himself against his direct opponent only? He would kick a goal every single time the ball went in there!

Gary Ablett Snr is probably the best player I've seen - but I'm now starting to think his son will finish his career as the better player. He might already be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm hoping that Gary Junior finishes the last couple of years predominently as a forward - and kicks bags of goals. Could you imagine if footy these days enabled him to have the whole 50m arc to himself against his direct opponent only? He would kick a goal every single time the ball went in there!

Gary Ablett Snr is probably the best player I've seen - but I'm now starting to think his son will finish his career as the better player. He might already be there.
    His goal sense certainly matches his old man's, that's for sure. If he's inside the 50, irrespective of which way he's facing, he knows where the goals are, and rarely misses them.

Post Thanks / Like

Think of it this way: Is Junior in the running for eventual Legend status? Because if not for the off-field crap, youd think Senior would have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Think of it this way: Is Junior in the running for eventual Legend status? Because if not for the off-field crap, youd think Senior would have it.
    He'll be in the Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible and would surely tick all the boxes for Legend Status, would simply have to wait his turn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    "Crap"
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    "Crap"

Crap with a capital C? Why would that be? It's not a proper noun.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Just another lazy 40+ touches (15 contested) and 2 goals straight.

Freak. Serious freak.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Just another lazy 40+ touches (15 contested) and 2 goals straight.

Freak. Serious freak.
    And 3 Brownlow votes to start the season.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what else Gary has to do to be more widely regarded as better than his father?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    I don't know what else Gary has to do to be more widely regarded as better than his father?
    I think he is better than his father.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.