Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Hill at the crossroads

Needs to lift his chin up; may already find himself on the way out.
    A young man in bad need of confidence.
    A new club may invigorate him, if we can't manage it.
    The frustrating thing is, not the first time he's done this during a loss.
    Hope he can turn it into a learning experience, but may not be given another chance...
    Moving foward Josh.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226069728948

Josh Hill's inconsistent career at the Western Bulldogs has hit a new low after a lame attempt to stand the mark in the final minutes of the club's 61-point loss to Geelong on Saturday.

Hill faces the axe for Friday's clash with St Kilda and may struggle to play another game at the club after the incident, highlighted by Dogs legend Chris Grant.

Outmarked by Daniel Menzel, Hill then half-raised one arm on the mark and partly turned away as the young Cat kicked for goal, killing off any chance of smothering the set shot.

Grant told ABC radio that Hill should never play for the club again.

"He spat the dummy. He's ... actually walked away from the mark as Menzel was coming in," Grant said.

"He could have smothered the ball. Disgraceful effort.

"Robert Murphy's come over to him and said, 'What are you doing?' They've actually looked at Josh Hill and said, 'Do you want to play AFL football? I don't think you do'."
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Hill at the crossroads

Does anyone know if Josh will be contracted at the end of this season?

Would rather GWS taking Josh Hole than Callan Ward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post

He's out of contract after this season. Yes GWS are welcome to him as far as I'm concerned. He's been given so many chances and continues to disappoint.

Permanent VFL spot for the remainder of 2011. Let someone else who wants to play AFL football his spot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post

Now all we have to do is convince Kevin Sheedy and Gubby Allen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Now all we have to do is convince Kevin Sheedy and Gubby Allen
    Sheedy loves a project, sell it to him that way.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not an easy crossover to Melbourne for many in the west, let alone indig kids. He has a young family too. Josh, if you read this mate, just enjoy your footy, work hard , and keep your chin up. Never give in. Get a bit of dog spirit in you mate.

It's very easy to pot a player but we're all armchair coaches. Just to play devil's advo, How much blame can we give the club for not facilitating and encouraging him in the right way? It's never 100% someone's fault they don't succeed at a club, when clearly the talent is there. What other factors are there in this, we will not know.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    It's not an easy crossover to Melbourne for many in the west, let alone indig kids. He has a young family too. Josh, if you read this mate, just enjoy your footy, work hard , and keep your chin up. Never give in. Get a bit of dog spirit in you mate.

It's very easy to pot a player but we're all armchair coaches. Just to play devil's advo, How much blame can we give the club for not facilitating and encouraging him in the right way? It's never 100% someone's fault they don't succeed at a club, when clearly the talent is there. What other factors are there in this, we will not know.
    Maybe old fashion work ethic might help, youth of today want everything handed on a platter without earning it. I see so many examples of this at work. God I sound like my old man.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Maybe old fashion work ethic might help, youth of today want everything handed on a platter without earning it. I see so many examples of this at work. God I sound like my old man.
    My point exactly.

A. Younger generation needs instant feedback these days.
    B. Don't respond well to sprays and tend to sulk. As much as we hate it, and seems a chore, have to be encouraged encouraged and then some and demand more patience, something Rocket may or may not be good at, I suspect not.
    C. Hear from Tradesmen all the time, alot of apprentices are useless until they are 22+.
    Has to be more work done to build up their mental toughness and perhaps the NZ camp thing might have to be done more often, I dunno.

I know exactly what you are saying Hotdog and I'm talking more as a teacher, without any clue about coaching footy, but perhaps the mechanisms need to be in place to help toughen certain young players up in a way that didn't need to be done in Rocket's generation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Josh Hill at the crossroads

My point exactly.

A. Younger generation needs instant feedback these days.
    B. Don't respond well to sprays and tend to sulk. As much as we hate it, and seems a chore, have to be encouraged encouraged and then some and demand more patience, something Rocket may or may not be good at, I suspect not.
    C. Hear from Tradesmen all the time, alot of apprentices are useless until they are 22+.
    Has to be more work done to build up their mental toughness and perhaps the NZ camp thing might have to be done more often, I dunno.

I know exactly what you are saying Hotdog and I'm talking more as a teacher, without any clue about coaching footy, but perhaps the mechanisms need to be in place to help toughen certain young players up in a way that didn't need to be done in Rocket's generation.
    Whilst I agree to a certain degree, at this level you shouldn't have to teach heart, pride and respect for the fact you are being given a place at the elite level. I lived in Darwin for many years and gained a strong insight into the challenges our indigenous players face when brought down from the communities. The thing is this club has done everything it can to mitigate that with a liason manager to help settle the remote players. I don't see the same weak spririt from D.J who comes from a community near Gove, Liam Jones has a damn decent crack and is learning fast and then there is Stack who has no-where near Hill's natural talent IMO but is probably on-par with Hill footy wise ATM and has now probably gone ahead. I don't think this is a relocation thing.

Likewise, these young blokes in Jones, Libba, Wallis, DJ etc are all copping the same blasts from Eade that the rest of the guys are and they still manage to have a crack so he doesn't get a pass from me for being Generation Y.

This is a JOSH HILL issue that relates to Josh Hill showing utter, spineless disregard for the opportunity to pull on our jumper.

If we were not embarrassed about the season before, Hill single-handedly turned our jumper into a Joke in front of the Geelong crowd and players. We shouldn't stand for it, we can't stand for it and the person committing this gutless act has to go. I'm very angry with Hill for what he made this club look like on the weekend and I have never been this frustrated with a player in 39 years. I feel so sorry for those of you who made it to Kardinia Park (Skilled whatever).
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 07-06-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: spelling and request to moderate :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Sheedy loves a project, sell it to him that way.
    Sheedy won't be the only suitor given Fantasia said during last seasons trade period that others said he's a top 20 draft pick and he agreed with them.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    If we were not embaressed about the season before, Hill single-handedly turned our jumper into a Joke in front of the Geelong crowd and players. We shouldn't stand for it, we can't stand for it and the gutless wonder has to go. I hate Hill for what he made this club look like on the weekend and I have never hated a player wearing this jumper in 39 years. I feel so sorry for those of you who made it to Kardinia Park (Skilled whatever).
    Wow, don't hold back.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 07-06-2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: quote fixed
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing Personal But Josh is finished at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I agree to a certain degree, at this level you shouldn't have to teach heart, pride and respect for the fact you are being given a place at the elite level. I lived in Darwin for many years and gained a strong insight into the challenges our indigenous players face when brought down from the communities. The thing is this club has done everything is can to mitigate that with a liason manager to help settle the remoter players. I don't see the same weak spririt from D.J who comes from a community near Gove, Liam Jones has a damn decent crack and is learning fast and then there is Stack who has no-where near Hill's natural talent IMO but is probably on-par with Hill footy wise ATM and has now probably gone ahead. I don't think this is a relocation thing.

Likewise, these young blokes in Jones, Libba, Wallis, DJ etc are all copping the same blasts from Eade that the rest of the guys are and they still manage to have a crack so he doesn't get a pass from me for being Generation Y.

This is a JOSH HILL issue that relates to Josh Hill showing utter, spineless disregard for the opportunity to pull on our jumper.

If we were not embaressed about the season before, Hill single-handedly turned our jumper into a Joke in front of the Geelong crowd and players. We shouldn't stand for it, we can't stand for it and the gutless wonder has to go. I hate Hill for what he made this club look like on the weekend and I have never hated a player wearing this jumper in 39 years. I feel so sorry for those of you who made it to Kardinia Park (Skilled whatever).
    Well, if Josh reads this thread, he gains an insight into how passionate Bulldogs supporters can be. Welcome to the AFL.
    The last few sentences a bit emotional but, there you have it. People get pretty tribal with the jumper and what it represents, always ready to sniff out anyone who lets it down.
    I guess I try to make a post imagining the person might read it. Tough but fair. He's given his knockers a lot of ammo.

respect the fact you've lived in Darwin.
    Sounds like for many supporters, it's a done deal.
    Especially with those simple things like standing properly on the mark. I mean that's U13s stuff.
    His body language is saying ' I want out'
    Last edited by GVGjr; 07-06-2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: quote fixed

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if Josh reads this thread, he gains an insight into how passionate Bulldogs supporters can be. Welcome to the AFL.
    The last few sentences a bit emotional but, there you have it. People get pretty tribal with the jumper and what it represents, always ready to sniff out anyone who lets it down.
    I guess I try to make a post imagining the person might read it. Tough but fair. He's given his knockers a lot of ammo.

respect the fact you've lived in Darwin.
    Sounds like for many supporters, it's a done deal.
    Especially with those simple things like standing properly on the mark. I mean that's U13s stuff.
    His body language is saying ' I want out'
    Yeah, may have gone slightly over but I'm done with him. I got more and more frustrated as I was writing with a recurring image of Hill turning away from the mark...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, may have gone slightly over but I'm done with him. I got more and more frustrated as I was writing with a recurring image of Hill turning away from the mark...
    He needs to be dropped, but not for just one week. He has to go back to Willi, and really show he wants to play senior footy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.