Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Doubts over Lake future

Matt Windley - Herald Sun - 7 June

IT IS too early in the year to say whether Brian Lake will be at the Western Bulldogs next year, says manager Ricky Olarenshaw.

Responding to reports that rival clubs were maneuvering themselves to make a play for Lake at the end of the season, Olarenshaw - the head of Essentially Group which looks after Lake - could not definitively say if the 29-year-old would remain at the Whitten Oval, despite a contract with the Dogs until the end of 2013.

"It’s way too early to make that call," Olarenshaw said today.

"Players want to stay at the club they’re at."

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doubts over Lake future

I hope he isnt asking for more money

Post Thanks / Like

Some of this interview on SEN with Watson this morning rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps I'm over-reacting, though I felt Ricky spoke 'out of school' about Brian.

Anyone else hear it?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Jay Clark at the Herald Sun has tweeted that 2 Melbourne based clubs & GWS are right into him. Thinks the clubs with salary cap room are Ess & Rich.

He reckons the compensation would be a first round pick. That would be applicacble if he was uncontracted, but the fact he's contracted takes the 'compensation' issue out of the equation & it becomes more about what deal could be agreed to via the trade process.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Some of this interview on SEN with Watson this morning rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps I'm over-reacting, though I felt Ricky spoke 'out of school' about Brian.

Anyone else hear it?
    i heard it. Whether Ricky spoke out of turn - really depends on what is going on with Brian. If Brian really is having issues with Rocket and the Club - then its probably not surprising that he would be hinting at it.

Personally, I've been over Brian since he made us beg at the last contract negotiation. he's been a great player the last few years - but something is clearly not right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    i heard it. Whether Ricky spoke out of turn - really depends on what is going on with Brian. If Brian really is having issues with Rocket and the Club - then its probably not surprising that he would be hinting at it.

Personally, I've been over Brian since he made us beg at the last contract negotiation. he's been a great player the last few years - but something is clearly not right.
    I was all over Brian then -- he had his defenders, but he put us through the wringer and did not behave anywhere near what is needed from a team leader (and I don't care if he's on the leadership group or not, he's definitely a team leader). Can anyone imagine Scarlett or Fletcher giving their club as much grief over contract negotiations?

If anyone wants him I say they can have him for one high 1st round pick (top 5) and a rookie tall on their list, or two middle to late 1st round picks and that rookie tall. This guy is the AA full-back, they don't come cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake is 29yo coming off 3 operations. If we were to trade him, a 1st round pick would be about right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Lake is 29yo coming off 3 operations. If we were to trade him, a 1st round pick would be about right.
    (Yeah, but you don't start the negotiations there...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

Anyone else hear it?
    I heard it as well and like you thought maybe I was over reacting. The bit about Brian having some issues with Rocket really got to me. Then I remembered how bad Olarenshaw was with Brian's contract talks.
    If there is any truth in it, I would be really angry with Brian, the club is his employer and he is payed very well by his employer. I hated my bosses guts, but still did my job to the best of my ability. Let's hope we are over reacting !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldBulldog View Post
    I heard it as well and like you thought maybe I was over reacting. The bit about Brian having some issues with Rocket really got to me. Then I remembered how bad Olarenshaw was with Brian's contract talks.
    If there is any truth in it, I would be really angry with Brian, the club is his employer and he is payed very well by his employer. I hated my bosses guts, but still did my job to the best of my ability. Let's hope we are over reacting !
    Ricky is Brian's agent. That means that Brian is his boss. Ie. He works for Brian. Ie. He wouldn't be saying stuff that Brian isn't happy with. Ie. You can bet your bottom dollar that Ricky and Brian have discussed his future and they're just putting the feelers out early.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    (Yeah, but you don't start the negotiations there...)
    No, you start it at All Australian, most marks in the AFL in 2010. We rate him so highly we offered him 3 years in 2010 blah blah blah.
    Any chance we can get the next Jonathon Brown in Paton for him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Ricky is Brian's agent. That means that Brian is his boss. Ie. He works for Brian. Ie. He wouldn't be saying stuff that Brian isn't happy with. Ie. You can bet your bottom dollar that Ricky and Brian have discussed his future and they're just putting the feelers out early.
    Very true. As much as plenty will jump on and just say "Ricky Olarenshaw is just a flog"...the way he was non-committal with his answers, I think, was intentional. He didn't really say a great deal that could be taken to task - but said enough for us all to read between the lines - or put the feelers out as you put it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    No, you start it at All Australian, most marks in the AFL in 2010. We rate him so highly we offered him 3 years in 2010 blah blah blah.
    Any chance we can get the next Jonathon Brown in Paton for him?

He may be 29 and coming off 3 off-season operations, but he is worth far more than only 1 first round draft pick

Scarlett is 32 and still in great form, Fletcher is 34/35?

Brian has MANY decent seasons left in him

I would expect the following as compensation

1) 1 Top 5 draft pick
    2) 1 half decent established player <25 years old (with < 75 games experience)
    3) Our 1st or 2nd round pick to be upgraded
    4) A rookie (16/17 year old from GWS / Gold Coast)

I wonder what Brian is sulking about?

The guy is our highest paid player for FS, doesnt have the added pressure of being in the leadership group, has only played a handful of games this year- badly at that.

If he is going to cause trouble for the football department, and get away with things that others players wouldnt and if the problems are ongoing and unsolveable (eg relate to Brian's personality) then ship him to GWS if thats what he wants & lets get something while he still has some currency....

Post Thanks / Like

Top 10 draft pick would be a great deal for us.

Off load Hill and a few others ( Minson GWS) and go into the draft with a heap of picks.

Lake will be too old when we start to rise up the ladder again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    He may be 29 and coming off 3 off-season operations, but he is worth far more than only 1 first round draft pick

Scarlett is 32 and still in great form, Fletcher is 34/35?

Brian has MANY decent seasons left in him

I would expect the following as compensation

1) 1 Top 5 draft pick
    2) 1 half decent established player <25 years old (with < 75 games experience)
    3) Our 1st or 2nd round pick to be upgraded
    4) A rookie (16/17 year old from GWS / Gold Coast)

I wonder what Brian is sulking about?

The guy is our highest paid player for FS, doesnt have the added pressure of being in the leadership group, has only played a handful of games this year- badly at that.

If he is going to cause trouble for the football department, and get away with things that others players wouldnt and if the problems are ongoing and unsolveable (eg relate to Brian's personality) then ship him to GWS if thats what he wants & lets get something while he still has some currency....
    Can I suggest you look at what WCE got for the arguably best player in the comp in Judd then work your way down from there.