Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    I really like Ward.
    But if this is true and he doesn't go then I think he is a moron.
    There are things in life bigger than football, and setting himself and his family up in life is one of those things. If we were arguing over 50k or so then fair enough, hassel the young man about loyalty etc. but 400k a year! Come on. He is going to be good, but he isn't going to be Garry Ablett or Chris Judd, no one else will offer him the kind of money GWS are throwing around.
    If he leaves there will be no ill felling towards him from me.............
    The AFL and GWS.....probably.
    I'm not so sure really. People make decisions for all kinds or reasons and to be close to family is really important for some people. As you say, if we lose him, no ill feelings. It's a wad of cash and then some
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I think he should go, take the money, then come back. Hahahahah I wish.

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon Dimma, if you really want to help the club do what Carlton did with Judd.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    I really like Ward.
    But if this is true and he doesn't go then I think he is a moron.
    There are things in life bigger than football, and setting himself and his family up in life is one of those things. If we were arguing over 50k or so then fair enough, hassel the young man about loyalty etc. but 400k a year! Come on. He is going to be good, but he isn't going to be Garry Ablett or Chris Judd, no one else will offer him the kind of money GWS are throwing around.
    If he leaves there will be no ill felling towards him from me.............
    The AFL and GWS.....probably.

The opposing view is there is more to life than money. There are alot of unhappy rich people out there. Core values and family are what really matters in life.

If he was going from 100k to 400k like Mumford you could not deny the merits in his decision. If we are talking 350k versus 750k then it is a different kettle of fish. He will be independantly wealthy regardless. How many yachts can you waterski behind..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post

If he was going from 100k to 400k like Mumford you could not deny the merits in his decision. If we are talking 350k versus 750k then it is a different kettle of fish. He will be independantly wealthy regardless. How many yachts can you waterski behind..........
    Yeah...in the second example, the 'KETTLE' is bigger!

And I don't think too many footballers - how ever well they get paid - are skiing behind a yacht. Independently wealthy? I don't think so. If he does a knee mid-contract this might be the only pay-day in his life...and it is not as if Callan is the latest Tim Callan who is only playing footy whilst waiting for his corporate life to get going - this is his best chance in LIFE.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Dustin Martin and Andrew Swallow were both offered similarly 'stupid' money by GWS but they had little hesitation in staying at their current clubs. Money is not the sole determinant in retaining players. Ward thoroughly deserves a pay rise, one that is commensurate with his improved performance and importance to our on-field future - that amount sure as hell isn't what has been bandied around in the paper today.
    No doubt he isn't worth $800k pa, but Martin & Swallow were reportedly offered contracts that were at least comparable with what GWS could offer, as both are either the best mid in their side, or one or two years away from it.

Ward isn't in our best 3 (when Cooney is fit) and it is doubtful he ever would be our best if he stayed.

I'd prefer him to stay but wont hold my breath. I hope we get better compo than we did losing Harbrow but I wont hold my breath for that either.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

How do those player salaries work tax wise? Tax on a $1 mill is about about $440,000. So maybe the cash-in-the-hand isn't going to be all that different. I know there are legal and illegal means to reduce the tax payable, but how much can he really get away with? Speaking to my accountants, having your employer buy you a house means the tax payable is the same as if you took the money cash, same with cars unless you high Km's and spend under $55k for a luxury car.

Speaking of what we can offer outside of $, 12-24 months ago, the lure to play in a premiership side was one thing we could offer players. Is that realistic now?

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Callan but what GWS has offered him (if true) is absolutely ridiculous. No other club in the AFL would offer him more than 350K At that far over the odds he would be hard pressed not to take it.

Post Thanks / Like

We today's Age article would suggest that Paul Connors has well and truly overplayed his hand!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1OnS1Rmmf