Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward

WESTERN Bulldog Callan Ward may have to sacrifice $2 million to remain loyal to his club, his manager Paul Connors says.
    Connors revealed the size of the carrots being thrown by Greater Western Sydney, conceding he could not yet guarantee star client Dale Thomas would re-sign at Collingwood.

Ward is out of contract and being pursued by GWS, with the Bulldogs unable to match its five-year deal.

Connors, one of the league's most influential agents, told Superfooty's Front & Square players such as clients Thomas, Ward and Brisbane's Daniel Rich were being offered once-in-a-career deals.

Asked if the difference was as much as $400,000 a season, Connors replied: "More. (Their offers) are outrageous.

"If Callan Ward does want to stay at the Dogs, and I hope he does, for guys like him the quantum is huge.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    Related CoverageNew deal: Player pay deal a long way off Video: Front and Square with Paul Connors
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    "(Ward) would love to stay, but no doubt I would have thought the GWS boys wouldn't mind him in their backyard either.

"I can't even believe we're debating that players probably will stay at their clubs even though there's a $500,000 per annum difference. It wouldn't happen in rugby league, but it happens in ... AFL."

Given GWS is prepared to offer Ward at least $800,000 a season, he could pass up more than $2 million in the next five years.

Thomas will probably stay at Collingwood, but Connors said the Giants were pushing hard.

"Dale has given an indication he would like to stay at Collingwood," Connors said.

"They are his instructions to me and I am currently negotiating slowly with Collingwood.

"Would GWS like Dale Thomas? I am sure they would like him on their list.

"It just gets down to that GWS has this pile of money.

"He wants to be at Collingwood, but until he's signed I can't guarantee anything."

Connors is certain Adelaide forward Taylor Walker has signed with the Giants and says he believed Fremantle midfielder Rhys Palmer would head to the AFL's 18th club.

"They seem pretty confident they have got a few, but we haven't heard the names bandied around like with Gold Coast," he said.

"Taylor Walker for mine is going. Rhys Palmer is another I would have some money on going."

Connors has signed the certain No. 1 draft pick for GWS this year in tall Melbourne marking forward Jonathan Patton, and said his potential showed glimpses of Jonathan Brown and Wayne Carey.

He hoped Rich and Matthew Leuenberger would stay at Brisbane, but said the final year of the club's payout to sacked forward Brendan Fevola meant the club's salary cap was tight.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward

Hopefully there's a bit of the manager talking up/exaggerating their offer to get a better deal for his client but the awful truth for us is that they are offering Ward far, far more money.

Post Thanks / Like

If this guy stays, he deserves a parade.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I think Callan's a really good young footballer, but not at that sort of money!
    The land of the burnt out car and where they perceive AFL as a fairies game.
    Not exactly appealing

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! How can we compete with that?

Post Thanks / Like

He is not worth that.

We should get extra compensation because we have lost 2 up-and-coming players. Harbrow and Ward.

We should be ruthless and off load Minson, Hill, Gilbee and maybe Cross to free up cash.

Post Thanks / Like

We could try and get Malthouse in the hope that Callan will stay with us. Not a good time to have an ordinary season (if there is ever a good time)

Post Thanks / Like

Ward doesn't strike me as the type of player that will ever command that sort of money during his playing career. He'd be crazy not to take it. Although if he stays he'd become a club great.

Post Thanks / Like

If we get malthouse, 100-1 I believe, we won't have any money to keep Ward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    If we get malthouse, 100-1 I believe, we won't have any money to keep Ward.
    That may be true, however he would not want to price himself out. That said, I think we would have competition for his services in Melbourne, Adelaide & St Kilda

Post Thanks / Like

The issue with all this extra pay in the market is that the players price becomes inflated just by linking them to GWS. We end up paying over the odds to keep him which affects our whole list.
    I think we offer him what he's worth. Hate these new franchises!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The issue with all this extra pay in the market is that the players price becomes inflated just by linking them to GWS. We end up paying over the odds to keep him which affects our whole list.
    I think we offer him what he's worth. Hate these new franchises!
    Get used to it, Free Agency is just around the corner.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Take the money Cal.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to set yourself up for life.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take that and run as well.

PS funny, off topic observation, a lot of junior kids i know (primary school etc) that are crows supporters, have decided that barracking for the GC is now the trendy thing to do., and are aboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Ward is worth what he is worth - I'd hope that we enter contract negotiations fairly and with respect to the entire playing group. Throwing great big wads of cash to Ward won't make the problem go away, it will only shift the problem out by a year until the big money comes for Jones, or Roughead, or Wood, etc...

Dustin Martin and Andrew Swallow were both offered similarly 'stupid' money by GWS but they had little hesitation in staying at their current clubs. Money is not the sole determinant in retaining players. Ward thoroughly deserves a pay rise, one that is commensurate with his improved performance and importance to our on-field future - that amount sure as hell isn't what has been bandied around in the paper today.