Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward

We could heavy load the first 2 years of his contract which will fend off GWS. This will mean we would have to trade/retire the likes of Cross, Hudson, Hall, Gia & Gilbee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Get used to it, Free Agency is just around the corner.
    Isn't there a clause surrounding years of service in the free agency agreement? Hopefully to stop rich clubs mining the youth of the poorer teams.

Post Thanks / Like

A very difficult position for both the club and the player.

There is no way we can match the offer, without severely depleting the playing list.
    We would then be no hope for a considerable time and dependent entirely on kids, without having the access allowed to Gold Coast and GWS.

While you would hope he would stay you simply cannot expect him to forgo that level of money.
    How many of us wouldn't change employers to do the same job for an extra $200K a year, but as supporters we expect Callan to say no and be loyal.

While Chris Grant knocked back the money to stay, he was an established star and comfortable in himself and his life. I suggest the quantum was also significantly less than what is being thrown at Ward.

Longer term the salary cap needs to be properly policed, counting things like the Visy deal for Judd. If that occurs free agency will allow players to go to a club of choice but not allow clubs to simply get all of the best players.

Collingwood and Carlton would (should) only be allowed to offer what their salary cap allows and the original club does have the opportunity to match it. Free agency could even put a squeeze on the salary cap at the cashed up clubs.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Why would this manager go out naming players and publicly stating that Ward would have to turn his back on 2mill to stay there?

When the GWS was poaching no manager did the same with guys like Ablett and Harbrow.

So obviously Ward wants to stay a bulldog and this manager is trying to scare the club/supporters into pressuring them to pay more money for him.

Well that's what i read into it anyway, otherwise why even bother talking at all?
    If he was going Connors wouldn't say a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    If this guy stays, he deserves a parade.
    He'll get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think Callan's a really good young footballer, but not at that sort of money!
    The land of the burnt out car and where they perceive AFL as a fairies game.
    Not exactly appealing
    You can call me a fairy if you're paying me 800 big ones every year. Shit, I'll even wear a tutu and wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    We could heavy load the first 2 years of his contract which will fend off GWS. This will mean we would have to trade/retire the likes of Cross, Hudson, Hall, Gia & Gilbee.
    What would this achieve? Those players have to be replaced. What happens when we draft someone to replace, say Gia for example, and they turn out to be an absolute gun? Then we need to find money in 2-3 years to keep them, and we can't because we've given it all to Ward.

The new clubs are not really an inflationary pressure, because the collective worth is the same due to the salary cap. It's just a few years of pain to get the new clubs on their feet, which delivers money back to the entire competition. What worries me more is free agency with the poorly policed cap.

All the club needs to do is start putting together a strong case sans the cash. If he stays, he stays. If he goes, say thanks and goodbye.

Post Thanks / Like

It's like art, a player is worth whatever someone will pay for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Isn't there a clause surrounding years of service in the free agency agreement? Hopefully to stop rich clubs mining the youth of the poorer teams.
    Yes, 7 years, but my analogy was more the ability to pay players inflated salaries in order to retain them.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While you would hope he would stay you simply cannot expect him to forgo that level of money.
    How many of us wouldn't change employers to do the same job for an extra $200K a year, but as supporters we expect Callan to say no and be loyal.
    Honestly I'm not sure how many here would "expect" Ward to stay with us if the offer rumoured is accurate. Supporters here expect loyalty within reason I believe, if it was half the increase rumoured (200k) I'm not sure I could be angry, let alone what is likely to be at least double what we can pay him. That kind of wage increase is frankly ridiculous and I'd certainly find it very difficult to pass on if I was in Wards situation.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I could be mistaken, but I watched the actual interview and cannot recall Paul Connors ever once mentioning a $2m figure??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I watched the actual interview and cannot recall Paul Connors ever once mentioning a $2m figure??
    I think the HS are guesstimating there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    He is not worth that.

We should get extra compensation because we have lost 2 up-and-coming players. Harbrow and Ward.

We should be ruthless and off load Minson, Hill, Gilbee and maybe Cross to free up cash.
    Who are you expecting to be our number 1 Ruckman once Hudson retires? Could be reality by the end of the year, possibly earlier. Roughead and Cordy aren't ready to take it on by themselves.

We need Minson more than ever at the moment.

You need to temper ruthlessness with a touch of common sense

Post Thanks / Like

Take the cash Cal.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you imagine being 21 and being offerred that sort of cash? Mind boggling. I would certainly understand if he left. Would be disappointed though.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While Chris Grant knocked back the money to stay, he was an established star and comfortable in himself and his life. I suggest the quantum was also significantly less than what is being thrown at Ward.
    Actually no. It was widely reported that Turtle was offered double his salary at the Bulldogs, which was about $500, 000. So Chris was offered about 1 million a year, which would have made him and Kouta the highest payed players in the league. You are right though he was an established star with endorsements from Cadbury and such.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    Take the cash Cal.
    Wonder if us long time long suffering types can take up the option of supporting another club
    Money Money Money