Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    Actually no. It was widely reported that Turtle was offered double his salary at the Bulldogs, which was about $500, 000. So Chris was offered about 1 million a year, which would have made him and Kouta the highest payed players in the league. You are right though he was an established star with endorsements from Cadbury and such.
    Great point! If Ward goes he'll be remembered as someone who took the cash . Simple

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Dimma can offer him a very well paid part time ambassador role in one of his restaurants, ala Judd and Visy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I watched the actual interview and cannot recall Paul Connors ever once mentioning a $2m figure??
    Nobody has offered anything.

Connors referred to other players being offered outrageous money. He was reported to say that Ward would love to stay but no doubt the GWS boys wouldn't mind him in their backyard either.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a small item in the liitle paper last week about trainers' night. Bob Murphy was MC of a panel in which Cal participated. Murph gave Cal a 'spelling test'. Don't remember exact words, but it progressed something like:
    Bulldogs
    Spirit
    Loyalty
    Sheedy
    Devil

Cal took the banter in good humor apparently, and could even spell all the answers!

Post Thanks / Like

He may leave but if he decides to stay it could be a massive step forward for the club.

A show of leadership to build a future on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yikes! How can we compete with that?
    You can't, just take the best deal we can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Nobody has offered anything.

Connors referred to other players being offered outrageous money. He was reported to say that Ward would love to stay but no doubt the GWS boys wouldn't mind him in their backyard either.
    Caro said on 3AW tonight that GWS are pised off with Connors. Silvagni has said that they have not offered anything. She than said that Connors has admiited that he maybe said to much.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Caro said on 3AW tonight that GWS are pised off with Connors. Silvagni has said that they have not offered anything. She than said that Connors has admiited that he maybe said to much.
    Personally I thought it was a great interview all round. Shame nectar copped flack for it.

Post Thanks / Like

The idea just frustrates and upsets me.

The fact another cashed up team (who I still believe won't be successful and hope they fail miserably) can come along and take another of our young upcoming stars. Cal may not be the most decorated youngster around but damn is he a good footballer.

Kid has a big choice to make...looking at our on-field performances this year, and a possible rebuild in the near future (just throwing possibilities out there).. I would understand why a 21 year old would go for it. Setting yourself and family up for a future, has to come into consideration.

We need to show him he is a part of our future and would move heaven and earth to keep him. Sit him down and tell him how much he is valued..'we see you as a future captain' or 'we see you in the leadership group for years to come'

I know Im rambling on a bit but I don't wanna see our future leaving the club for some coin, it would be shattering. He isn't the only upcoming leader (Wallis and Libba of course) but I believe he could make a damn good one.

Post Thanks / Like

I firmly believe he won't go. I may be wrong, but I may be right.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    There was a small item in the liitle paper last week about trainers' night. Bob Murphy was MC of a panel in which Cal participated. Murph gave Cal a 'spelling test'. Don't remember exact words, but it progressed something like:
    Bulldogs
    Spirit
    Loyalty
    Sheedy
    Devil

Cal took the banter in good humor apparently, and could even spell all the answers!
    Yep, I was there and there was a great deal of clapping for Bob's ingenuity - everyone was happy to send Cal a message that Sheedy = DEVIL!!!

Post Thanks / Like

OMG - how do we compete with figures like that? Tough decision.....

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have a good feeling about this at all. If he goes, as Remi has said, he'll be remembered as someone who took the money and ran. At least in Gablett's situation, he could try and argue that he'd had success at Geelong and was looking for new challenges. For mine, if Cal leaves, he's gone for the cash. Loyalty it seems, if not yet dead, is on the endangered species list.

And it's only going to get worse

As an aside, my school had 3 Melbourne boys out today for a clinic. Tom Scully, and, well... OK I have no idea who the others were. I went to say hi to Tom (a former student of mine), and was greeted with "G'day Mr Power!!!" I told him he didn't need to call me that any more! Was VERY tempted to press him on the GWS question, but he's such an honest lad he might've told me his decision, and I'd have been burdened with that information all year long. . He's a good lad though.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Ward.
    But if this is true and he doesn't go then I think he is a moron.
    There are things in life bigger than football, and setting himself and his family up in life is one of those things. If we were arguing over 50k or so then fair enough, hassel the young man about loyalty etc. but 400k a year! Come on. He is going to be good, but he isn't going to be Garry Ablett or Chris Judd, no one else will offer him the kind of money GWS are throwing around.
    If he leaves there will be no ill felling towards him from me.............
    The AFL and GWS.....probably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    I really like Ward.
    But if this is true and he doesn't go then I think he is a moron.
    There are things in life bigger than football, and setting himself and his family up in life is one of those things. If we were arguing over 50k or so then fair enough, hassel the young man about loyalty etc. but 400k a year! Come on. He is going to be good, but he isn't going to be Garry Ablett or Chris Judd, no one else will offer him the kind of money GWS are throwing around.
    If he leaves there will be no ill felling towards him from me.............
    The AFL and GWS.....probably.
    My thoughts exactly.