Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog keen to stay at kennel

Jake Niall
    Sydney Morning Herald
    June 15, 2011

CALLAN Ward says he hopes to work out a contract with the Western Bulldogs and says discussion linking him to Greater Western Sydney is not an issue for him.

Ward is said to have been offered a significant contract by GWS and his management has suggested that, like other players, he would be sacrificing hundreds of thousands of dollars if he stayed with the Bulldogs, the club he barracked for as a kid, having grown up within a short walk of Whitten Oval.

''No, it's not an issue,'' Ward said, when asked about GWS speculation. ''I'm here to play football for the Bulldogs and hopefully, hopefully I can work out a contract here and stay here.''
    Advertisement: Story continues below

Ward, who is out of contract at season's end, was speaking after the Dogs' loss to St Kilda.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/b...614-1g1y4.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog keen to stay at kennel

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    Jake Niall
    Sydney Morning Herald
    June 15, 2011

CALLAN Ward says he hopes to work out a contract with the Western Bulldogs and says discussion linking him to Greater Western Sydney is not an issue for him.

Ward is said to have been offered a significant contract by GWS and his management has suggested that, like other players, he would be sacrificing hundreds of thousands of dollars if he stayed with the Bulldogs, the club he barracked for as a kid, having grown up within a short walk of Whitten Oval.

''No, it's not an issue,'' Ward said, when asked about GWS speculation. ''I'm here to play football for the Bulldogs and hopefully, hopefully I can work out a contract here and stay here.''
    Advertisement: Story continues below

Ward, who is out of contract at season's end, was speaking after the Dogs' loss to St Kilda.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/b...614-1g1y4.html
    Not.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay strong Callan - resist temptation!

Post Thanks / Like

This tells me players are happy with Eade, the club and are sticking together.

Post Thanks / Like

Fingers crossed he is loyal. Really seems a pretty uncomplicated guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't he barrack for Essendon as a kid despite living around the corner from Whitten Oval?

Post Thanks / Like

Good news, but we'll see!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Didn't he barrack for Essendon as a kid despite living around the corner from Whitten Oval?
    Yes he did, but Chris Grant barracked for Carlton ( I think ) & he resisited temptation from Port Adelaide in 1997, so let's HOPE Callan is of same ilke & he too can resist GWS tempation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    Yes he did, but Chris Grant barracked for Carlton ( I think ) & he resisited temptation from Port Adelaide in 1997, so let's HOPE Callan is of same ilke & he too can resist GWS tempation
    I just meant the article said he was a bulldogs supporter. I don't think it makes a big difference to players these days anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

AS I have said before. If he's missing out on 100s of thousands of dollars a year he must go. There will be no ill feelings. No other club in the league would offer that much for him, as is.
    If it were 50k difference then yes, but not 100k-200k a year that is too much to give up.
    And it would desimate the Western Buldogs if they tryed to match the offer. It would leave nothing for the future and put the club in a masive hole.
    Good luck Callan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    AS I have said before. If he's missing out on 100s of thousands of dollars a year he must go. There will be no ill feelings. No other club in the league would offer that much for him, as is.
    If it were 50k difference then yes, but not 100k-200k a year that is too much to give up.
    And it would desimate the Western Buldogs if they tryed to match the offer. It would leave nothing for the future and put the club in a masive hole.
    Good luck Callan.
    More to life than money..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    More to life than money..........
    easy thing to say when you're not the one being offered the money.

Post Thanks / Like

plenty of others have passed up on the cash pipeline from GWS.
    Why not Callan?
    Doug hawkins was offered a birth at Essendon in the twilight of his career.
    Malthouse basically said to him, what happens if you go and then we win the big one after you're gone?
    He could have been a premiership player at Essendon, but he decided to stay for better or worse.

Callan is a Bulldogs fan since childhood. What if he goes and then has to watch us march through a period of sustained success?
    How much money would actually dull the feelins that might stir in a long term supporter?
    Not for all the tea in China would a true Bulldogs fan go to GWS, like Chris Grant and his 20 cent pay rise, and Hawkins, Ward is going to stick with the tricolour. I'm positive.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Good luck Callan.
    Why must he go? Choices such as family, Friends, lifestyle come into the equation and happiness . Yes there will be Ill feelings, he'll be perceived as a mercenary!
    Some of our supporters are just to nice honestly!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Callan is a Bulldogs fan since childhood.
    Not true, as others have stated he barracked for Essendon as a kid.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius