Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog keen to stay at kennel

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Not true, as others have stated he barracked for Essendon as a kid.
    Really? Article is innacurate then?

sacrificing hundreds of thousands of dollars if he stayed with the Bulldogs, the club he barracked for as a kid, having grown up within a short walk of Whitten Oval
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Really? Article is innacurate then?

sacrificing hundreds of thousands of dollars if he stayed with the Bulldogs, the club he barracked for as a kid, having grown up within a short walk of Whitten Oval
    Yep it's wrong. There was a bunch of article's around the time of drafting that stated he was an Essendon supporter despite living around the corner from Whitten Oval.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess I feel less certain now!
    Thanks Underdog
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    plenty of others have passed up on the cash pipeline from GWS.
    Why not Callan?
    Doug hawkins was offered a birth at Essendon in the twilight of his career.
    Malthouse basically said to him, what happens if you go and then we win the big one after you're gone?
    He could have been a premiership player at Essendon, but he decided to stay for better or worse.

Callan is a Bulldogs fan since childhood. What if he goes and then has to watch us march through a period of sustained success?
    How much money would actually dull the feelins that might stir in a long term supporter?
    Not for all the tea in China would a true Bulldogs fan go to GWS, like Chris Grant and his 20 cent pay rise, and Hawkins, Ward is going to stick with the tricolour. I'm positive.
    Doug Hawkins did play at Fitzroy after we ended his career - a decision that was correct (to cut him I mean) .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    AS I have said before. If he's missing out on 100s of thousands of dollars a year he must go. There will be no ill feelings. No other club in the league would offer that much for him, as is.
    If it were 50k difference then yes, but not 100k-200k a year that is too much to give up.
    And it would desimate the Western Buldogs if they tryed to match the offer. It would leave nothing for the future and put the club in a masive hole.
    Good luck Callan.
    Not from me, I would hate him as much as I hate Brown, Harbrow etc.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    easy thing to say when you're not the one being offered the money.
    Doesn't make it any less true though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    More to life than money..........
    100% agree.
    There is also more to life than Footy.
    Things like family and future come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Why must he go? Choices such as family, Friends, lifestyle come into the equation and happiness . Yes there will be Ill feelings, he'll be perceived as a mercenary!
    Some of our supporters are just to nice honestly!!
    Like I said, If it were a pety difference then there would be ill feelings but not the amount bantered around. Footballers make top dollar for a period of about 5-6 years if they are lucky. More than likely he'll have a family to take care of for sometime after that, and a decision like this will dictate how his and his childrens life will pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not from me, I would hate him as much as I hate Brown, Harbrow etc.
    Do you really hate Harbrow? He had his reason to go and I'd have thought most would accept that?

Look guys, don't get me wrong, I wish everyone could play for the Dogs and do it for free. But unfortunately we don't live in a world where that is possible. AFL is no longer about representing your suburb with your mates, having a beer and pie after the game and going back to work with a limp and black eye on Monday. The AFL is a massive business with lots of cash flow and investments. It is not a means to run around, have a laugh and keep fit. It is now their (the players) full time job and as such they get offered promotions / demotions, secondments and interstate postings within that job. It is a personal career move to accept or refuse these offers
    I guess what I'm trying to say is it isn't a good career move to knock back an offer like this, and it would not be a good business decision for the WBs to offer anything dramatic to try and keep him.
    It would be sad, but no hatred or ill feelings here.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you really hate Harbrow? He had his reason to go and I'd have thought most would accept that?
    Yeah, I do. He had been my favourite player over the last couple of seasons and I'm still devastated he's gone. I hate him with a passion.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, If it were a pety difference then there would be ill feelings but not the amount bantered around. Footballers make top dollar for a period of about 5-6 years if they are lucky.
    Bull. Football is a fantastic networking opportunity, and many footballers in the system for a few years go on to lead succesfsul corproate lives based entirely on the contacts they made whilst playing football. Heck, I know of basketballers in the 80s (non-professional era) who are hugely successful almost entirely because they met the right people through the chosen sport.

To suggest that income is a tap that suddenly turns off as soon as the last season is over just doesn't bare out in reality. Richo's PB used to tell me he was a property developer who just happened to play football on the weekends.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, If it were a pety difference then there would be ill feelings but not the amount bantered around. Footballers make top dollar for a period of about 5-6 years if they are lucky. More than likely he'll have a family to take care of for sometime after that, and a decision like this will dictate how his and his childrens life will pan out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bull. Football is a fantastic networking opportunity, and many footballers in the system for a few years go on to lead succesfsul corproate lives based entirely on the contacts they made whilst playing football. Heck, I know of basketballers in the 80s (non-professional era) who are hugely successful almost entirely because they met the right people through the chosen sport.

To suggest that income is a tap that suddenly turns off as soon as the last season is over just doesn't bare out in reality. Richo's PB used to tell me he was a property developer who just happened to play football on the weekends.
    That is kind of what I am getting at Mofra!
    They make top dollar for that period as a Football player (maybe I should have written it out fully). A move like this would give him a broader mind and experience as well as the finacial backing to set up for his future endevours.
    Thats why I go on in that same post about AFL being a business now and career moves etc.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 16-06-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yeah, I do. He had been my favourite player over the last couple of seasons and I'm still devastated he's gone. I hate him with a passion.
    Good to hear. If Callan goes for the rumoured kind of money he's been offered then he'd be mad not too. There's surely no way we could match it, and tbh, he's proven little so far to justify that kind of potential offer from GWS or us.

I'm not going to be cheering him on or wishing him well in the future. Please shut the door on your way out and we'll move onto the players who want to stay. It's not worth jeopardising the salary cap to keep him (at this stage of his current career) and having problems fitting the current crop of <20 gamers in in 1-3 years.