Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to VFL for Brian Lake

BRIAN Lake will not be given a gold pass back into the Western Bulldogs and faces another week in the VFL.

The All-Australian full-back trained strongly yesterday and appears ready, but the Dogs have him penciled in as most likely to play at Williamstown.

Despite the importance of Friday night's clash with Adelaide, the Dogs are leaning towards giving Lake time to find confidence.

"We're keeping our fingers crossed he'll be right to play this week ... most likely Williamstown I'd say," football manager James Fantasia said.

Lake kicked three goals in the final quarter of the Round 11 loss to Geelong, but withdrew from Friday night's clash against St Kilda with groin soreness.

It may take one match at VFL level to convince the match committee he is ready to return, but Lake may have to earn his spot.

"It's about him getting some confidence in his own body and I think that's coming," Fantasia said. "To his credit, he's done everything right. He's done a bit extra."

Adam Cooney and Barry Hall will come back into the senior team if they can prove their fitness. Cooney, who has missed four matches, continues to battle knee soreness.

The Dogs have upgraded his training load and are confident he will get up for Friday night.

"He's getting some swelling and it's sore and it's causing him discomfort," Fantasia said.

"We're confident he can get past that and hopefully it's this Friday night."

Hall, hampered by an ankle injury, is 50-50.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226075252729

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back to VFL for Brian Lake

Maybe the public dressing down of Lakes mental strength from Rocket and Monty was an extended version of Rockets usual Brian basting session. Bit of a risky strategy if Brian responds poorly though.....

Also I am confused at the idea that one week he is at Willy and the next he is at AFL level and then the next week he is back at Willy for fitness reasons. Seems the coaching panel is really unsure what to do.

As an aside, how can Hall and Cooney come straight back in? Crazy IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Maybe the public dressing down of Lakes mental strength from Rocket and Monty was an extended version of Rockets usual Brian basting session. Bit of a risky strategy if Brian responds poorly though.....

Also I am confused at the idea that one week he is at Willy and the next he is at AFL level and then the next week he is back at Willy for fitness reasons. Seems the coaching panel is really unsure what to do.

As an aside, how can Hall and Cooney come straight back in? Crazy IMO.
    I think we are all confused about Brian Lake! IMO we should let him regain confidence and fitness until his mind is right to return. Let's face it our backline looks ordinary without him,
    but at least it provides an opportunity for the MC to be convinced or otherwise about Mulligan, Markovic and Barlow.
    You would want both Hall and Cooney to come back to add some experience and ability to a team that is sadly lacking in so many areas at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Willy are playing Frankston this week.

Perhaps that had something to do with the coaches intentions.

If Brian plays forward i would expect he and Grant to kick 5 goals each min

Post Thanks / Like

Article this afternoon on Tippett possibly playing this Friday comes this quote from afl.com.au

"The Bulldogs are hopeful of regaining Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney, forward Barry Hall and defender Brian Lake for Friday night's clash, with the trio also facing fitness tests on Thursday."

For the Official Website of the AFL it's a pretty poor news source.