Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bitter Western Bulldogs hobbled by culture of blame

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Robbo's talking rot but I don't think Monty has done the right thing by Brian or the club.
    Robbo is perpetuating the rubbish

Like you, I was shocked at Monty's radio work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Robbo is perpetuating the rubbish

Like you, I was shocked at Monty's radio work
    Maybe the Brodie Holland hit stuffed his head.

Post Thanks / Like

I love getting a culture lesson from Grant Thomas. Like getting a women's Lib lesson from the Taliban, me thinks!
    Awful article full of factual errors, I mean going back to the 70's when the club was running on fumes.( couldn't afford an oily rag)We all know the Wallace story, The Hardie story( blimey should we have rid the coach and not the player)Josh Hill has had numerous chances and failed. Chris Grant thinks Rocket (results will dictate) whether he falls on his sword or not , exactly what happened at Sydney! Anything wrong with Sydney's culture??Great article Mark Akermanis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I'm glad Robbo is quoting THE ORACLE Grant Thomas. Anything Grant says must be right. Grant certainly put together a fine leadership group at The Saints. Fine bunch of lads.Isn't it lucky that St.kilda didn't put Robert Harvey on a pedestal like we did with our champs.
    They still are! How many calls has there been on Harvey being in the Hall of Fame!!
    I reckon I've heard 20 calls, which is weird considering he's not eligible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    My recollection is different - Wallace lost the players earlier than the 2nd last game, partly because of Grant unhappiness about his best mate (Brad Wira) being traded to Freo.
    Wallace jumped before he was pushed.

In any case, how often do we hear of Geelong or the Swans during their heyday giving players a subtle bake in the media? Culturally we have a higher propensity towards this than some other teams.
    Sorry Mofra your first paragraph is at best revisionist history. Wallace signed a new deal the year before he left amidst rumours of him going to Fremantle (2001), the year later he realized that the list he built was going nowhere fast and made an informal deal with Sydney. Also Wira was traded to Freo at the end of 98, so I'm not sure how that could've been a factor four years later.

On your second paragraph, Malthouse, Matthews and Blight (amongst others) used to bake their players in the media all the time. The only difference is the media spin it as 'a successful club not accepting mediocrity', as opposed to when we do it, it's apparently 'a culture of blame'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    My recollection is different - Wallace lost the players earlier than the 2nd last game, partly because of Grant unhappiness about his best mate (Brad Wira) being traded to Freo.
    Wallace jumped before he was pushed.

In any case, how often do we hear of Geelong or the Swans during their heyday giving players a subtle bake in the media? Culturally we have a higher propensity towards this than some other teams.
    Wallace walked in his words "massive cuts to his football dept".
    People like Mark Robinson try and rewrite history, look the leadership group took charge and basically put it to Terry if he is going elsewhere, then go!We all know the Sydney stuff and even Elliott got a call. It's a factually wrong article in so many ways, Lazy Lazy Lazy

Post Thanks / Like

Enough soul searching. Leave the past in the past. Let's get behind the players, players win the games, we all feel good, drink beer and celebrate. It's simple!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Enough soul searching. Leave the past in the past. Let's get behind the players, players win the games, we all feel good, drink beer and celebrate. It's simple!

I second that GD.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Robbo, but this was just junk. Sure, there were elements of truth, but as has been said, if we'd have been flying, he'd be singing a different tune.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I don't mind Robbo, but this was just junk. Sure, there were elements of truth, but as has been said, if we'd have been flying, he'd be singing a different tune.
    Second that AP6, If this was such a prevalent part of the bulldog culture, you'd have think we'd have heard about it by now.

I usually watch AFL 360 and generally don't mind Robbo either, but based on what he said on the show Wednesday night (a highly condensed version of his article), I was keen to see exactly where he came to this view from and thought I'd find that in the article. Turns out, the article was just pure junk. Really lazy and poor effort I thought, offered no insight at all, no type of serious analysis on whats going or has gone on.

Just seems like he formed a view of a story he could write, and picked things out of history and out of context to support this.