Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

200 Games - Well done Bob

Great article to celebrate one of our best current players.

A clan of true believe

Bob Murphy's parents met when John was a Catholic priest and Monica a nun. They left the order to be together, had Ben, Bridget and then little Robbie. On the eve of his 200th game, they talk to Peter Hanlon about storytelling, crushing disappointment, and keeping the faith - in football and life.

JOHN: I vividly remember his first game. He was eight, and there was a lightning premiership out at Buln Buln. Monica and I were wondering, 'He mightn't take to this …' Ben was already playing footy, he was four or five years older. For the first two or three minutes he just wandered around, didn't look completely at home, then the ball bounced loose and he went, whoosh! He swooped on it and kicked it onto a guy's chest. And I thought, 'He's got it. He's got the gift.'

MONICA: He was a gorgeous kid. He was number three, what else could he be? Robbie didn't like conflict - he would never tell you that anything was worrying him. He was one of those little fellows who would work around it. Ben and Bridget were in secondary school, and he was going to primary school. I said to him one day, 'Today you'll have to come home when there's no one at home', because we weren't going to get home before him. He said, 'Well, it depends how you look at it, Mum. I could be the latch-door kid, who's neglected, or I could be the kid who's taking responsibility and who's been given some freedom. And that's the way I see it.' He was saying that to accommodate me, to make me feel better. He always looked for the best option, the most positive for everyone. I think he thought I had to be looked after, and he still does that.

JOHN: I never heard him articulate that he wanted to be a footballer.

MONICA: He plays his cards close to his chest, even as a little boy. He loved everything, every kid and every person.

JOHN: He was never one of those driven, 'I'm going to be a footballer' kids. He talked more about playing basketball and cricket.

MONICA: I just remember him talking about having a comfortable life, good fun. Ben was strong, wanted to learn and go ahead and break barriers. Bridget was a real leader later in school, before that she was easy-going but still more driven than Robbie.

JOHN: You wouldn't have heard him say, 'I'm bored'. There was nothing to be bored about, always plenty of friends, plenty of things to do. But if you were going to talk about them going on to be professional sportspeople, Rob wouldn't have been the first or the second that you'd think of. But I wonder if he was disguising some real ambition or desire.

MONICA: I like his columns. I'm a bit surprised by his grasp of structure, but I'm not surprised at his Irish storytelling. He always had that wistful, dreamy way, he's poetic. He always had a different life view from most people. Mary Mutsaers (Rob's secondary school English teacher) said she knew he had it, but he wouldn't put it on paper. But I don't think school was the right forum for him. He said he learnt more from sitting around our table listening to our adult friends than he did from sitting in a classroom.

Keep reading Here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 200 Games - Well done Bob

Congratulations Bob, not just on achieving 200 games but also on your beautiful family (how cute are those curly kids!), and also on keeping a sense of what's important in life, and doing your best to pass that on to others. Truly admirable.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob you are a legend! Congrats on 200 games

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Congratulations Bob, not just on achieving 200 games but also on your beautiful family (how cute are those curly kids!), and also on keeping a sense of what's important in life, and doing your best to pass that on to others. Truly admirable.
    Yeah a future father son with curly hair.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Bob - love watching you play and you deserve a win tomorrow night!

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Robert Murphy - a fine talented football player with a level-head and a gorgeous family to boot! Let's hope the boys do you proud and we have a big win to celebrate.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Murph.
    His children are adorable!

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Bob. You are a great bloke and a credit to your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Legend!

Post Thanks / Like

On Ya Murph. No offence to Boyd who has been fantastic but I always think of Bob
    as our other captain

Post Thanks / Like

In a disappointing season for the dogs....it's still one of football's great treats watching the balance, poise and evasive skills of Murph. He is the Harry Houdini of the AFL the way he escapes the clutches of opponents when surrounded by his would-be tacklers.

Post Thanks / Like

An excellent piece.

The Age should send a copy to Mark Robinson in the hope he may learn somehthing about journalism and more to the point the true "culture" of the Western Bulldogs.

As Monica says: "Thank God for the Bulldogs"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    On Ya Murph. No offence to Boyd who has been fantastic but I always think of Bob
    as our other captain
    Our spiritual Leader in more ways than one. I have really enjoyed watching Murph's career. A silky skillful player and a great bloke too.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Bob on your 200 milestone , lets hope you can get past 250 , it would be great to see you slot a couple against the Crow,s

Post Thanks / Like

What a good read - gives a nice insight into the emotions and issues parents of draftees have to deal with and reflects very well indeed on the club and players. The Murphy's sound like fantastic people.

We are lucky to have you on our list Bob - good luck and congratulations on your 200th.