Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs issued with please explain

Dogs issued with please explain

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have until Thursday evening to inform the AFL why runner Rohan Smith spent long periods of time on the ground during Friday night's win over Adelaide at Etihad Stadium.

Smith, a club great who played 300 games for the Dogs between 1992 and 2006, wore a microphone for Channel 7's coverage of the match and was captured on field for extended blocks of time.

His time on field, and the nature of his messages to the players, was held up for scrutiny on Monday night's episode of On the Couch on Fox Sports.

The Dogs now have until close of business on Thursday to explain his actions.

Smith has acted as runner for the club since its round nine clash with West Coast at Patersons Stadium.

Read on ...
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs issued with please explain

Watching the telecast I wondered about this...really seemed to be asking for trouble by delivering 'general instructions' rather than messages and just staying on the ground for extended periods.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Watching the telecast I wondered about this...really seemed to be asking for trouble by delivering 'general instructions' rather than messages and just staying on the ground for extended periods.
    I wondered if it was all for show ... Being 'miked' by Channel 7 and asked to perform for the cameras?
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest half of what i heard him say was kind of meaningless. "Good Boy" this and "Good Job" that.

Maybe i missed the full examples but from the bits i saw he said nothing in any detail.
    The only real instruction was when he told them to hold onto it.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this on Footy Classified, hilarious stuff. If the AFL means it, they'll ask all clubs - I'd put money on the fact that they all do similar to Smithy's work. IMO, running over the mark of a player kicking for goal is more serious than saying "Come on, man up"... Sure, maybe he lingered a bit long, but he isn't the first and won't be the last.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody Ch7!
    Are they good for anything???
    I heard Matthews say, what Smith was doing was coaching on the field, which you are not allowed to do. I thought "Typical" Ch7 ask a favour of the Dogs and Smith then screw them on it. If he wasn't miked up this issue wouldn't have come up!

Post Thanks / Like

P.S Note to the club: Next time CH7 ask for another favour tell them to stick it up their .......

Post Thanks / Like

I'm betting every runner in the AFL does it

Post Thanks / Like

If he gets fined, Channel Bruce should pay it.

The incident that is of most interest to the AFL is just before half time when Bubba is on the field with 20 seconds left and the Crows are mounting an attack. A couple of the Crows players get behind the zone and Bubba is trying to alert Doggies players to cover them.
    If you watch the vision associated with the audio, hardly any of the players take any notice of him anyway, and had the quarter gone another 10 seconds Adelaide would have scored.

I clearly remember yelling at the players from my seat on level 2 exactly the same thing. I had as much success as Bubba.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I'm betting every runner in the AFL does it
    Exactly. No more favors for the networks,all Rohan Smith was doing was encouraging the players.I'm sure all runners do the same thing. Petty and Pedantic From the league's governance. Let's keep that idiotic advantage rule yet will sling a runner for "coaching"

Post Thanks / Like

Runners are a waste of time
    The players come off every 5 minutes, surely they can get instructions and a drink while they are there.
    If a guy is injured, get out to them....otherwise stay out of the way I say.
    There, I said it !
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGentStand View Post
    Runners are a waste of time
    The players come off every 5 minutes, surely they can get instructions and a drink while they are there.
    If a guy is injured, get out to them....otherwise stay out of the way I say.
    There, I said it !
    You have been reading this: Running on empty
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs have copped a $5000 fine - with $2500 suspended - for runner Rohan Smith spending too much time on the ground last week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bulldogs have copped a $5000 fine - with $2500 suspended - for runner Rohan Smith spending too much time on the ground last week.
    Pretty cheap rates for prime time coverage. Now if we had only thought of Smithy carrying some advertising while he was on camera.

Rohan is my nomination for this years sports oscars, best supporting act.

Post Thanks / Like

Must admit I found it all quite funny, Rohan has that smile and nature I just find hard to imagine him giving orders .
    The AFL is a joke though because I am sure every other more experienced runner is 3 times as bad,
    Big Brother strikes again on the weak, upcoming teams but bows to the corporate clubs.
    The AFLs football rules and outside rules are so grey they can manipulate them how they want depending on what they want, they have always had favourites.