Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Regeneration is key

Article from Wayne Schwass: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...4/default.aspx

'IF IT ain't broke, don't fix it' seems to be something good teams subconsciously embrace as a result of their success.

During the Brisbane Lions' rein during the early 2000s, the Lions sparingly introduced new players. Changes were made more out of necessity because of injury or suspension rather than wanting to blood new players.

In 2001, the Lions introduced five new players: Jamie Charman, Ashley McGrath, Richard Hadley, Robert Copeland and Dylan McLaren.

The following year only Shane Morrison and Darren Bradshaw debuted and in 2003 Jason Gram, Luke Weller and Jared Brennan made their first appearances.

The Lions' dominance ended in 2004, losing to Port Adelaide in the Grand Final and the wheels finally fell off when they slipped to 11th in 2005 and 13th in 2006.

Three premierships and four Grand finals is a compelling case but even when a club is successful, it's important new faces are introduced.

The approach of the Lions was short-sighted in the sense that they were totally fixated on winning as many premierships as they possibly could and you'd be hard pressed to argue against that.

But because they kept going back to the well with a relatively unchanged line up during this period, when the wheels did finally fall off, they fell off in a big way because they hadn't exposed enough younger players during this period to fill the void once older players moved on.

The Western Bulldogs have followed a similar path to the Brisbane Lions, albeit without the premiership success.

Read on: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...4/default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Regeneration is key

Not a bad article. It's tough moving players (who have served the club well) on. Wonder why he didn't mention Eagleton?

Post Thanks / Like

Well thought out article. We've been good that makes it difficult for young players to come through.Just thought they went with one veteran to many last year. Having said that it would have been a very harsh call to unload one of them. Look at Stkilda and Geelong,one keeps playing the youngsters in big games the other decides to get the band back together. Even if we snag a few in the next couple I hope Rocket and the MC keep their nerve and keep playing the kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    Not a bad article. It's tough moving players (who have served the club well) on. Wonder why he didn't mention Eagleton?
    Tough decisions need to be made if we want to climb up the ladder sooner than later. I have used the Collingwood analogy on a number of occasions.
    I am unsure why we are continually playing the likes of Cross and Huddo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Tough decisions need to be made if we want to climb up the ladder sooner than later. I have used the Collingwood analogy on a number of times.
    I am unsure why we are continually playing the likes of Cross and Huddo
    I agree you can even add Gibee to the group. Not sure who I prefer Gilbee or Cross in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I agree you can even add Gibee to the group. Not sure who I prefer Gilbee or Cross in the team.
    And Gilbee .....

Post Thanks / Like

Why didn't he mention Geelong who only had 6 debutants in 3 years between 2007-2009?

Post Thanks / Like

Defensive forward must be the new black. A spot where you put someone who has no position.
    If Cross is gonna play in the forward 50 even as a defensive type, he has to kick goals given the opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto. How about they all just chase, tackle and apply pressure when the ball is in the foward third (at minimum)?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Desi but when on a wing he is the one who goes sideways yes to a running Midmielder or half back who does kick well to dump him would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater he is down a bit this year but as with Lake I will back him to come back better next year.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning