Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Regeneration is key

Article from Wayne Schwass: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...4/default.aspx

'IF IT ain't broke, don't fix it' seems to be something good teams subconsciously embrace as a result of their success.

During the Brisbane Lions' rein during the early 2000s, the Lions sparingly introduced new players. Changes were made more out of necessity because of injury or suspension rather than wanting to blood new players.

In 2001, the Lions introduced five new players: Jamie Charman, Ashley McGrath, Richard Hadley, Robert Copeland and Dylan McLaren.

The following year only Shane Morrison and Darren Bradshaw debuted and in 2003 Jason Gram, Luke Weller and Jared Brennan made their first appearances.

The Lions' dominance ended in 2004, losing to Port Adelaide in the Grand Final and the wheels finally fell off when they slipped to 11th in 2005 and 13th in 2006.

Three premierships and four Grand finals is a compelling case but even when a club is successful, it's important new faces are introduced.

The approach of the Lions was short-sighted in the sense that they were totally fixated on winning as many premierships as they possibly could and you'd be hard pressed to argue against that.

But because they kept going back to the well with a relatively unchanged line up during this period, when the wheels did finally fall off, they fell off in a big way because they hadn't exposed enough younger players during this period to fill the void once older players moved on.

The Western Bulldogs have followed a similar path to the Brisbane Lions, albeit without the premiership success.

Read on: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...4/default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Regeneration is key

Not a bad article. It's tough moving players (who have served the club well) on. Wonder why he didn't mention Eagleton?

Post Thanks / Like

Well thought out article. We've been good that makes it difficult for young players to come through.Just thought they went with one veteran to many last year. Having said that it would have been a very harsh call to unload one of them. Look at Stkilda and Geelong,one keeps playing the youngsters in big games the other decides to get the band back together. Even if we snag a few in the next couple I hope Rocket and the MC keep their nerve and keep playing the kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    Not a bad article. It's tough moving players (who have served the club well) on. Wonder why he didn't mention Eagleton?
    Tough decisions need to be made if we want to climb up the ladder sooner than later. I have used the Collingwood analogy on a number of occasions.
    I am unsure why we are continually playing the likes of Cross and Huddo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Tough decisions need to be made if we want to climb up the ladder sooner than later. I have used the Collingwood analogy on a number of times.
    I am unsure why we are continually playing the likes of Cross and Huddo
    I agree you can even add Gibee to the group. Not sure who I prefer Gilbee or Cross in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I agree you can even add Gibee to the group. Not sure who I prefer Gilbee or Cross in the team.
    And Gilbee .....

Post Thanks / Like

Why didn't he mention Geelong who only had 6 debutants in 3 years between 2007-2009?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Why didn't he mention Geelong who only had 6 debutants in 3 years between 2007-2009?
    Because 4 years later they are still on top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Because 4 years later they are still on top.
    So by Swatta's logic Geelong's wheels, when they do fall off, will fall off in a big way?

I don't think a cookie cutter analogy fits in this case, but he does have a point — we haven't played enough kids. Don't agree with the call on Cross though. Obviously some here don't like him, but the man delivers enough to keep his spot week in week out. Who do you play in his spot? (Back it up with some solid evidence if you're gonna bite)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    So by Swatta's logic Geelong's wheels, when they do fall off, will fall off in a big way?

I don't think a cookie cutter analogy fits in this case, but he does have a point — we haven't played enough kids. Don't agree with the call on Cross though. Obviously some here don't like him, but the man delivers enough to keep his spot week in week out. Who do you play in his spot? (Back it up with some solid evidence if you're gonna bite)
    I would have thought Reid would be the one who could take his spot and he is in good form at Willi ATM. I love Cross's desperation and courage, but he can't kick, makes poor decision and wouldn't be able to out run Minson. He is becoming a liability to our team IMO.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I would have thought Reid would be the one who could take his spot and he is in good form at Willi ATM. I love Cross's desperation and courage, but he can't kick, makes poor decision and wouldn't be able to out run Minson. He is becoming a liability to our team IMO.
    Yeah, Reid's a hard one because we haven't seen enough of him at senior level to guage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    And Reid can kick?

Post Thanks / Like

Wait until later in the season when we are mathematically no chance of playing finals.......thats when the likes of Huddo, Cross & Gilbee will most likely make way.
    We need to start the transition now!
    Minson will most likely continue to play due to his age (not form), at least until Cordy and Roughy are ready to play regular AFL.
    I would rather get anonther 8 games into the likes of Roughy and Howard than playing guys on their last legs for the remainder of the season. Do not know what we gain from this?
    Mantis, interested in your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Mantis, interested in your thoughts?
    Having only seen 4 games this year I am not in a position to offer much, hopefully after seeing a few more games I can add my 2 bobs into the discussions taking place.

In saying that having watched training on Friday and then attending Saturday's game there are some real concerns to where we are at and the next 3 games will give us a very good idea of which path we need to take.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Having only seen 4 games this year I am not in a position to offer much, hopefully after seeing a few more games I can add my 2 bobs into the discussions taking place.

In saying that having watched training on Friday and then attending Saturday's game there are some real concerns to where we are at and the next 3 games will give us a very good idea of which path we need to take.
    Agree........we are not fully looking to the future and are clinging to the past (with the ageing players getting a game). Its like that boxer who went one too many bouts.

We are not a premiership threat this year and should look to move on those players who are not performing to their high standards of yesteryear.