Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Regeneration is key

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    we are not fully looking to the future and are clinging to the past (with the ageing players getting a game). .
    Desi I have to strongly disagree, We have been playing on average around 8 to 9 players every week with less than 50 games and we even had a high of 11 against the Saints. The team needs to be balanced otherwise these young guys will learn nothing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    And Reid can kick?
    He can kick better than Cross, which isn't saying much.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I would have thought Reid would be the one who could take his spot and he is in good form at Willi ATM. I love Cross's desperation and courage, but he can't kick, makes poor decision and wouldn't be able to out run Minson. He is becoming a liability to our team IMO.

Reid has had a shocking run with injuries just about every time he has played in the seniors so it's almost impossible to say that he would be a better than Cross. Whilst you have criticized the kicking skills of Cross (which most would agree) I don't think Reid is a huge upgrade.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Reid has had a shocking run with injuries just about every time he has played in the seniors so it's almost impossible to say that he would be a better than Cross. Whilst you have criticized the kicking skills of Cross (which most would agree) I don't think Reid is a huge upgrade.
    It almost cant be overstated just how ridiculously bad Reid's run with injuries has been, so much so that I've never been sure whether he is actually fit enough to run out an AFL game. Obviously Cross has always been a good runner.

Reid has never demonstrated that he is a good kick.

I actually think Cross has been better in the last fortnight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Desi I have to strongly disagree, We have been playing on average around 8 to 9 players every week with less than 50 games and we even had a high of 11 against the Saints. The team needs to be balanced otherwise these young guys will learn nothing.
    How is Roughy learning the senior caper when Hudson and Minson are taking his spot?
    How is Wallis developing when Cross is taking his spot?
    Thank goodness the MC are getting regular games into Jones, Dahlhaus and Libba as this is our future and we need to try and fastrack their development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Cross is a liability to our team with the way he now plays, I would rather give his spot to a Reid or Hooper or Tutt or Wallis etc and see if they have a future on our list for next year and beyond. As much as he has been a warrior for our side it's a little sad to see him out there unable to do the things he should because his body won't let him.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Cross is a liability to our team with the way he now plays, I would rather give his spot to a Reid or Hooper or Tutt or Wallis etc and see if they have a future on our list for next year and beyond. As much as he has been a warrior for our side it's a little sad to see him out there unable to do the things he should because his body won't let him.
    Can't agree with this and all the negative posts about Cross. Yes he can't kick very far and he is slow and not fashionable, yet he finds the ball on average 30 times a game. We have to balance the team between old and new, we can't just dump all the players over 28 years old in one hit. Cross is a great leader in that he clearly is a role model for training and preparation for a game and his hardness and never say die attitude.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not just his leg speed but decision making that is slow at present.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    It is not just his leg speed but decision making that is slow at present.
    can't agree with that either. Have a look at some of his hand passing when he is on the bottom of a pack. Yes often he is on a wing and has the ball, looks up and no one there so it looks like he doesn't know what he is doing.

His stats show that turnovers and errors are low, in fact he averages only 1.5 critical error per game.

Post Thanks / Like

can't agree with that either. Have a look at some of his hand passing when he is on the bottom of a pack. Yes often he is on a wing and has the ball, looks up and no one there so it looks like he doesn't know what he is doing.

His stats show that turnovers and errors are low, in fact he averages only 1.5 critical error per game.
    Are they forward kicks? How many result in a goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't agree with this and all the negative posts about Cross. Yes he can't kick very far and he is slow and not fashionable, yet he finds the ball on average 30 times a game. We have to balance the team between old and new, we can't just dump all the players over 28 years old in one hit. Cross is a great leader in that he clearly is a role model for training and preparation for a game and his hardness and never say die attitude.
    I agree bornadog

Im not willing to throw Cross out just yet. I know he has had a bad year but to suggest that Hooper deserves, and would be of more value is not view I can agree with.

We need to introduce new players, and have been doing that, but wholesale changes because we are looking for scapegoats wont work

Even at the end of the year we will only have what 10 changes to the list. IMO Cross is unlikely to be among them so we have to figure out ways in which he can continue to be useful.

Post Thanks / Like

He plays with the specific goal of avoiding turnovers, chipping sideways and not taking the game on will make your efficiency look good, but it kills the momentum of the team in attack and allows the opposition to set up in defence.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

So what to do with the same type Cross, Boyd , Libba, Wallis and Sam Reid?
    Can't keep them all!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    So what to do with the same type Cross, Boyd , Libba, Wallis and Sam Reid?
    Can't keep them all!!
    Here I have to say I love players of this type, and no team can have enough of them. These guys are the ones who actually go and get the ball (in and under is the modern term I guess). I don't know what the stats are for interceptions (or even if they keep such a stat), but I will bet that Boyd and Cross are one/two in that department.

Libba hardly ever wastes an opportunity and Wallis is shaping to be as good in that department. Matty and Daniel are leaders by example and thats important in both onfield play and club culture.

Sam Reid has had such restricted game time that it is difficult to ascertain his potential at senior level.

I think it would be better to look at the positives and get off Crossies back. He is third on disposals (behind Boyd & Griffin), second in the tackle count and first in the number of marks taken.

What has the guy got to do to make you all happy.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not about being on anyones back. It is about looking at the ways to improve the team next year and beyond. As much as we love the players the game changes and players get older.

Crossy is a champ in my book and one of the first picked each week no doubt but moving forward that will change.