Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Regeneration is key

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Here I have to say I love players of this type, and no team can have enough of them. These guys are the ones who actually go and get the ball (in and under is the modern term I guess). I don't know what the stats are for interceptions (or even if they keep such a stat), but I will bet that Boyd and Cross are one/two in that department.

Libba hardly ever wastes an opportunity and Wallis is shaping to be as good in that department. Matty and Daniel are leaders by example and thats important in both onfield play and club culture.

Sam Reid has had such restricted game time that it is difficult to ascertain his potential at senior level.

I think it would be better to look at the positives and get off Crossies back. He is third on disposals (behind Boyd & Griffin), second in the tackle count and first in the number of marks taken.

What has the guy got to do to make you all happy.
    How do you rate his disposal and decision making?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    How do you rate his disposal and decision making?
    Its easy to sit back and say lets get rid of Cross, but until you show me a player that gets 30 disposals per game, consistently, then I will say lets replace him. The fact is even guys like Ward, who have clocked up 50 games, still struggle to be consistent and struggle consistently to get their hands on the ball.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Its easy to sit back and say lets get rid of Cross, but until you show me a player that gets 30 disposals per game, consistently, then I will say lets replace him. The fact is even guys like Ward, who have clocked up 50 games, still struggle to be consistent and struggle consistently to get their hands on the ball.
    How about answering my questions to you rather than picking and choosing which ones to answer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I agree bornadog

Im not willing to throw Cross out just yet. I know he has had a bad year but to suggest that Hooper deserves, and would be of more value is not view I can agree with.

We need to introduce new players, and have been doing that, but wholesale changes because we are looking for scapegoats wont work

Even at the end of the year we will only have what 10 changes to the list. IMO Cross is unlikely to be among them so we have to figure out ways in which he can continue to be useful.
    Ditto for me. Cross might be down on his form from previous seasons but I would back him to work through it. He's a proven performer and I see no value in dropping him just to bring in a youngster who hasn't earned it.

We may have to use him in different roles like we did against the Saints but I'd be confident he can adapt.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Cross doesn't get 30 a game. I'd rather 18 per game that go forward than 25 that go sideways and go slllloooowww

Post Thanks / Like

What does Cross really average?

He had 30 against GC, what does he average against the better sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Cross doesn't get 30 a game. I'd rather 18 per game that go forward than 25 that go sideways and go slllloooowww
    Me too.
    Last edited by chef; 30-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Ditto for me. Cross might be down on his form from previous seasons but I would back him to work through it. He's a proven performer and I see no value in dropping him just to bring in a youngster who hasn't earned it.

We may have to use him in different roles like we did against the Saints but I'd be confident he can adapt.
    Cmon Gary, how many players make a career playing as a defensive forward alone?

Post Thanks / Like

Defensive forward must be the new black. A spot where you put someone who has no position.
    If Cross is gonna play in the forward 50 even as a defensive type, he has to kick goals given the opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto. How about they all just chase, tackle and apply pressure when the ball is in the foward third (at minimum)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    What does Cross really average?

He had 30 against GC, he does he average against the better sides. Me too.
    His average this year is down to 25 per game as he has been playing a more defensive role., ie tagging role.

The comment on 25 sideways is just your perception and not reality.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His average this year is down to 25 per game as he has been playing a more defensive role., ie tagging role.

It's not far from reality.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Cmon Gary, how many players make a career playing as a defensive forward alone?
    I didn't say he would do that role every week. It shows to me that he can be used in a couple of other roles within our best 22.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Even when he goes forward he has no penetration in his kick at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Desi but when on a wing he is the one who goes sideways yes to a running Midmielder or half back who does kick well to dump him would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater he is down a bit this year but as with Lake I will back him to come back better next year.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning