Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player upset by comments in Gold Coast-Western Bulldogs match

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Actually, we don't know if this even relates to the incident involving our player.

That incident was dealt with at the time. There may have been other events that Wilkinson was aggrieved about.

The other issue is that Wilkinson (on my understaning) is not indigenous, so there should be no concern from the indigenous community.
    Correct. His heritage is Nigerian.

We don't even know that it's purely a racial vilification issue. Wilkinson is claiming racial, religious and sexual vilification caused him to stop playing in the AFL.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The line of logic is that we can't attract indigenous players, but we have no issue in having an African in Johannisen as one of our regulars.

Any issue we see being compromised because of the Wilkinson situation is surely mitigated by the way we appear to have embraced players of other races, such as Johannisen and Jong.

To my mind this just makes it another case and while Wilkinson himself is coming from a racial vilification position, it doen't mean PG defending the AFL is condoning anything.

It just could be that the case has been handled reasonably, but Wilkinson wants more.

We just don't know and it is not prudent to draw conclusions without sufficient knowledge.
    So something akin to 'it's not an Indigenous brother, thus not really my problem?'

That's very glass half full to put it diplomatically.

Something tells me that's not quite how people of colour might break this down.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    So something akin to 'it's not an Indigenous brother, thus not really my problem?'

That's very glass half full to put it diplomatically.

Something tells me that's not quite how people of colour might break this down.
    I am sorry, but you are misrepresenting me.

Just because Wilkinson believes he has a problem, it doesn't automatically follow that the problem is entirely the fault of others and PG defending a party, that is one of the others, also doesn't mean that PG doesn't have the utmost respect for the concerns being raised.

There currently seems a need to be offended, even without knowledge of the actual complaint.

Personally, I am not invested in the particular issue of whether PG should act for the AFL in this particular case as I really know no detail of the case.

What I have said is that the club has embraced people of other races and I am happy that they do.

There seems some insinuation at the club has a racial problem because of the lack of indigenous players. I don't see that and clearly there is evidence that our NGA program will lead to indigenous players happily coming to the club.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

"The other issue is that Wilkinson (on my understaning) is not indigenous, so there should be no concern from the indigenous community."

Is that the statement I've misrepresented? How else should it be interpreted?

All I know is I'm super glad I've had my daily need to be offended fulfilled. This is definitely about people's "current" need for perpetual offence and not at all about the league's self confessed inability to do better on issues of racism that aren't going away without being properly and sincerely addressed, for its own good and the welfare of its players.

Trust me I'd much rather be pissing and moaning about selection than our President helping the league avoid doing a better job on that front.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not seeking out offence where there is none - I'm more disappointed in our involvement than offended. I read Wilkinson's post, saw Gordon's name, and the further I read, the more uncomfortable I became.

I wonder how he would view this in retrospect?

Ultimately, I'm concerned with what's in the best interests of the footy club, and I don't feel any of our involvement here is.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I'm not seeking out offence where there is none - I'm more disappointed in our involvement than offended. I read Wilkinson's post, saw Gordon's name, and the further I read, the more uncomfortable I became.

I wonder how he would view this in retrospect?

Ultimately, I'm concerned with what's in the best interests of the footy club, and I don't feel any of our involvement here is.
    Sorry if you have mentioned this, but where is the conflict? PG wasn't President in 2011, and that issue was as far as I know resolved at the time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sorry if you have mentioned this, but where is the conflict? PG wasn't President in 2011, and that issue was as far as I know resolved at the time.
    Additionally, we don't even know if that incident has anything do with the situation that PG is working for the AFL on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    "The other issue is that Wilkinson (on my understaning) is not indigenous, so there should be no concern from the indigenous community."

Is that the statement I've misrepresented? How else should it be interpreted?

All I know is I'm super glad I've had my daily need to be offended fulfilled. This is definitely about people's "current" need for perpetual offence and not at all about the league's self confessed inability to do better on issues of racism that aren't going away without being properly and sincerely addressed, for its own good and the welfare of its players.

Trust me I'd much rather be pissing and moaning about selection than our President helping the league avoid doing a better job on that front.
    I think I have explained that those trying to draw an inference from this about our inability to attract indigenous players are misplaced.

We have clearly show we embrace people of other cultures through the players currently on our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Shine’s employment law expert, Will Barsby, said the league failed in its duty of care and allowed the “racial abuse, sexual taunting in the locker room, bullying and mistreatment” to continue, despite repeated requests for help.

Barsby said the AFL failed to protect Wilkinson from vilification beginning with his first game, when he debuted at 19 in 2011.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Shine’s employment law expert, Will Barsby, said the league failed in its duty of care and allowed the “racial abuse, sexual taunting in the locker room, bullying and mistreatment” to continue, despite repeated requests for help.

Barsby said the AFL failed to protect Wilkinson from vilification beginning with his first game, when he debuted at 19 in 2011.
    Disgraceful treatment.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It may not be a direct conflict but in my view it is not a good look that PG is representing the AFL in such a sensitive matter.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It may not be a direct conflict but in my view it is not a good look that PG is representing the AFL in such a sensitive matter.
    Why? I can't see the issue, PG is a professional

Post Thanks / Like

The bar's so low in AFEL World on the concept of conflict of interest it's six feet under and frames what PG's doing as routine given all conflicts in league circles *are* routine and business as usual.

Setting aside potential conflicts, would we be comfortable with our President choosing to defend the league against allegations of say, rife sexism in an era when more examples of it are coming to light, coupled with growing questions about the league's inaction and wilful resistance to addressing the problem openly and seriously?

Probably not, so why's it more palatable if we replace 'sexism' with racism?

The noise around this issue isn't going away, thankfully. In part due to this sort of garden variety bile from elder statesmen of the game who're clearly accustomed to feeling comfortable demeaning an indigenous player while the league that's long harboured them happily trades on the feel-good symbolism of Winmar's stand.

If Pete had better judgement he might've read the room before doing Gillon's bidding.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

15. Thanks Daughter of the West thanked for this post