Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player upset by comments in Gold Coast-Western Bulldogs match

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Your wish is my comand
    Can i ask why it has been moved to the AFL section? Like Chef said it is about a bulldogs player, would just like to know the reasoning behind such a move
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

We were clearly targeting the first gamer, Joel Wilkinson (no 38), he copped several heavy bumps, and no doubt some verbal as well. He is of African decent, it's possible he's the player in question, but it could be a case of him feeling victimised due to his background, whereas in reality he was being targeted because he's a first gamer and it's standard practice. What some consider challenging a player, someone else might perceive as vilification.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    We were clearly targeting the first gamer, Joel Wilkinson (no 38), he copped several heavy bumps, and no doubt some verbal as well. He is of African decent, it's possible he's the player in question, but it could be a case of him feeling victimised due to his background, whereas in reality he was being targeted because he's a first gamer and it's standard practice. What some consider challenging a player, someone else might perceive as vilification.
    They did say “comments”. We could also assume that something may have been said without any malicious intent, which is common when communicating with different cultures and sensibilities, but I'd say we're simply scrambling to defend the indefensible because it was uttered from a head on a red white and blue body.

If it's true then education, not punishment, is the key, and I hope whoever said it gets it drilled right into them how unacceptable that kind of thing is. Then we all move on.

Post Thanks / Like

The below is from the Herald Sun - so disappointing

GOLD Coast's leadership group has initiated an AFL vilification inquiry after one of its players complained of being racially abused by a Western Bulldogs player in Saturday's clash at Metricon Stadium.

It is understood a Suns player involved in the match was upset by comments and the side's leaders Gary Ablett, Campbell Brown, Nathan Bock and Michael Rischitelli were outraged by the claims.

They passed on their concerns to club officials, who have asked that an inquiry be launched by the "complaints officer" under the AFL's racial and religious vilification policy.

It is understood the Bulldogs player involved has apologised, but confidential conciliation involving the Suns player and the Bulldogs player now appears likely.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Vilification in sport definately shouldn't be tolerated but its hard to comment without knowing the phrases used. If it is a pup then he should be advised on behaviour at the bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Sherman has been suspended for 4 games.

http://twitter.com/#!/AFL_PKeane

Matter from WB v GC game now concluded. Player Justin Sherman has issued formal apology and will serve four-match suspension.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, I can't believe that Sherman did that - he should know better. I must admit I was thinking it was perhaps one of our younger inexperienced players! I am also surprised that he has been named and shamed, I thought it was all supposed to be confidential, i.e., that neither player could be named? Bad, bad, bad.......

Post Thanks / Like

Well alot of supporters were saying that we're a team with too many nice blokes. This is what happens when players take that sentiment literaly I guess...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Sherman, like we need to lose a guy that can kick goals at the moment. I was pretty excited about picking him up and early on he looked good. Since then, over the top goal celebrations, a less than total team attitude and now this is starting to put me off him. The guy is quick and talented, the rest can be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just edited a couple of posts and removed some comments speculating about who this article may have related to.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't find anywhere else to post this.

I just read a post from Joel Wilkinson from late last week re: suing the AFL over his mis-treatment when a player, and he mentions Peter Gordon represented the AFL (as well as multiple clubs & players) in this matter.

That doesn't sit well with me....at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Couldn't find anywhere else to post this.

I just read a post from Joel Wilkinson from late last week re: suing the AFL over his mis-treatment when a player, and he mentions Peter Gordon represented the AFL (as well as multiple clubs & players) in this matter.

That doesn't sit well with me....at all.
    How so?

I am assuming Peter did this in his professional capacity, not as president of our club. He is entitled to earn a living.

Lawyers represent murders, rapists, pretty much the worst human kind has to offer. That doesn't mean they condone their client's actions or views. It's just their job.

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    How so?

I am assuming Peter did this in his professional capacity, not as president of our club. He is entitled to earn a living.

Lawyers represent murders, rapists, pretty much the worst human kind has to offer. That doesn't mean they condone their client's actions or views. It's just their job.
    AFL club presidents have day jobs - and some even conflict with their role as president (even though they won't admit it)

But the president of the Western Bulldogs, the club who Wilkinson made his debut against and suffered racial vilification from one of our players in, probably should've excused himself from that opportunity.

Not to mention how ordinary the whole thing looks. I'm disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    AFL club presidents have day jobs - and some even conflict with their role as president (even though they won't admit it)

But the president of the Western Bulldogs, the club who Wilkinson made his debut against and suffered racial vilification from one of our players in, probably should've excused himself from that opportunity.

Not to mention how ordinary the whole thing looks. I'm disappointed.
    Noted this was re-reported last week and ultimately hesitated to post it. Glad you didn't.

The ethics of acting for the AFEL on a matter like this are for PG to personally weigh, and he evidently has. He owns a long and distinguished record of representing righteous, moral causes.

But, as the head of a club that's spoken at length about its lack of indigenous representation and wanting to remedy that it's not hard to think actions like this give might give Indigenous players cause to doubt our organisational sincerity and creates an air of professional conflict if nothing else.

I'm surprised and pretty disappointed in the President's judgement on this.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Thanks The Pie Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Noted this was re-reported last week and ultimately hesitated to post it. Glad you didn't.

The ethics of acting for the AFEL on a matter like this are for PG to personally weigh, and he evidently has. He owns a long and distinguished record of representing righteous, moral causes.

But, as the head of a club that's spoken at length about its lack of indigenous representation and wanting to remedy that it's not hard to think actions like this give might give Indigenous players cause to doubt our organisational sincerity and creates an air of professional conflict if nothing else.

I'm surprised and pretty disappointed in the President's judgement on this.
    You do realise this was 9 years ago. A lot has gone under the bridge since then.
    That incident must have been settled or it would have come up a lot more back then.
    Bring back the biff