Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs to lodge complaint - Callan Ward

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will lodge an official complaint with the AFL following an approach by Greater Western Sydney towards young midfielder Callan Ward.

Ward has confirmed he was approached by GWS officials just under a fortnight ago where they offered him a five-year deal reportedly worth almost $5 million, The Australian reports.

The Bulldogs' football operations manager James Fantasia will now take the matter up directly with the AFL, believing the approach violates League rules regarding player poaching.

Earlier in the week, Callan's mother Kerri was quoted in The Age regarding the difficult decision her son faced in choosing loyalty or riches.

Ward is believed to have been told he has two weeks to decide whether to take up the lucrative offer.

Ward, 20, was drafted at No.19 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft and has played 51 games for the Bulldogs.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/defa...?newsid=117359

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to lodge complaint - Callan Ward

I know for a fact that he has still not yet decided what he is going to do.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a joke isn't it.

That sort of money should be aimed at clubs like Collingwood for Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas. For some reason they are immune to GWS poaching but Ward who is an up and coming but by no means elite player of the league gets offered this much money just because he would be mad to refuse it.

I understand the need for GWS to get some kind of a side of experienced players but if this type of action is allowed to occur you may as well just call it the Australian premier league where the rich clubs just buy the best of the poorer clubs so they are always on top.

I thought this was a thing of the past in the AFL but obviously not.

Post Thanks / Like

So if Ward doesn't agree they move to Wood, then Roughead and so on until they snare someone. For that cash it seems inevitable that one of our young talents will be moving by years end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    So if Ward doesn't agree they move to Wood, then Roughead and so on until they snare someone. For that cash it seems inevitable that one of our young talents will be moving by years end.
    Roughead is contracted til end of 2012. GWS would be scoping him now but can only pick him up at the end of next year. It would appear that Ward & Wood are the only ones in the immediate sights of GWS for this season. Great if we can keep both, but probably realistic to expect to lose one.

neddie Guest

$5 million! He'd be a fool if he did not take it. Goodbye Ward!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet, lets see how many more distractions we can muster up before Friday nights game!

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see that the club is simply not just lying down and copping this outrage. The underhanded way that GWS has gone about their recruiting is very concerning. I just hope their 'take it or leave it' approach gets them shot in the foot once or twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Demetrio's response wasn't encouraging - looks like the AFL are not keen to probe too deeply into this. Can someone tell me why GWS would want to pay Callan $1M per year in the first place? Really annoys me that the Collingwoods, Carltons and Essendons seem to be immune to the new clubs coming in but we cop it between the eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsimmo View Post
    Demetrio's response wasn't encouraging - looks like the AFL are not keen to probe too deeply into this. Can someone tell me why GWS would want to pay Callan $1M per year in the first place? Really annoys me that the Collingwoods, Carltons and Essendons seem to be immune to the new clubs coming in but we cop it between the eyes.
    Because the salary cap is too easily circumvented and money alone won't pull players from these clubs, they'll get it anyway.

It's the same reason why free agency will kill us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsimmo View Post
    If you are a good player, the Collingwood brand will ensure you are well looked after when you retire.
    Everyone knows their players, they are always on tv, they get well looked after by the club through endoresements/facilities, all because everyone wants to sponsor the most popular footy club in Australia.
    Why would a player want to leave that club?
    Sure GWS can offer bucket loads of money however what could GWS offer Pendelbury post career?
    Pies will offer their players a decent amount of money and post career, they will get looked after.
    I cant think of any player in the last 10 years that has left the club against Collingwood's wishes.
    Last edited by Desipura; 30-06-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I cant think of any player in the last 10 years that has left the club against their wishes.
    Nick Davis
    Heath Scotland
    Chris Tarrant
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Still doesn't answer why GWS would want to pay Callan $1M - I love the way the kid goes about it, but he is no Chris Judd

Post Thanks / Like

This will be about as useless as complaining about your wife to your mother-in-law

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Nick Davis
    Heath Scotland
    Chris Tarrant
    I meant against the clubs wishes